Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Reg New Yer. Our friend in Laois

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I know someone who bought a Dacia Logan in 2014 after driving Fords and Opels over the years and changing them up ever year or two.

They told me that the dealer and mechanic relative assured them that it will hold its value over the years like a Toyota or VW and that Dacia are the "new thing". When I heard I told her that it was bull and to look elsewhere at even Hyundai or Kia.

Anyways she bought the Logan, went back in to the dealer after around 18 months to trade it in. That same Logan is still in her driveway today 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

To be fair, Dacia do generally fare very well in terms of residual values vs other brands, certainly compared to the flood the market Koreans.

18 months old is a terrible time to trade in if you are looking for a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Resale on stuff like Sandero and Dusters is phenomenal compared to their new price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I do believe that because for one Dacia never sold cars here before 2015 and two the Logan was never sold here. So what country was this in that it happened because it was not Ireland or the UK?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Yes you are right there. Forgot about that one. Never seen many of them. What was it MCV stood for again?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Now now. You made a bit of a fool out of yourself with that one 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Do we reckon he will go a third time this year with the prospect of a 222 LS reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fair point, changing the law because of one person wouldn’t be a sensible reaction. I suppose I was just frustrated at the lack of consideration of environmental impact of such conspicuous consumption.

And do your buy stuff yourself, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The guy can afford it, the cars get resold, he's happy, the dealer is happy, the used car customer is happy.

There's far too much of this begrudgery and prostrating "everyone should live like peasants" stuff being shoved in to every aspect of society here so the Green types can tell themselves they're saving the bunnies while China, the US, Russia and other nations do whatever they like and will emit vastly more damaging emissions than Ireland ever will.

Stuff? Yes.

The single biggest environmental and financial purchase, of something that is designed to have a 20 year lifespan every year? No.

So keeping a car for maybe five years or maybe ten years is "living like a peasant" now? Awful lot of peasants around so.

Yeah look i see your point but where do you draw the line. Despite the boards mindset, not that many people actually trade in every year, his impact on anything is miniscule. If i had the money and wanted to do it, I certainly wouldn't pull back on it for environmental reasons. He'd probably negate the production Co2 of the car by turning his thermostat down by 1 degree or upgrading his central heating but as is typically the case it's easy ro pick on the motorist. We absolutely have to protect the planet and try not to be wasteful but i'm also here now and I dont want to have a miserly existence and i think most would feel the same. If the new car makes him happy, rock on i'd say.

My own car is 10 years old so no sale I'm afraid! It is a "big dirty (3 litre) diesel" though that'll be going nowhere soon - unless the right A8 came up!

But if this man wants to trade his car in every year then fair play to him. The buyer of his old one may well keep it until it dies, or they may have bought it instead of a brand new one themselves, and a functioning second hand market is essential if the goal is to reduce consumerism.

Either way, what this man or any of us do will have very little effect on the environment vs those bigger countries I mentioned who don't give a toss about how much we give up, and I see no reason to artificially reduce my standard of living (as if the costs and taxation generally aren't high enough as it is if you're a middle earner) just so Eamon Ryan and his supporters can get the warm and fuzzies.

• Advertisement

I know someone that changes their car every year, with an approx cost to change of ~ €1500 a year. What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No issue with the chap changing his car. It's also not as mad as some think. He will be getting top trade ins I'd say with the small mileage he is doing so his cost to upgrade every year is not mental I'd say given that he is driving ordinary stuff.

Trading in a 5 series bmw every year could very quickly bankrupt someone but Ford focus or the like would not be so bad.

I'd say he traded as he found out the eco sport is a bit of a heap.

It wasn’t his first ecosport though.

We don’t have time to screw around, folks.

15c increase over previous record.

Listen to people who know. We need to do everything we can now. If the Chinese aren’t on board, we need to work twice as hard, not use them as a Bart Simpson level excuse. If they can turn down their heating, they need to turn down their heating AND stop being responsible for the environmental cost of manufacturing and disposal of what should be a 5-10 year purchase every ducking year, just to show off to their neighbours.

Ah stop. The significance of what he's doing or what his actions are meant to be symbolising is being way overplayed.

I'd say it's actually good for the environment. Someone will buy that Eco-Sport now and trade in some Euro 3 or 4 shitbox off of it, the car already existed so the second owner wont need to feel bad for the environmental impact of production, they in turn dont need to commission another new unit and it's taken another heavier polluting vehicle off the road.

That and it's imortant to keep the national fleet fresh anyway for road safety and stuff like that. I dont know what sort of spec that Eco-Sport has but if someone traded in a 2012 car againt it, there'd be a world of difference in terms of road safety.

And the trade in will live on through recycling.

Stuff has to be replaced too. Not buying a new car really really has a very tiny impact on a persons carbon footprint vs any other lifestyle choice they could make.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What are you doing on a motoring forum spouting environmental stuff. The guy buys a car. Someone else uses the old one. He spends a few quid. Dealer makes a few quid. Government takes a heap of tax off it. They are free to put that tax to good environmental use.

If anything this war shows the stupidity of penalizing ordinary hard working people with carbon taxes for heating their homes or driving to work when no other options are available, all the while Putin, is doing more environmental damage every minute than all the cars in Ireland put together would do in years and years.

All these environmental doom predictions totally and utterly ignore our ability to Engineer solutions. An example of this was the maps that were doing the rounds showing half of Dublin under water by a certain year. Did anyone consider that people might actually Engineer stuff to reduce such issues.

The poor man probably living a very frugal life and just keeps a new car and you coming on here basically calling him an environmental terrorist.

It's sickening and the poor man only following the advice of the green party to keep a low CO2 car.

Start at your own door and see how perfect an existence you lead.

The whole argument, our impact on the problem, and our ability to resolve it, is massively overblown in this country.

As I said earlier, this environmental agenda is being wedged into every aspect of life here to where you'd think we were the most polluting nation on the planet (and none of this pro-capita stuff either)

It's the same nonsense as happened when the Greens were last in power and we ended up with a two tier motor tax system, perfectly good cars devalued or out of reach overnight, and the massive shift to diesel that followed - and we know how that's turned out.

When China, the USA and the other counties that have been mentioned start taking the "problem" seriously then we can talk about Ireland's role in the solution, but until then there is absolutely no point in prostrating ourselves and levelling still more taxes on ordinary people so Eamon Ryan (who lives in his own world anyway from the stuff he comes out with) and his supporters can feel better about themselves and chase those social media attaboys.

• Advertisement

Advertisement