Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What big companies do you think will not be around in the next 5 years?

Options
  • 16-03-2022 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I think Netfliks will be gone in the next 5 years. Let's be honest here they are bleeding customers and charging ever more for crap content. I say good buy to bad rubbish anyway. They will not be missed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

netflix could be bought by someone like amazon / google

Facebook - gone

SpaceX - one crash away from it all going wrong

tiktok - social media burn bright crash hard

anything boris johnston owns

anything trump owns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

Facebook,

I actually enjoy the idea of keeping a record of what you were doing over the years and is nice to look back on and keep up with friends abroad.

It's gone off a cliff in terms of usability,it's so bad I can only assume its deliberate for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

netflix could be bought by someone like amazon / google

Hopefully not.

Facebook - gone

Again Hopefully not.

Na crashes get then coverage. Nothing happening is worse for them.

They were supposed to have launched SN20 by now and we are still waiting. People get bored waiting. Just do it dam it

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Advertisement
    Ms

Yes I agree. It's certainly not as good as it was 10+years ago. Maybe it is just trying to do too much and be too much to satisfy everyone so it's just gone bad.

I would not mind if Twiiter fell of a cliff and disappeared do.

I would say it's on it's way. Hear less about it theses days.

It's bad for the mind it is.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They aren't of course, added 4m net customers overall in 2021. But sure who wants facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tesla they are way over valued, have a poor selection of models and the legacy auto makers are catching fast while some have already overtaken them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,110 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

None of those companies mentioned will be gone in 5 years.

• Advertisement
    Ms

PayPal will also be gone in 5 years time or less. I used to use it when it was easy to use but it's impossible to use now. Who even uses it now?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

This thread is hilarious, seriously out of touch.

Netflix, Facebook gone in 5 years!

Realistically in the next 5 years, Uber & Lyft could be gone. Both have never made a profit with pressure on Uber now to be making money seeing as it's a stock traded company. Raising prices pushes it into regular taxi prices. It was banking on driverless cars as the future.

Just Eat is another tech unicorn that could soon be gone. Massive losses every year with no path to profitability. Soon the money will run out. They lost over 1 billion last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i reckon a lot of car manufacturers will face the wall, what with the price of fuel more & more people are turning to EV's so the ones that don't embrace the change will go the way of the dodo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

While there's any number of small satellite launchers, to launch big stuff or humans the market has constricted right now.

Russia isn't exporting engines and Bezos is years late developing his engine and all of the other remaining medium to large US commercial rockets are booked out. Their replacements don't exist. All the Araine 5's are booked out too and the 6 hasn't arrived yet. Soyuz is also off limits. Japan and India don't have a high launch volume. That leaves SpaceX with a captive market for a few years.

And they have the longest run of successful payloads to correct orbit by anyone ever. And thanks to StarLink even if they have multiple crashes they can still be their own customer to keep flying while working out any problems.

Tesla on the other hand ..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Car manufacturers are huge conglomerates, most of them with over a century of existence that have adapted over the decades.

Many have huge R+D facilities and budgets.

Sure there may be mergers and consolatations but none of the big ones are not embracing change so none will go the way of the dodo.

Again seriously!

I don't use them so they must be obselete.

PayPal made 1 billion profit last year & are the leading web payment company in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Toyota and Ford are the only mainstream independent manufacturers now with nearly ever other marque part of either Stellantis, VAG or GM.

🙈🙉🙊

The only car manufacturers that will disappear are the small Asian brands which will upset AMKC.

Subaru, Suzuki, Daihatsu will be absorbed in Toyota making clones of Toyota vehicles.

Mazda & Honda are too small to survive the EV revolution without some sort of platform sharing development deal. See Honda deal with Sony on EV & car tech/sensors.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Netflix ? there will be a consolidation of streaming companies those with the biggest pockets or biggest backers will survive. Disney will be OK.

There's a trend to use software to hobble hardware. Like John Deere locking out non-approved dealers. Or BMW where optional extras are optional. You get heated seats for three years. Unless you start paying and keep paying they get disabled. At some point that sort of BS will bite hard and companies will lose reputations that took generations to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

They are terrible, but the banking system in the US is worse. They'll easily be around in 5 years, but maybe not so much in Europe.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Your forgetten some. Renault,Nissan and Mitsubishi are there own group.

Daimler Mercedes are also separate.

I would nearly say BMW are in danger of disappearing if they do not partner with someone. But sure what would I know.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Totally, look at the Netflix financials, swimming in cash and assets too. Highly profitable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,110 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I think I posted that mistakenly. New boards keeping my drafts 😡

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Personal opinion does not count for much in the financial world. This is a company with year on year sales growth and constant margins, so clearly their customers don’t agree with you that they are unsatisfied with the product.

There is always the chance that they may be taken over or merge with another company, but the service is not going away anytime soon.

If you had come up with the name of an Irish bank or insurance company you’d have a better chance of being right since they are actually struggling to get customers to pay for their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I think they could definitely see a decline in the next five years but I doubt they'll be gone altogether.

As for what would drive that decline, as you mentioned the constant price increases without any tangible improvements in service would be chief amongst the reasons, I also see that they're planning to "crack down" on password sharing which seems like a punitive measure against an issue that isn't really that big of a deal for them and could end up having a negative impact in the long run.

The issue of password sharing is essentially the cost of doing business for a streaming service, next they'll have biometric sign in or something over the top like that, there's always another dreadful idea along those lines in the name of squeezing every last penny out of the customer with those type of companies.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Netflix is a strong brand, it’s user friendly, reliable, I never recall it having an outage…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I do find it bizarre that people use PayPal.

Why I ask???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Buyer protection and free returns anyway

Payment security

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

A couple of reasons to use it.

Paypal will cover cost of postage for returns up to €30 per item (12 times per year I think)

Also,and this I did not know about.

I bought 3 tyres online about a month ago.

2 weeks later I got €30 (€10 per tyre cash back) refunded into straight into my bank account.

Showed up in my account as "PAYPAL REWARD).

Advertisement