Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What big companies do you think will not be around in the next 5 years?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think you are off about Facebook and saleforce. Remember, Google is just an advertising company too - I think 90% of the revenue is from ad sales. Facebook is massive still, even if it doesn't really know what it is, a lot of people are still using it. Don't forget Instagram either under the same umbrella.

Sales force is a core part of many large businesses, like sap or oracle they are embedded in the companies core processes. That isn't going to go away overnight unless there is a major **** up, its not simple for a company to just rip out one of their major systems and migrate to a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Id just like to come back to this given what has happened with Netflix this week. For me, this is just the beginning for Netflix; buckle up!

I look forward to Elon Musk going to jail. He’s a wretched sociopath who seems to have a following of weirdo online nerds who defend everything he does. Also the cars are very badly made and have terrible styling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,461 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Netflix is actually still going steady, the 200k loss of subscribers is taking in to account 700k subscribers lost in Russia and over a million gained in Asia. If Russian situation didn't happen they would be up 500k users.

I have always maintained that the following he has gotten himself comes from a group of nerds who think he is like Tony Stark as his popularity grew in line with all those movies with Iron Man, as well as with the anti-establishment types who think he is some sort of woke antidote. The net effect is that the actual companies associated with him are likely disconnected from their fundamental valuations and achieved a lot of their value from being associated with Musk instead.

• Advertisement

They are now reducing the ability to share accounts and introducing ads into the service. It's all to do with the quality of their content; it is absolutely dire. I love the app and when there are shows and films worth watching it is a great experience, I would say far better than Sky Go, Amazon, RTE Player etc. Dare I say it but "Get woke, go broke" seems to apply to Netflix; with the big warning sign for me being that ridiculous deal with the Obamas a few years to produce shows on issues to do with race and democracy, by way of examples. I can't see them making any sort of decent return on that $65m, as much as I like the Obamas and what they do, the charity and activist work etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Isn’t a future growth a big problem for Netflix? At some point new users will level out, and they have fixed revenue yet need produce new content etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a $20,000 car with a $30,000 battery. Bought out the original inventors too.

On the other hand space travel is getting cheaper so the species should be in a better position to survive the next big meteorite , so there's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Netflix themselves have said they expect to lose a net 2 million customers in this quarter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

With the price rises and lack of new content I am questioning my own netflix subscription which I have had for years now. The interface is far superior to amazon and disney though. That said disney's big offering this year seems to be the kardasians so I might cancel that aswell

Suspect a few companies that rely on cheap imports will be gone, especially if grain prices keep increasing with a prolonged war. Think cuisine de france or companies that make frozen pizza in industrial estates

In addition to streaming from, let's say, non-mainstream sources, I have started buying blu ray boxsets for my favourite, rewatched shows and movies as you can't trust streaming platforms anymore. For older shows you won't ever lose much ground on the quality of the content if you buy it in Blu ray format. I'd be curious to know how to download content though.

Some are tough to get so I'm considering buying those ones on DVD.

The price is brilliant for DVDs, they're practically free to buy second hand these days.

Just on Salesforce, it's down another 16% in the past month, taking its total decline to 45% in the last 6 months. To put a 45% decline in context; in order to regain that ground it would need to grow 80-90% from its current price - no chance.

Again, as with Netflix which is now in cost cutting freefall, I think there is road still to run in this Salesforce drop. My point still stands that I failed to see how it could justify the valuation it was given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Peleton will either be gone, or bought up very cheap by the end of this year I'd say.

Who'd have thought that an over priced stationary bike with an iPad glued to it was a sustainable business post-pandemic 🙄

So what? The topic is what companies will be around in 5 years, not what shares will perform well for 5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Doubt that, all products including C De F crappy frozen bread will increase in price and the consumer will just have to suck it up.

Or they might pull a Cadbury's and make the products smaller and keep the price point.

If anything goes to the wall it will be the 'artisan' crowd as people count their pennies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

EA Sports maybe? They're planning radical changes to their very successful football simulation game. I suspect its success over the years is the main reason that they stayed afloat in the market all that time.

They seem to be moving away from the actual interactive football game, and going towards allowing users create their own content and watching other's content, as well as keeping the interactive game (but presumably not investing in improving it). A big factor is the renegotiation of the FIFA licence: EA had a relatively cheap 9-year deal that expires next year (or maybe this year); FIFA have increased the price significantly of future deals.

They're also going to increase the amount of revenue from in-app purchases like DLC which is not a nice thing.

Like I said, it's not clear what they do and they are, in my opinion, trying to chew more than they can handle. Their share price crashing is good for my argument that they won't be around in 5 years. Another "get woke, go broke" candidate hopefully, they won't be missed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Jaysus, go woke go broke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 porkmaster

Google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭quokula

There's a difference between not maintaining perpetual growth and going out of business. Fixed revenue doesn't mean no revenue - it will still cover the costs of producing new content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

They have already started cutting back on new content. Will be interesting to see how they cope with ever increasing competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Laying off 370 people in Ireland

I'd say some here are delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Tow

PayPal is definitely one to watch, eBay made it and eBay while still accepting PayPal no longer want customers to use it.

PayPal stagnated for years, they should have expanded into banking.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

looks like everyone really hates the paypal mafia and their ventures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Tow

I assume you are talking about the computer geek with a receding line hair, rather than PayPal it's self 🤔

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Boards. In rapid, terminal decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Maybe it's just me being an old fart but I still use PayPal where available. I like the idea of the merchant not getting my card details directly.

Same, just login using email and password and pay. No need to mess around looking for your wallet/cards

Advertisement