Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Comments

Yeah that was not bad. Comically my brain - distracted by work - did a weird fart and mixed up Coleman Hughes with Colion Noir. So I spent the first 20 minutes thinking "this is not what I expected him to be talking about" before my brain realigned itself.

Then I remembered that Coleman was also on Sam Harris in 2018 and I think I remember enjoying that episode too. Might go back and listen to that one again.

Lex has filled that gap that Joe Rogan left for me. Interesting guests talking about interesting stuff grounded in reality. None of the conspiracy nonsense sprinkled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I still enjoy listening to some of Joe's episodes. However, Lex has guests on that my own interests would broadly align with, psychological, AI, software, etc.

The Zuckerberg one was good as he came across as far more open than I thought he would be. The menagerie both entrails and terrifies me in equal measure.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Ah I see he had Dakota Meyer on again. I remember his first appearance. One of those guests who just left me feeling like I wanted to be a better person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

All the Joe controversy gone just like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Because the N-Word stuff was bull and people saw through it.

With regard to the Covid stuff, he was clear and honest about it and admitted he might have gone a little too far to one side and would try to make changes. You can't say fairer than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,912 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I wonder is anything else going on in the world that has dominated the news agenda for the last fortnight...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Haven't listened to the last few podcasts. Wonder if Joe will have anyone on related to the war in Ukraine? Tbh could see more people going back temporarily to the hated mainstream media to watch the war unfold rather than listen to podcasts about mma fighters

Why do people who use terms like "news agenda" think that only one story can be covered at one time in an era of 24 hour news cycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,439 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Good interview with Michael Bisping on the new one. Talking fighting.

• Advertisement

Nothing amazing in the Mr Beast interview but overall it was a lovely listen. Very pleasant. Just two people having such a nice conversation that leaves you smiling.

Rogan has had people on before who have - singular focus lets say - in their lives. Some amazingly so. But Mr Beast was extreme in this. Every single pop culture reference Rogan dropped Mr Beast was admitting he had absolutely no knowledge of it. To the point by the end of the interview he was saying "This is why I have always had no friends and feel like a freak".

He is so absolutely singularly focused on his career path and you tube creativity that he quite literally seems to have invested zero attention to the pop culture world around him. Yet his charity and philanthropic work shows he has anything but lost touch with human reality or human connection.

None of his you tube content is anything I would watch though. No interest at all. But overall he came across as a wonderful person the world is better off with than without. And being the front man on you tubes biggest and most subscribed channel - he seems incredibly down to earth and normal.

God the Sadhguru interview was painful. Not sure why I forced myself to endure it. Guess I wanted to feel "open minded" and receptive and to give him a chance maybe. But what a string of absolute waffle for hours that was. Not quite in the Deepak Chopra level of nonsense I grant him - but certainly going down that path.

And I struggle to even remember when he actually answered a question either.

Every answer I can remember had nothing to do with the question asked. The most egregious example I can remember is Rogan asks him what specifically he is teaching - and instead Sadhguru trotting out an "argumentum ad populum" response of telling Rogan how many volunteers he has and how many lives he has affected and therefore that his teaching must be something that "works". Which is not even _ remotely _ what Rogan asked him. And Charlatan 101 tells me that if a "guru" answers a direct question with a deflection about testimonies - then the possible fraudster alarm should go off hard.

And that is all even before he went entirely off the rails and started talking about summoning "other life" into human host bodies who had the power to make water on the other side of the room boil. Reminds me of the guy on boards who confronted me about a guy who was able to make news paper on the other side of the room go up in flames merely by pointing at it. Yea - news flash - I know how to do both of those tricks myself. I can make water and news paper on the other side of the room appear to spontaneously combust/boil too. It's a simple "magic" trick anyone can learn.

Anyway I see Daryl Davis is the next podcast. I quite liked him when he was on the podcast before. Just an all round lovable guy who you want to hear his story. So I will look forward to that one during my next run. Since he is on with Bill Ottman at the same time I assume the podcast is mostly going to be about things like Free Speech and Open Dialogue and resolving a lot of america's Bipartisan issues through that. Just a guess though.

Is Joe having more repeat guests on then usual at the moment. I just get that heneral impression but perhaps not as intesrested in some of the newer guests he has had on recently.

Really enjoyed the Mr Beast one. Had never heard of him but he seems like a really down-to-earth, head-screwed-on kinda dude. And using his platform to do good things too.

His videos aren't normally what i'd watch but i've watched a few since the podcast and I must say, I can really see why he's so popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,259 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The one with the CEO of Minds not being able to tell Joe who was posting his content in Minds, or whether his Minds account was hacked was the a bit of a disaster!

Talk about a demo going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Gavin De Becker and Michael Shellenberger were great episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

David Mamet, he could still be expounding on his theory of western decay and I’d still not have a notion what he’s talking about. Rogan tried challenging him in fairness.

He was pretty depressed about everything. Perhaps that is what alot of older generations not understanding the newer generations. Interesting that a lot of religious people are now admitting the bible is a myth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

One with Mike Tyson today... I could only endure first 35mins of it, terrible quality content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Dont do Duncan Trussell if that one wasnt fun to you

Thats the best part of the show is the complete diversity of guests

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Lol I just listened to the Duncan one and it’s my first Duncan episode and I love it. No stupid politics / gender / covid nonsense, just joe and a buddy being high and talking about the possibilities of well, everything

The Stanhope episode was very interesting. Hes quite a funny guy. Joe also put his head above the parapet and criticized the abortion laws in Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I thought it was one of Dougs worst. He was clearly holding back but I am a listener of his podcast

And it might be getting the stage where he has locked himself away too long in Bisbee and needs come out of his bubble for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I listened to Gina Carano today.

He should have had her on the MMA pod instead.

There is a bell curve Joe has regarding really really well informed educated people that know more than anyone does and then you have the likes of Gina. A tinfoil hat “COVID was done purposely” wearing fool. She said so much stuff that had be wanted to headbutt my desk.

Nothing worse than an empty vessel that thinks they know it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

She also spoke about being cancelled by Disney for the first time in an interview. And she is also promoting a new movie. I think it's great that cancelled actors can still get invited on a major platform like Joe Rogan.

Well she kind of cancelled herself. Another thicko victim of social media algorithms.

• Advertisement

I think its just a case that some athletes are more interesting and eloquent than others, like some of mma fighters you wouldnt automotically know were fighters. Carano unfortunately was not one of the interesting ones.

Advertisement