Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

price of leased land

• 13-03-2022 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

How much is leased land making this year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

That’s fairly unhelpful for the OP @Grueller

Would leased ground not be more useful this year with lads not able to drive on owned ground with fertiliser?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Land here hitting €300 an acre. No fencing, no handling facilities and water out of a small river

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Does the 300 include entitlements ? - I would understand dairy men being able to afford that

I also heard recently of young trained farmers paying that type of money, who would be from a beef and sheep background - how can they afford that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Naked land. Dairy farmer was the highest bidder on last news I heard on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Tis an impossible question to answer though Dinzee too without having context. I have land long term at €280, no entitlements it's naked land.

Conacre depending on quality in North Wexford is from €250 to €480 is the range I am hearing on the grapevine and give the entitlements back is common. Does that answer help? Probably not with the range and without knowing quality etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Is renting land viable in anything but dairy and maybe something unique like market gardening? Especially with those numbers above mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

For the last few years around here land was making in and around €200 - €250 / acre. But this year there is very little of it moving & what I am hearing is mad money, 2 dairy lads got stuck in to 35 acres up the road, €13,000 is what was on it on Friday. Know the two boys and to see them you wouldn't think either of them would be the sort to give that sort of money for land. No entitlements with it either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

There’s a 40 acre block of hungry ground that never saw lime or fertiliser in a lifetime near here up for letting at the minute, the first bid was €300 an acre from a dairy man. It’s up at €400 at the moment and still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Paying €150 the other side of my own ditch for 25 acres that I can cut silage off. Thought it plenty till I saw the posts above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That is about tops for land for drystock. ANC has a limit around 30+35 HA. Usually you any Glas you draw is off your own land. If it's naked you need to buy/ lease payments. If now and you give these back you are at nothing.

Top prices are usually paid by dairy farmers for land adjacent to them which they can add to there milking platform.

However I think a lot of lads do not do the maths.

Slava Ukrainii

Also you’d find that naked land can make a lot more because you’ll have lads with spare entitlements they need land for bidding on it. If they have entitlements worth say €150-€200 an acre to go on it then paying €350-€400 is the same as giving €150-€200 for land with entitlements. Normally around here if entitlements are with the land they have to be paid back to the owner so they’re only a headache really for the lad taking it.

if you are working, and on the high rate of tax, then 300 per acre tax free looks very attractive

Yeah it’s naked land so leasing entitlement’s. Leaves the land closer to €100 an acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well, to be fair, squeezing 150 out of a Cavan man is like squeezing 500 out of anyone else 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭einn32

What's meadowing going for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There's not a drystock enterprise that'll come near it for profit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I often wonder do people really understand how good this is .we ll say a 50 acre farm in drystock,would it generate 10 k + bps of say 5k.someone on top rate tax pays over 7 k in tax on farm income so there left with 7.5 k after working it and their time. Lease it for say 200 e an acre +bps through the lease which comes to 15 k which is the equivalent to 30 k before tax.how many would stay in their current job if someone offered them 15 k more for less hrs. I know there is a huge emotional thing going on but still it's very attractive. The figures are just for the sake of comparison.this scheme is the reason so many farms are now selling to non farmers as with its benefit its often the equivalent of 6 % return on a relatively secure asset

• Advertisement

I would agree but if you had say stand alone 50 acres, you would get 5k on glas, 1200 on ANC and entitlements of say 6k, that's a total payment of 12200 as it stands currently

If you made no money from the stock, you just broke even, there will always be money to spend on a working farm

If I got 300 per acre on a lease thats 15k and the beauty of it is that it's tax free - no contest

sorry KG i didn't see your post until I had posted, I think though we are saying the same thing.

What gets me about my current set up is the money I spend on the farm in the last few weeks ie 100 euro on diesel, 500 for fencing, 600 hitch cutting, vet last week 150. Always spending money.

Sorry now I don't want to come across as whinging but it's really hard to hold onto money

I thought about leasing a few years ago but at the time I was concerned about the entitlements, it looks more straight forward now with the new CAP

I suppose key is if you are in an area with a high demand for leased ground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

You never said a truer word 'it's really hard to hold onto money' lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First of all the 300/ acre if achievable probably includes BPS or you have to sell it on.

Assuming a 60 acre farm or 24HA.

The 18K is not totally tax free you pay PRSI and USC if under 65. A d USC if over it.

That 10% minimum. The auctioneer will take another 3-4%. Add in a 150/year for solicitor and stamp duty over lifetime of contract. 18 gross is about 15.3k net. You will probably need to insure the farm as well costing another 7-800 euro leaving 14.5k

Sixty acre farm will generate approx 7.5k in BPS, 4k in GLAS and 2.2k in ANC or 13.7k I. Payments. Any lad in drystock worth his salt will have a net margin if 200/acre giving another 12k.

Because you are an active farmer you get to write off a fair bit of stuff. 2/3's of cars costs, phone, electricity etc.there is the ability to write off other costs as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Plenty of naked land making 300/ac. Maybe it depends on the area of the country. The idea though that we could get 60 acres of land near here for rent for 18k and be allowed to claim and keep 13.7k of payments on it isn't realistic by any stretch of the imagination.

You don't need the auctioneer and they don't do anything other than advertise it anyway so you can eliminate it.

For stamp duty, it is a once-off fee based on one years rent. It is waived if you go for a 6+ year lease.

Are drystock lads with land that qualifies for ANC really making 200 Euro/ac profit?

If you have the 60 acres and keep back the minimum to qualify for active status, sure you could rent the rest and play around on the other bit as a hobby and do your write downs based on that.

For insurance, you can make it a condition that the lessee has insurance. If they are an active farmer, it will just be under their policy for public liability. Different if you have buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Again I don't believe your figures and you shouldn't mislead people the way you do.

€300 is without BPS, The entitlements I've rented out is taxed alright, The other land thats rented with entitlemnts is grossing over €400/ac tax free including BPS. the auctioneer was 5% the first year, haven't seen him since. Farming 10 acres I get to write off all the expenses you mentioned.

Also if I was young enough I could have a salary as well so all in all, financially I should've leased years ago,

Bass if you ever decide to lease out your land will you give me a shout on it!

Land is easily making €300 an acre around here PLUS the BPS on top of that and we’re not in the golden vale by any means. I’d say there’s not an acre of even middling land leased in the country in the last 3 years for anything less than €250 plus BPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

‘Any lad in drystock worth his salt will have a net margin if 200/acre’

must be a lot of farmers not worth their salt so, given all the talk about farmers losing money……….

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭eire23

Thats last comment is misleading. 200 a acre is the tops around here with the majority around 100-150 a acre and that would be for good land. Rough land can be got for less than 100. Land around here would be very good for the most part but dairy farms are scarce so maybe that's a factor.

• Advertisement

Do you mind me asking what part of the country you’re in? It’s certainly not the case in the vast majority of the country.

But even at your rate of €150 an acre that’s still double what Bass is calculating with a 60 acre block for a net spend of €4,300 (€72 per acre)

There is land being rented for €200 an acre around here but they’d be 5 and 10 year leases coming to the end of term and there’s not a hope the leases will be renewed at that value. There’s nothing to be got around here for anything even close to €200 the past few years and I’ve friends in different areas of the country that all say the same.

Advertisement