Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Officer competition 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

/sub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

New application form & word count for competency answers has been increased.

Post edited by prettyboy81 on

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Its gone from word count to character count. You're allowed a maximum of 4,000 characters per competency answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AuroraP

While I'm not an AP yet, I'll give it a swirl, could be looking at an interview 2 years down the road after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

What is the attraction of a a PO post in the civil service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 BigElmo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Well a friend is a PO and I think it would be hard to sell the job to be honest. Mad hours (prob more than rest of our friend’s group), lots of paperwork, and is under resourced for the work she has to produce while managing a few head cases who don’t want to work with little support from HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 BigElmo

I just started reading the 2019 PO Competition thread, and there is some agreement with you there - major disinterest and apathy towards taking on a PO level role. Out of interest, are the head cases APs or ASecs? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

There are €91,609 to €113,000 reasons... especially if you're coming from midway or lower on the APO scale, that's a nice jump in pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think it's a fair question.

If you're an AP1 the increase in pay is fairly negligible, particularly when you consider the added responsibility. However it's an obvious stepping stone for those with ambitions of becoming an Assistant Secretary.

There's no doubt that many POs are under significant pressure and working longer hours than they should be. However some people are available to avail of flexible working, or take extended leave - particularly during the summer when there's less political activity. Those types of perks aren't always available in the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I hear this a lot but I have mixed feelings about it.

On a fairness level, I've seen some really unsuitable PO candidates who are absolutely brilliant at the application forms and tests. They know they aren't getting PO anytime soon, they aren't interested in getting PO anytime soon, but unfortunately they might knock out a candidate who is genuinely interested.

From a career development perspective, I'd strongly advise an internal candidate to get 3-4 years of good quality AP work under their belt before they make a push for PO. I've seen people get it who aren't ready for it, and it ain't pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AuroraP

Indeed you are correct - and its certainly something that happens at all levels of the civil service. I genuinely think sometimes that people are often to get testing and presentation experience outside the JobTestPrep (et al.) environment - in addition to the uncertainty surrounding the panel timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 May Day

Where can you get the answers to situational judgment? Are the tests still at home.. then repeated in pas? When is your app taken into account? I asked as I have never done this before and was told that the form is not assessed until after the tests before the first interview ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

First dig at this one, application submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sammy96

No option to pick county location/preference on this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

The new form is lovely , much easier to fill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trickedout

Form submitted - good luck to all who apply

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Herriott

No, I didn't have that option either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Gosh this thread is very quiet. Death of Boards? Or noone looking to get promoted/ join CS..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 78Ned

It is very quiet compared to 2019 PO Board. I think interest is very high within Civil Service. Have heard only 20% applicants are from private sector

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Hopefully the latter and they just interview everyone! I think it's because people going for jobs at this level have done so many competitions they don't have any questions about the early stages of the competition. It'll ramp up when people are invited to video interviews.

I wish everyone the best. If anyone is familiar with or has advice on what to expect next I would be grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭APparently

@May Day the next stage will likely be online aptitudes job simulation tests. I would expect the window to do those will be within the next month. The result of those will determine whether you are placed on an Order of Merit or not. They will take maybe the first 150 on the OOM to the next stage which could be interview and case study presentation on the same day or as two different stages. Those successful at all three stages will be placed on a panel and jobs will be offered in order. They may then have to go back to the OOM and call another batch or two forward for interview, depending on the number of PO vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bluegreenred

Thanks AP. That’s a different process from last time. Stage 1 was job simulation but also an aptitude test. Stage 2 a video auto “interview” and stage 3 a interview and presentation combo. Is it definitely different this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sammy96

All information is in the booklet on what each stage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bluegreenred

Thanks Sammy. Could u post it on here. I did not download it as didn’t realise I could not access it post application after the closing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 78Ned

Amazed how anyone passes the different stages and gets on the panel

Thanks AP. That is so helpful and I appreciate it. I printed the booklet and it was vague as to the settled processes for this comp.. sort of could be one or more of the following.. type thing! I did the ap a few years ago and had to do the apprirude tests at home and then in pas again. I found that unusual. Sort of thought why not just do it supervised in the first place. Any tips on study on the situational one would be great. That was the one I did worst in! Thank you again for the helpful answer.

• Advertisement

I forgot to ask.. the simulation test for po .. is that the "in tray" exam? And the case study.. any tips on that would be great and I'll start studying! Let's hope we all get through. Most of us are probably already doing po work. It's the hoops to jump through I find strange!

Advertisement