Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi calling on Gomo plans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

All good here, iPhone 11, launch day €9.99 plan

Settings -> Mobile Data -> WiFi Calling

Switched it on and it asked me to agree to Eir terms of service. After that it’s on and shows in the status bar (Eir WiFi Call)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭spuddy

Just out of curiosity, what Access Point Name are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

data.myeirmobile.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

I am a €9.99 customer as well, have been waiting on WIFI calling for nearly a year as I dont have a reception in my house.

Tried enabling WIFI calling and airplane mode, then enabling WIFI and try to make a call, but getting the usual "Turn off Flight Mode to make this call?"

I am wondering if this could be an issue with my Vodafone WIFI router.

Just wanted to ask has anyone else had any issues where it works on one wifi network but not on another?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

No - I regularly use different WiFi networks, an WiFi calling works fine. It does require very good WiFi though, particularly upstream. Your handset firmware may not support eir's WiFi calling settings or may need to be re-flashed with Eir's settings (if Android)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

Only certain Pixel phones would work with WIFI calling.

I have Pixel 3a ( bought from Vodafone) and there is no WIFI calling even on Vodafone Bill Pay.

Pixel 5 working well with Vodafone WIFI calling at the same time.

no Pixel model of any sort will work with Eir because Google only enabled quite few networks - mainly ones who sold the google phones officially.

it's quite sh1t really as 5G, Wifi-calling and VoLTE are effectively blocked by Google for many networks even though the phones are sold as having the features.

that's a joke of a situation if you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

This also works in the UK. I’m with Vodafone and it only works in Ireland yet my wife is on the cheapest GoMo plan and it is showing as Eir WiFi Calling in the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Schorpio

WiFi calling (and VoLTE strangely enough) seems to have been enabled for me over the past week or so. 9.99 plan, S9+. It does seem to be rolling out.

Should also say that the phone was originally a Vodafone phone, but unlocked. I didn't have to do or change anything to make WiFi calling work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I didn't have to do or change anything to make WiFi calling work on the GoMo original deal either. (aside from turning on WiFi calling in the menu) Nothing happened originally but after 3 or 4 days it just went live all by itself.

Phone is Samsung Galaxy.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Is anyone else still waiting for VoLTE to be enabled on their GoMo SIM? Still not enabled on my OnePlus 6...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Works on my Poco but the WiFi calling is still not available for me for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eamonpendergast

I've been in contact with GoMo, they said it's enabled for all accounts now. It's not working on my Xiaomi RedMi Note 9 Pro, but when I tested on an old Samsung Galaxy S8 it was working. There's no reason I can see that it shouldn't be working on the Xiaomi, checking the testing info using #*#4636#*# it just looks like GoMo aren't provisioning LTE/WiFi dialing.

Post edited by eamonpendergast on

Is it Xiaomi Mi 11 5G lite NE ?

Couldn't get it working on Eir Bill pay.

It is working perfectly with Vodafone WiFi calling and VoLTE though.

I’ve tried same Eir Sim with iPhone 11. It did work, not from the start though. Ones you toggled WIFI Calling it’s bring you to Eir’s Terms and Conditions page, you have to agree to it to activate Eir WiFi calling.

Vodafone SIM worked automatically, no need to agree Vodafone T&C etc.

No luck with Xiaomi 11 lite 5G NE so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Xiaomi 11 Lite 5G here also doesn't have WiFi calling. A Samsung S40 also didn't for a while, but it suddenly appeared the other day on it, despite being enabled on the handset for the last few weeks. iPhone SE enabled after the T&C agreement.

Perhaps they have enabled all accounts but are working through enabling phone models for it? (I dunno if that is how it works...)

Post edited by MBSnr on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭GIMP

* # * # 869434 # * # * to activate VoWiFi

*# * # 86583 # * # * to activate VoLTE

Try these codes on Xiaomi phones worked on mine anyways.

These are not codes for activation, they just show hidden switches even if VoLTE or VoWifi are still not available to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Yeah these were entered weeks back on the Xiaomi 11 Lite 5G and they appear in the menus as enabled now.

But wifi calling doesn't work on GoMo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 daniruth

A bit off the latest topic but related to Gomo/Eir Wifi Calling.

From my own experience and that of some friends, having Wifi Calling activated can cost you money if making phone calls to EU numbers while abroad in the EU.

Our Gomo plans include all EU roaming calls/texts and some data while we are abroad in the EU. However, the following happened to me.

I was out in Spain where my mother lives. I was connected to her wifi, therefore, wifi calling was active in my phone. I rang my sisters (who have a Spanish mobile number) from my Irish mobile number (Gomo). These calls should have been free (as it has always been with Gomo before wifi calling because I was abroad in the EU). However, when I got home, I had a bill for all the calls I made to Spanish mobiles while in Spain. I contacted the network and explained the situation. I had to send them proof of my plane tickets to verify that I was in Spain for those days and so, I got my money back. However, it doesn't encourage me to have wifi calling activated anymore. If I go to NI or Spain, or anywhere else in the EU, and I am using wifi calling, I don't want to have an extra bill because of a flaw in the system. I have heard of some friends with the same issue using wifi calling with Eir while in the EU.

Wifi calling may be good at home (Ireland) or if visiting the USA to ring home in Ireland for free. But, in the EU, wifi calling seems to work against you, for the Network company thinks you are making a call from your Irish mobile to an EU number as if you were back in Ireland and that's why they charge you. I don't fancy having to dispute it all the time to get my money back when they see their error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Has anyone got WiFi calling working on a OnePlus phone? I've a OnePlus 6 and the options haven't appeared. I contacted GoMo who told me today that my SIM now has it enabled. I googled about it and read that with Android 11, VoLTE and WiFi Calling no longer work on OnePlus 6s...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

I have it working now on my iPhone 13 Pro Max, I'm with GoMo.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Working now on Redmi Note 9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

Does anyone have this working with the Pixel 4a 5G or any Pixel phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Worked on mine, then the phone updated to 13.0.5 or something and both stopped. Probably a software issue with the phone.

Post edited by alec76 on

Sorry mate, thought I hit reply to someone above MI 11 lite 5G - everything worked MIUI 12.5.7 or whatever ever was on it out of the box then it updated and nothing worked after that.

Thank you, so Android 11 firmware were working fine for you until you updated to Android 12 (MIUI 13.0.5)

I hadn’t chance to try with MIUI 12.5 ( only had Vodafone Bill sim back then), updated to 13.0.5 and Vodafone WIFI calling still working , EIR WiFi calling not.

It is good to know, I’ll probably just downgrade firmware to get EIR WiFi calling then.

Downgrading takes some time , as you should unlock boot loader to flash old firmware .

Unlocking request takes 168 hours.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Masala

Just check my IPhone 11 with Eir and WHAM ..... it now available to turn on. I accepted all the terms and am now up and running.

So all good......

• Advertisement

Yep eir was definitely working on the older firmware. I just tried a Vodafone bill SIM in the same device and VoLTE and VoWiFi are both working. Maybe Xiaomi forgot the add the eir settings to the update I'm not sure.

Advertisement