Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are we heading for a fuel shortage?

Options

Comments

What claptrap!!!! Do you even believe your own drivel as you're typing????? If I phone the Ford dealership on the 28th of the Month and order a new modeo & I lay my €€€ down ....then the salesman says ' shell be ready on the 5th". I go around to the garage on the 5th & he says " well.....im not giving you a Mondeo...im giving you a focus instead....or says he wants 3K more". Do NOT INSULT me with your " thinking it wrong" malarkey....... that IS the Oxford dictionary definition of GOUGING, plain & simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Firstly calm down, you're way too hot, just chill as emotions don't let you think logically and read properly.

Secondly, you're comparing completely different products. Car price don't change daily. Crude oil does, similar to gold, let say. When there's a little change in prices, company is ok to absorb price increase suffering profit or covers the loss by not adjusting price in case of a price decrease. However, when price has jumped by 20 dollar for a barrel in just a week time while this same happened only last year but in 6 months time, we are now in a very different game.

Supply/demand has been disrupted by covid which made an impact to prices. Now, war in Ukraine brought uncertainty and panic to the stock markets which lead to drastic price increases.

You may see some car manufacturers increasing prices as they move their factories from Ukraine, e.g., BMW. But car industry is different and price structure is very different. Car parts' prices currently don't change daily. Oil price does.

Here you go, that's the basics from the oil industry. You're welcome.

I got a feeling you're just trolling....otherwise the OP's post went miles over your head......when the OP rang his supplier he agreed a price / quantity.....he even PAID FOR IT there and then. Now, the supplier is crazy busy & can't get a truck around for a few days........if the price has increased in the intervening few days that's NOT an issue/ bill to be placed at the OP'S door. What the supplier is doing here is blatant gouging. The guy that phoned in on the 5th March & got a bigger bill ....thats business/ reality. Again, if you can't understand these v basic microeconomic fundamentals I must assume you're trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think we are into a time that’ll be “essential journeys” only. Trips out the country or to the beach will have to be rationed for many of us. Price of petrol/diesel is in insane territory now. And it wasn’t exactly cheap going into this. I’ll be walking more for sure or getting on public transport.

While the car is essential for most of us, I can see sales levels of fuel dropping at this level - elasticity of demand (?) from my college days.

Post edited by road_high on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I get that he agreed the price. Need to read T&C if a supplier has a right to recalculate the price or give other options (which they did). In such circumstances in oil industry it's not very unusual to recalculate price. Many people don't read T&C, they think that agreed price is 100% guaranteed while actually there are certain situations (such as we have now) when price is not guaranteed. In normal situation with more stable global price, agreed price wouldn't change to the customer as the supplier would absorb the difference which normally is insignificant. Now they can't do that as price changes are going way too high and too sudden.

Company must have a big demand, people are afraid of even higher prices so filling their stock, possibly shorter supply of product is due to same and maybe even driver shortage (covid not over yet). Some of these factors are outside of the company's control. And they delay delivery and increase price.

Not even trying to be trolling. I wouldn't waste my time for that. I simply try to explain how pricing in this industry works.

What exactly you're calling microeconomic fundamentals here? I only see customer is adamant he's right.

I assume he hasn't read T&C which should cover these circumstances. Otherwise we would be discussing about the company's T&C already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Was speaking to local garage owner this morning. Trying his best to keep price as low as possible as it’s a local station. He normally gets a delivery once a week and price was low till he got his delivery on Friday then it jumped to near 1.90 ..

Now his supplier won’t let him order a full delivery to fill his tanks at current price and needs to order smaller loads 2 or 3 over the week .. this in turn will result in near daily increases. He was hoping to fill his tanks so he could keep price under the 1.90 for the week.

Fuel company told him stock is getting low because an expected delivery into Ireland is late or didn’t materialise at all so delivery are to be curtailed for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I don't know how many tankers usually arrive to Whitegate refinery on a weekly basis, but there was two there yesterday, another one has just arrived, and there is a second anchored off Roberts Cove, waiting to dock at the refinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They don't take payment - they simply put a hold on an amount until delivery and then process the exact amount. When ordering oil it's always a Quote and not an agreed price. It's nothing new to the current situation.

Maybe so, but whenever I've ordered oil, I always got exactly what I paid for at the price agreed, even if it went up in the meantime

I was working nights when Russia crossed into the Ukraine, I immediately ordered oil at 94¢ online, when the office opened, they upped the price to 96¢, and by delivery it was 112¢.

I paid 94¢/l .. even though it had gone up by 18¢ .

You're probably right, it's buried in the T&C's .. but it's good customer service to honour your stated price... Then again, what about distance selling, and all those regulations.

Nonsense they DO TAKE PAYMENT straight away...... last two time I filled up payment taken immediately.....though the tanker mighty 'draw on' for another few days or until Jim ( local driver...same guy since I built this house in 1999) is around the area.

Refer back to the OP comment ( #54 of the tread)

• Advertisement

I've had a couple occasions over the years where the price per ltr had DROPPED between me ordering/ paying & the tank being filled..... I certainly didn't get a rebate or a few extra ltrs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's a whole new ballgame now.

If you can get home heating oil, at any price, fill up, ration your heating and put a lock on your tanks.

Because, by next Autumn, you may get a ration of little, or not get any at all.

Those of us on mains gas supplies will be little better off, because the pipelines will be throttled, in favour of hospitals and vital industries.

You're free to continue behaving like Karens of course, but in a years time, you'll find it breathtaking that you were ever so naive, when you get 2 hours of home heating a day, 2 hours of Internet, queues for basic foods, maybe 30 miles a week of private car travel, schooling taking place outdoors to maximise the daylight, with pens and paper. Consumer services and modern conveniences drastically scaled back or gone forever. Tourism ended. Professional sport reduced to one simple competition per code, if they're lucky. Probably nightime curfews also, to cope with the upsurge in crime connected to the loss of non-essential jobs and runaway prices and scarcity.

The pandemic will look like picnic time at the petting zoo. Better get used to the idea.

So..... I'm guessing , you're a glass half full kinda guy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Time to start planting lettuce on the window sill. Any bikes for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

We’ll be alright. Not heading for mad max territory. Still plenty of resources and wealth in the world. Life will go on and things will level off. As they’ve always done. Humans innovate and adapt

I’d imagine in the above scenario lettuce seed will be impossible to find and bikes completely unavailable!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

A certain sector will be on the look out for home heating oil..now thats its a valuable commodity, theft's will ramp up. Be vigilant!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

Buy wool jumpers and thermals - easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,684 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Does Ireland actually refine it's own fuel from crude oil to fuels???? Or do we buy in ready to use diesel, petrol, heating oil ect

Whitegate refinery in cork... Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Now owned by Irving oil, a Canadian company.

Stuff coming into Foynes or Dublin port is finished product.

And where does this finished product come from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,208 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Milford Haven in Wales as far as I know, they also ship to Galway.

Looking at marine radar, mainly from Europe and UK.

But some of the unrefined oil to Whitegate would have come from all over the world.. including Russia.

But I imagine those russian ships, or ships with Russian oil/fuel will be refused, just as the ESB plant at moneypoint is refusing a shipment of Russian coal, even though it's not coming on a Russian ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,208 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Russian oil due in Dublin at noon on Wednesday...

https://www.dublinport.ie/information-centre/next-100-arrivals/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Prices were going up long before Russia.

Sitting somewhere at a long table underground in Geneva or Monaco or some such place there's a bunch of politicians and billionaires watching their plans come to fruition.

"Look at all those stupid ordinary people with their silly ordinary houses, bending over backwards to their arsehole employers for a couple of quid to stay warm and keep their sh1tty cars on the road"

https://www.boards.ie/categories/conspiracy-theories

• Advertisement

So what exactly is stopping me from importing 20,000L of diesel from Venezuela?

Advertisement