Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help me choose an EV

• 06-03-2022 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

Looking to upgrade a 2008 Peugeot 308 and after doing some quick sums I talked myself into getting an EV however I don't know which one to get. I could probably stretch to €50k, the Kia EV6 really catches my eye as does the Hyundai Ioniq5, the V2L feature looks great but does this mean the car is also set up to use a battery to charge the house or even give back to the grid? I'm looking at solar panels for later on in the year as well so getting it all sorted at the one time would be brilliant

How does the Tesla 3 compare and are there any others I should be considering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

€50k is a lovely budget and you can buy several excellent EVs for that. Even the likes of a Tesla Model 3 as you will qualify for the €5k government subsidy.

You should really go drive all the cars you mention. There is nothing any of us can say that will mean as much to you as your own experience of driving them. Best of luck and keep us updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Going with the Skoda Enyaq myself, take a look as it's in your budget. although b1e prepared for a 10 month wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Nissan leaf. Awesome car for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vincentohanlon

As someone who has just gone through this process, I agree with this, just go drive them all to see which one you like. I actually ended up going with the Tesla Model Y but EV6 (which can be got for 50k) is probably the best overall package..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Regarding the V2L, I believe at the moment the car can only power things through the AC adapter. So in a power cut you can use some extension leads to power some appliances in your house

I seem to remember Hyundai are working on a wallbox to feed power bank to the house and grid but this isn't available yet

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Ev6 seems to be class leader by all accounts. My only devil advocate is do you need an ev6?? Would a 3 year old 40kw leaf be sufficient and you put 25k back in your pocket?

But look. If you have the cash and the desire then go for it. Your ev6 might be my pride and joy in 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Newoven

I went through the same process last year with a similar budget. So Taycans, ETrons,Model 3 long range and the like were out, Ioniq 5 and EV6 were suddenly available, and the Model 3 standard range/RWD had just been improved with an LFP battery and better interior. I was pretty confident they would all work fine for my regular driving around Dublin but I wanted to be confident that I could also make my other occasional journeys to Cork and Dundalk without concern about range or access to chargers. This meant Tesla always had a head start on the others as there are superchargers on both the M1 and M8, and now one in Mahon in Cork. At the time superchargers also seemed to be about to open in Enfield, Athenry and Sandyford which would be good for occasional trips to the west. The prospect of sitting in the fancy new car with family queueing for an hour at a solitary ECars charger and then charging at 50kw for 45 minutes halfway between Cork and Dublin did not appeal. Far better to pop into a supercharger with 6 empty stalls for 15 minutes if required. The one nagging concern I had with Tesla is its reputation for poor build quality.

So I test drove the Ioniq 5 and EV6 with all this in mind. I liked the EV6 a lot, the Ioniq 5 not as much. I thought the early pictures of the Ioniq 5 looked great but it didn’t live up to this in the metal. The EV6 looks good and is very comfortable and pleasant to drive but to get the best looking and equipped one means going for the more expensive GT-Line version. I also had a brief run in the Mustang Mach E but it didn’t grab me. I then test drove the Model 3 again and that clinched it for me. It’s better to drive than either of the other two, it feels more saloon-like than SUV/crossover and is more nimble. It’s fast, the technology is fantastic, the standard autosteer is impressive, and the range is pretty good. And it’s available in white for bang on 50k so a few grand cheaper than the higher spec EV6. I collected mine a couple of weeks ago and I have no regrets. No build issues I can find either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Thanks for all the replies, currently trying to line up test drives and will try to hit Cork on Saturday to test drive the Tesla which on the basic Model 3 has a deliver date of May which is the earliest of all the enquires I've made. I did up a spreadsheet a while ago and when I updated it now for the recent price increase in diesel, it makes even more sense to move to an EV, only difference I have between and EV and an ICE is the fuel cost and tax, I've kept everything else equal but I'm thinking there's even more savings to owning an EV such as lower servicing costs etc.

@Lantus I get your point about saving a lot of money and still getting a good car, i've never spent more than 3k on our 2nd car and our main car a 152 cost 14k 3 years ago (funny aside looked up same model and plate recently and they are still coming in around that price) however we're getting to the age where we want to treat ourselves and luckily are comfortable enough to be able to afford it so hence the thinking of going all out for a new EV given we'll also be getting solar pv.

@funnyname - you really should not keep everything else the same in your spreadsheet. Maintenance is far lower on an EV. Buy a Tesla and there isn't even a service schedule. But the big one is depreciation. EVs have far less depreciation than ICE cars. Have a look at second hand values of the likes of the Tesla Model 3, it's glacial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

And so you should sir! Whatever you get enjoy. It's an exciting day picking up a new car and no doubt will bring you years of pleasure. Please keep us updated on your progress and final purchase, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 rodderss

I am also looking I to buying a 50k plus electric car. I like the id4 gtx and tesla. Where do you even price a tesla I've never seen a forecourt.

So looks like my own Enyaq instead of being July 2022 will more likely be July 2023. So potentially cancelling and looking for something else.

KIA EV6 likely to be January 2023.

Waiting to hear back on Ioniq5 but looking similar to EV6.

To OP, make sure to your order in whatever you do choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

theirs a boat load of ioniq5 and ev6s due in the next few weeks, dealers do have some availability at least for ioniqs that is.

KIA guy I spoke with said he's been allocated 25 and he has over 100 people who want them, so if anyone from the first 25 say no it's next on the list. So I would only have 75 ahead.

Going to get onto Hyundai today.

I test drove the Ioniq 5 on Saturday, it was like driving a spaceship compared to my auld 308, will test drive a few different models over the coming months but from speaking to the the sales people it seems like 2022 is a bust flush for buying new EVs if you haven't already gotten your order in earlier this year. Rethinking that the best thing might actually be to get a 2nd hand EV and then trade up in a year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

I'm looking at an EV but as I need to get rid of my ICE in short order will probably go with a Leaf as the delivery date will be sooner.

What were the earliest delivery dates you came across other than the Tesla for May?

MG said most likely next year, Skoda said no idea due to Ukraine, Kia said next year for EV6 and Hyundai thought maybe end of the year but again couldn't be sure but one sales guy told me EVs weren't allowed a tow bar as they weren't able to tow a trailer, I let him off in his happy ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Thanks. I kinda need to make my move asap so I think I might go with the leaf for now and then maybe change in a year or two. I reckon in the current circumstances most EVs even the Leaf will hold their value somewhat and the 0% finance is a big draw too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think if your flexible on colour there's lower spec ioniq 5 (exec and exec plus) to be had within reasonable time frame too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

On the website, they have dealerships in Dublin and Belfast and a smaller one in Cork. Starting price just under 50k (most "options" included)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 rodderss

Vw cork and sligo are able to get a few id4's. We looked at a merc eqa , there's no point looking at anything else now as the mercs are in a different league to us. Collecting ours tomorrow is was an amg demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

tesla dellivery feb 2023 though...

wonder what new EVs are actually available to buy now?

ive been calling some dealers but getting conflicting messages..

kia/hyundai some dealers are say july

skoda/vw some saying 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You order Tesla on their website ,different sales model entirely to other brands, the Tesla depot in Sandyford have cars for test drive buy you no salesmen there or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Depends on the spec, if you change color, wheels etc it might be sooner. They also have cars in stock (3 Model 3s available now) for immediate delivery on the website, updated regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

How does that work as a matter of interest? Is it just someone in reception that directs you to the car?

No there are "salesmen" alright, but they won't actually sell you the car but will demo all aspects of it. In fact they know a lot more about the car than any other salesmen for any other make I have come across. And if you ask them an obscure technical question that they don't know the answer to, they get one of the mechanics to come out from the workshop and answer it

When you are ready to buy, you do so online. No discounts, no negotations, very limited choice of options, very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

like ordering on any site like Amazon , you select the product you want , in the case of Tesla , their are only four cars to choose from anyway and you then spec accordingly

We managed to buy a VW ID during the week. We were in the market for a new car and couldn't see ourselves buying a diesel in the current climate. We were lucky to get the ID in a spec and colour we liked.

Dealership told us they had to cancel 100 car orders with materials not being made in their Ukrainian factory.

Cobalt is also scarce so will he hard to make the batteries going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

It sounds ideal. If you have a trade in, do you just look to sell that to privately or Zucar type set up etc.?

Advertisement