Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Irish Labour party such a failure ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

She is a Women's rights hero for sure . Might not appeal to everybody alright ...

Have to think that Leo did her a favour running that other candidate in that byelection instead of Kate O'Connell?

Why I don't know, as it made it easy for her ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They would have been the party pushing for progressive change in the past, but they have been outflanked by all the other parties on that in the last 10 years or so.

Still looking to reclaim that flank though

This afternoon, the party's national conference voted for the full decriminalisation of abortion.

The Labour Party's Education Spokesperson Aodhán Ó Ríordáin told the party's national conference the practice of religious patronage of schools needs to be ended.

If they're looking to position themselves as the party of the ultra-woke, they might want to make Bacik or O'Riordain leader. Not sure a big Tipperary bruiser is the man to appeal to that constituency...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I wouldn't regard ending religious patronage of schools as ultra woke, I am not sure if you are implying that. Almost all primary schools are religious and only half of marriages take place in churches. So there seems to be a supply/demand mismatch here. The state pays for the building and running in these schools for the most part. I would prefer to not have my kids sent to a school where they are told fairy tales as truth. That is before you even get into the fact that the church was covering up for pedophiles at the highest level. Cardinal Sean Brady when he was a priest was swearing children to silence when they reported the abuse. He didn't got to the police because he "wasn't the designated person".

I'm more talking about the presentation of the issue, given that all mainstream parties are pretty much signed up to the entire liberal agenda now. Labour's actual policy on religious patronage of schools might not be that different from FF's or FG's but they are likely to make a bigger song and dance about it. I find it hard to imagine any TD at a FF or FG Ard Fheis putting it quite like this:

The Labour Party's Education Spokesperson Aodhán Ó Ríordáin told the party's national conference the practice of religious patronage of schools needs to be ended.

To loud applause from the floor, he said: "Let's get them out."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,639 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So they put the good of the country ahead of the good of their party? And we’re giving them a hard time for that?

• Advertisement

The pension levy/ ASC cuts still haven’t been restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Right and they shouldn't be either. It was about getting the PS to pay a bit more towards the cost of their pensions. The pension was not taken into account in the opaque bench marking process during the bubble. It was an attempt by the government to bribe unions to keep the peace, to the detriment of all non PS workers. The one off taxes from the property bubble could have been used to cushion the eventual crash, but were instead used to pay for long term pay increases for PS workers and also to take as many people out of the tax net as possible.

The banks should have been properly regulated at the time and prevented from loaning out large salary multiples. We know they can't be relied on to regulate themselves. It would have been unpopular and would have required a bit of foresight. Instead our crew of school teacher TDs decide to take the easy route and fling free sweets around to keep everyone quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Whatever happened to all those young labour TDs who were first elected in 2011 but lost their seat in 2016? The likes of Ciara Conway and Derek Nolan, would they still be members of the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If they had done that you could forgive them, but they put the good of themselves before party and country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

They have, partially.

The PRD, now renamed the ASC, and made permanent, starts at 34k approx.

So if you earn that or less, you pay zero ASC.

For staff on the new post 2013 Single PS pension scheme, the ASC rates are much lower.

• Advertisement

That’s not restoring the cut. That’s a smaller cut for a smaller benefit.

Where did you get the idea that pensions weren’t considered in the original benchmarking?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they're shooting themselves in the foot getting rid of Alan Kelly, it won't be forgotten (or forgiven) down Tipperary way 😑 completely nuts, unless there was something going on behind the scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Stewball

I think I read somewhere Derek Nolan emigrated which is kind of ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Not going to read the entire thread, but essentially from an Irish pov, they promised too much in GE11 and then when hit with reality, their voters turned on them. If one actually looks at the record, they actually did OK, policy-wise in 2011, but the expectations they built-in 2011 was so much and left-wing voters are idealistic anyway, it was always going to end badly. Then SF comes in and pretends they are the anti-establishment working-class party....

Yet, we will see how they get on in government, they will have the same issues, if not worse.

Social democracy has had a hard time of it recently anyway as politics shifts to populism. Labour is in that heap as well. Lots of attention to Green politics as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree, it's nuts and very self destructive. I wouldn't have strong opinions on Alan Kelly but he seemed to be doing a reasonable job. And given that normal politics has been difficult since he took over, it just looks very bad. If the party hasn't had a bounce, maybe those who plotted to throw him to the dogs should be looking at their own performances. I don't go with this idea that Labour is still suffering from being in government - that's a silly excuse at this stage.

Would Ivana take it - poisoned chalice if you ask me with a bunch of back stabbers lurking in the background. If she does, she could be the last leader of the Labour Party here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

amongst the working class in this country they've lost their way SF has that sewn up now, and Ivana Bacik is the last person to appeal to working class voters, she's too intellectual too bookish, at least Alan Kelly had the common touch

Post edited by fryup on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Listen to his voice. The words are lip service, no real commitment to staying in.

You have to be very anti-EU to allow a blank cheque Tory Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Kelly made no bones about it in his speech about getting pushed out against his will.

I hate everything about the Labour party because they have turned into a liberal upper middle class party who know little or nothing about life outside urban areas but Kelly was someone that ordinary people could relate to even if they didn't agree with him.

Chances are it will probably be O Riordain or Bacik to replace him and their only audience will be the posh Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Some backroom appointment ( be interesting to hear more re .this ) is what pushed him out . Could not see him going that easy unless they had something as leverage .

North Tipp will give out about it because they have done pretty well under Kelly , but the Labour Party's national demise is more important .

There will be a labour vote in Tipp always regardless .

If they, the Labour Party , don't get their act together by the next election they will be obliterated .

Some really good young councillors coming up that would get a lot of votes . ( I know one or two here in Dublin that I would vote for over SF / FG / FG in a heartbeat , if possible . )

One your other point ..

You don't know Bacik if you think AK is more personable .

She has a good way about her and has always fought for working people . She can't help her accent and education , and as regards the latter would make a very substantial opposition leader to Varadkar and MaryLou et al .

Alan Kelly has a gruff Tipp accent but that is not his negative .

Kelly was a known arrogant bullish person who did not get the best out of people and indeed turned a lot of those trying to work with him against him . Always right, everyone else wrong , no negotiation. You can't do that and expect not to make enemies behind you .

Having said that I felt sorry for him watching the news last night . That was very undignified to walk anyone into an exit like that , and it does not reflect well on the parliamentary party behind him . Cruel .

Watching with interest to see what they do next .....

• Advertisement

I don't go with this idea that Labour is still suffering from being in government - that's a silly excuse at this stage.

It's not the 'being in government' as such; after all the Greens have more than recovered from an ever more trying time in office. I don't find it implausible that Labour's brazen promise-breaking and the failure to do a proper mea culpa subsequently is still held against them by very many left-leaning voters, who after all have plenty of other options. Should help that the new leader will not have been a minister in that government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭PommieBast

In the case of the Greens there isn't really another ecology party for their core support to go to, whereas Labour were cannibalised by pretty much everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The argument is used by others on the left and by lazy journalists, trotting out the same old line - that Labour were to blame for austerity blah, blah, blah.

It's up to the same Labour Party to shrug it off and fight back. They should be unequivocal about water charges also, these had a fair wind behind them until that ***** in FG messed things up in his arrogant way. Then allowed the Paul Murphys to spin a whole new agenda. Most reasonable people looking at water charges by use, would still conclude that of all the many taxes, it's one that makes sense. Labour should never apologise for that and when others raise it, challenge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

It's funny the way all these years later you still have people saying "we already pay for water" or even better "My car tax pays for my water"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Labour backed Fine Gael as they shat on pretty much all their election promises. They even turned a blind eye to cronyism and jobs for our (FG) own. Thats why Labour tanked. They betrayed their core support. Now people have moved on but Labour no longer have the low income worker behind them. People with ethics hold their party to account. The good solid Labour supporters don't want to be sold out again.

What would have happened to the low income workers if FGV had gotten into power with Ross and Healy Rae and a few other stragglers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Here is the thing in labour's manifesto it was clear they backed cuts. If FG were in power on their own it would have ran riot on public expenditure. Labour insisted on tax rises.

There is a large segment of the electorate who believes that the Irish government could have told the EU/imf to fxxx off and they would have got away with it. No austerity one word reply - Greece.

In retrospect the IMF said they insisted on too much austerity but they didn't say none at all.

The Labour Party did say one thing in public and another in their manifesto.

My main criticism with that Government is that they didn't reform the health service at a time when no union would dare strike. Nor did they tackle price rising doctors and exorbitant lawyers.

As a teacher Ruari Quinn brought in a junior cert that lowered academic levels beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The demise of Labour says more about the electorate than anything else, cuts were necessary and were relatively mild considering the situation the country was in , we had very high social welfare spending compared to most countries and still have very low taxes on lower earners .

The biggest sin Labour supported was retiring public servants without appropriate cuts in conditions relevant to the financial crisis situation of the time and throwing new entrants under the bus but that's not why they lost all those seats

People voted for " magic money tree " SF sales pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

Instead of trying to figure out why labour are such a failure, lets just rejoice in the fact that soon they will no longer exist hopefully...and good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Explaining why in my view Labour lost support. No point being in power if you roll over too much. Labour attacking protesters was the real sign they lost their way.

Advertisement