Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No issue with the mower crossing that path as long as it’s level with the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭micks_address

Should be fine. You might have to fill the gap along the margin as it does look like its not entirely flush with the path but no big deal.... should cross that fine.

Thanks - fill with some soil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bauney

Hi Fellow Automowers,

Looking for some help advice here.

I have the Husqavarna 430x for 3.5 years cutting a 2000 sq meter lawn. No issues at all until today that is.

It has 5817 hrs total total run time (93.6% cutting time), distance is 9214 km.

Today was its first cutting day this year since November and it was working fine for 3 or 4 hours before the "Wheel Motor Blocked" error appeared.

I went out and I turned off the error and tried to get it going again. The right rear wheel was not moving at all. I then turned it off and looked at it more but I could seen nothing. Nothing stuck or caught on it. Both wheels moved the same by hand when i rotate them while under investigation. I then placed it back down and tried it again but this time the right wheel tried to move but was very jumpy and rough. It moved forward for about 10 meters and then awkwardly turned around but the movement was not smooth and its seem like it would damage if it continued. I parked it up for now.

In the 3.5 years, i would maintain it by cleaning (removing heavy, stuck grass underneath) it every ~1 month and changing blades every ~3 months. I house it during the mowing season in a timber kennel I made and then I take it into the garage for winter. I have never serviced it.

Has anyone seen this issue or know of what the solution is?

Thanks

Sounds like the wheel motor needs replacing. I have heard that happen some of them, maybe a bad batch or something.

Mine is on its 8th or 9th season now and still has the original motors all round.

I have never serviced it.

I'd say your hand is forced now. It'll need to go in, unless you feel like doing it yourself. They are simple enough when you open them up. If you are up for it you could probably swap it out yourself and buy the motor online.

There is also an advanced menu which gives you some additional diagnostics where you can tell it to do various things and test sensors and motors etc. You could get into that and see what you get with that right wheel motor. Info here

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bauney

Thanks for the comment KCross.

Update here. After the last post I came across this site https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vm47zEhPhs which explained how to open it up and take a look.

Last last night I followed the video and I saw the right rear wheel cogs were indeed very dry so I applied some lubricant to it. I put it back together and Hey Presto it started working again. At least in the short term.

Couple of follow on questions?

1) What lubricant/grease is recommend for this?

2) Should I still bring it for a service?

3) I know it depends on the Husqavarna branch but what service tasks do they do or should they do?

FYI I only realized last night how easy it was to remove the automower hood after it came across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzlHGyWo0wQ . This makes cleaning much easier going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Did you get it yet? Intrigued to see how the yardforce goes.

no it hasnt arrived yet but will probably this week. I don't expect to use it for a few weeks though yet. I've already done one cut with the petrol mower i bought the plastic garage roof thing as well which was bit pricey.

• Advertisement

ok folks... so this is my plan for the mower position and boundary wire (green). Should the mower face forward or backwards in that position?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

Lads bought another house for Luigi as the Amazon both metal ikea job couldn’t hold up to Irish weather. Now I know there are many camps in robot mower land as to whether to cover and protect the charge station. Originally I was in the it’s an outdoor ma hone it will be fine but as we are high up and get serious wind and rain from time I felt sorry for Luigi.

totally a plug for John on done deal but the house I got is fantastic. I’ll need to clean up the garden around the house now.

delivered to cork for €70 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I had to get a wheel motor replaced on mine last year, cost was €120 supplied and fitted from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dermotp

Hi folks,

I have a hosqvarna 105 automower and looking ahead to the cutting season which will be starting shortly,I have checked the manual and investigated all video,s on utube but nowhere gave me the answer I,m looking for,that is how to remove the cover of the 105 to clean it, I want to make sure I do no damage if I try to remove it,I m assuming you can remove the cover as I see with all the other hosqvarna,s,can anyone point me to where I can get info on this,

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Way over priced for a glorified dog kennel, even allowing for time and materials. I made my own last year and cost less than quarter that price all in. I do like the lift up lid part, handy for getting access, though hopefully you wont need access that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Mad money alright but go to a pet shop and check out the prices for basic cheapo plastic pet shelters. The wooden ones aren't far off what was posted above tbh and the quality could be way worse.

Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

A lot of the stuff in pet shops are made of cheap imported 10mm timber, complete rubbish. Usually find a local guy who is making timber products out of proper pressurised timber who would run something decent up. I made my own from an old chicken pen, 13mm pressurised ship lap and corrugated tin roof, not rocket science, Im far from being a carpenter but it does the job fine. One in pic looks a tidy job and if mafe of good pressurised timber then will no doubt do the job, with the hinged lid being a nice bonus, just think its overpriced, but what isnt these days?

To be fair lads I prefer my electrics to my carpentry.So I was never putting something like it together. It’s pressurised wood used through out. I didn’t want the flimsy dog box that would disintegrate. I agree not the cheapest but it will outlast Luigi. I needed a solid/heavy house as the wind we get here took the original house into the neighbours more than once. Tried everything bar concreting it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Any thoughts on when to send the mower back out for the season? Must be soon enough I'd say.

What prep work is needed? Just cut the grass down manually first?

Any good prices or deals around for a new mower in the 750-1000m² range?

Cheers.

I've seen these on myrobotcenter

The Worx is a more recognisable brand, but I don't know much about either brand to be honest.

Edit: can't attach pics

• Advertisement

Was talking about the:

Worx Landroid M700 €666

Worx Landroid M700 2.0 €799

Yard Force LUV1000Ri €679

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well, thought I might put a few notes on my expereince with my robot lawnmower over the last 3-4 years, while its specific to a robomow product, you might find it usefull to know, and also maybe someone might be able to advise on my latest problem.

Overall, I got my robomow back in 2017, so i've had 5 cutting seasons so far, going in to my sixth. After some initial issues with the install (ws professionaly installed), the robow mow (rs615pro) worked like a dream for prob 2-3 seasons. It then started to have a few issues, and I will list them out.

1) Wheel motor spindle broke, eventuially needed a new wheel motor

2) Mow motor died, needed a new mow motor.

3) LCD screen buttons stopped working (manged to keep it going by just using the app on the phone), but finally had to buy a new lcd panel.

4) Charging head failed (rush and corrosion on the PCB), had to purchase a new charging head.

Each of the above items costs about 150-200 euro, so not cheap, in addition to having to replace the lawnmower blades every year at a cost of 100 euro.

Now, to be fair, the machine is very repair friendly, most of the replacement parts are very easy to replace, following youtube videos etc.

I suppose, looking at the above, in parts and maintenance its cost be the best part of 800 euro so far, so the argument of it being a low maintenance solution compared to a ride on, didnt really stack up for me.

Clincher now, is, having replaced the charging head, it now appears that the lawnmower has to be "re-paired" to the head, as it is not detecting wire signal. Guess what.... I have to send both the charging head and the lawnmower itself back to dealer to get this done....150 euro more. Thats about 600 euro so far this year (ldc panel, cahrging head, set of blades and now the servicing charge from the dealer).

These things are not cheap. Work great though, but not cheap.

I had a small section of lawn also that last year I went and bought a cheap macallister B&Q robot mower for at a cost of just over 300euro, and despite its bare bones functionality, I cant fault it. Would nearly have considered a brand new mower instaed of all these repair parts for my robomow.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to pair a robomow with a new charging head or had this problem, would love to know if I can save the serving cost.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Had the boys out last night and there was an unforecasted hard frost :(

The were in the houses when charging but out around in the frost. Assume this isnt good for the battery, also assume one night isnt going to kill the battery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Neighbor had his out cutting the last week and yesterday morning it was gone. I wonder did it climb the fence and go for a walk itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Am looking at the Landroid also. Seems to be very popular across europe but i only found B&Q here selling them and they are the older versions.

It would be nice to hear from someone who have used these in Ireland.

Landroid L1000 WR147.1 vs the Ambrogio Twenty ZR are my choices.

Lads any recommendations for an an Ambrogio service in cork. Not happy with where I bought it so looking around

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭freddie_

Anyone any experience with a Flymo 1200r? Have it a few years and worked perfectly. When I took it out after winter I am getting the dreaded "No Loop" fault, I have got an electrician to test the line and its perfect so no idea of how to get past this.

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

It wasn't by any chance a company with the initials DC ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭893bet

I am on my second flymo and couldn’t get neither of them working. Don’t seem to be charging. Dies the minute it loses connection with the dock. No idea what to do with it at this point. Want out. Have the boundary installl done so happy to just buy a husk at this point.

Advertisement