Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Kelly stepping down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You specifically mentioned and linked an article where the only thing discussed was him being bullied as a kid and described it as bandwagon jumping. Or maybe you were having a go at him for being bullied.

No idea what the diversity in rugby tweet thing is about, or the backlash. Passed me by entirely, and I'm a rugby fan.

I like to follow you? I think you'll find I commented on this thread before you did. We both also listen to Today FM. In my case because I like the majority of shows, in yours, apparently, because you love something to hate. /shrug

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think the problem is no one can name another labour TD or member apart from her an o riordan. They're a joke.

Kelly is arrogant. Always seemed to me to be a bit of a bully. Is he independent now? Might end up sitting with Danny and michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I assum shiny young Sherlock will have a crack, his seat if fairly safe.

Joe Costello probably still thinks he's in with a shot lol

• Advertisement

The only thing that distinguishes labour anymore is that they wear a red tie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They must have read my post in the Why is Labour a failure thread

If they're looking to position themselves as the party of the ultra-woke, they might want to make Bacik or O'Riordain leader. Not sure a big Tipperary bruiser is the man to appeal to that constituency...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Kelly didn't under stand the systemic nature of capitalist oppression within Irish society, he didn't appreciate how that is magnified at intersectional points for those most marginalized. He didn't know the difference between a table fork and a fish fork and acted like he had 3 pints of Guinness after a gaa match, slapping backs, shouting and roaring like his daddy when he had to shovel too much tar on the road.

Vote Ivana. Return Labour to being a voice for the working class and the oppression.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Howlin? Hard to know whether he's sitting or standing , to be honest !

If they are talking about Ivana Bacik now for leader , its definitely going to be Jed Nash .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

After the next election when Ivana is inevitably dragged kicking and screaming onto the steps of Leinster House by the couple of remaining Labour TDs and forced to resign as leader I can't see her going with as much dignity as Kelly showed last night. She'll go down in a blaze of fury accusing Ireland of being the most sexist state in the world.

And then she'll get elected back into the senate on the TCD panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I can't see Ivana winning votes in Ballymun and Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Is moving from Kelly to Bacik worse than what was there? Would Bacik even hold her seat in the next election?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Big mouth. Fat neck. Mutton head. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

He was a poor performer on radio/TV and that's what ultimately caused his downfall.

They'll all struggle bar Howlin, and it's not clear he will run again at his age. This guy is calling three seats for them, with Nash and AK very much borderline.

They, along with all other left factions, are desperately seeking a niche that will distinguish them from the SF borg. Bacikism might just be that niche, as I half-jokingly suggested above.

My own limited experience of the Labour Party was decades ago when it seemed more interested in internal politics than winning elections. It may have changed but the SD split suggests otherwise. I hope whoever takes over will inject some purpose into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭crossman47

I think it will be the final self inflicted wound by Labour. They stand for nothing now. I was a long time Labour voter but no more. Remember Bacik pressed for Labour's stance on abortion to be even more liberal i.e. have a law as in the UK. This gains zero votes and loses some.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hardly a shock, he was detested by his own party, primarily because they think he is a giant prick.

Will be lucky to squeeze in again at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He may well end up joining Fianna Fail.

The question over the purpose of the Labour remains particularly if they elect someone like Bacik.

A very nice woman, but hardly material for the leader of the "Labour" Party. This is the party that used to receive it's votes in council estates. It might as well merge with other parties or take Labour out of it's title.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

post your own pic up there, and we ll judge!

the party was dispatched to do some soul searching, we re still waiting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,932 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Would it be a stretch to think Kelly will join the Social Democrats 🤔, I have a gut feeling he will and I suspect others may follow.

Aodhán Ó Ríordáin has been very very quite (thankfully) 😏 it would seem Ivana Bacik a shoe in for the Job .

At this stage it would make more sense for Labour to dissolve and just Merge with the Social Democrats, Mad idea perhaps but I just don't see Labour lasting much longer .

I was struck by the last round of annual Political party Think ins, FF/FG/SF needed large venues, The greens needed sleeping bags and a Tent, but poor Labour, all they needed was one round table at the end of a function room in some obscure hotel.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Bacik and her "smile" trying to give the impression that she's an everywoman over the next while is going to be hard to stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Ged Nash pops up on telly now and again, not the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

A.Kelly was & is a bit of a moron. I didnt think he was doing too badly as leader of the party though considering what his predecessors did before which was practically nothing.

Bacik will be the end of the party if she becomes leader, I dont see anyway back for them then. No bad thing either if it resulted in their complete demise. This is a woman who campaigned for non custodials sentences for women irrespective of the crime, dont even need to go into that one.

We have more parties than your average country but most of them do sweet f**k all as far as I can see. Time for most of them to consolidate & for people to start voting for the best party they can, independents should be removed too. Mouthpieces who actually achieve or do very little. I'd be in favour of a maximum of four different political parties given the size & population of our country.

Id like to see a stronger opposition (sinn fein have been poor so far IMO) & Fine Gael & Fine Fail amalgamating because they are really two sides of the same coin. Outside of that, the public can choose.

The party as a whole has embraced that policy

This afternoon, the party's national conference voted for the full decriminalisation of abortion.

In a motion proposed by the party's Tipperary branch, delegates backed the repeal of the 12-week limit for abortion on request; repeal of the mandatory three-day waiting period; and the ending of conscientious objection.

The party is battling for survival and looking for a niche position that would distinguish it from SF. I would argue being the party of theb ultra-woke, taking more sociallyn liberal positions than SF wherever feasible, could be that niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What is the size of that constituency though? Beyond a couple of hundred Twitter loudmouths would being über woke appeal to enough to get candidates elected?

In any case, don't the SD's have that woke market cornered?

In any case, choosing Bacik will probably end the party. I mean, she's in for a really tough time to hold on to her own seat herself. It would almost neatly tie off her political career though, by not just her failing to get elected, but her other colleagues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

I wonder will Joan Burton run again in the next general election? As bad as she is, she is probably the only longshot of being actually able to win a seat for them in Dublin west

• Advertisement

Why not? It's an urban mainly middle-class constituency, she will have increased exposure being leader and provided she does the constituency work will get first preferences and a fair amount of transfers.

Advertisement