Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fisker Ocean

• 01-03-2022 8:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭

New first look at the Fisker Ocean.

They mention a starting price if £35K in the UK which seems very reasonable for so an excellent looking SUV.

Definitely one I'll be keeping an eye on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering what happened to the US supply of Fisker Karmas, and which helped in the downfall of the original Fisker company, "Ocean" is not quite the name I'd expect!

https://jalopnik.com/fisker-lost-30-million-worth-of-cars-in-hurricane-sand-5958523

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

I love the California mode on this and the dedicated dog window with access from the boot! It looks like they're taking pre-orders/reservations before they'll commit to what markets they're going to sell in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,711 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bjørn Nyland did an interview with Henrik Fisker today about the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Sounds very interesting this. Price is the same as a Id4 in the uk. Will be interesting to see what you lose with the base spec. My guess is the windows further back will not roll down and there will be no sunroof or just a glass roof that doesn’t open. Different interior and smaller wheels are a given.

Its good also that it is being built in a factory that has produced other models so you would expect the QC to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭bf

Specs are up on the website, base model has no California mode & is 2wd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ryano87

Over in Amsterdam at the moment and happened to stumble across this earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ryano87

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Does it come with a "Tallafornia" mode, that auto closes and locks all the doors and windows, while the Sat Nav calculates the quickest escape route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,298 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seems like a really good car with a lot of thought gone into it too. I can see it starting at the 50k mark here do at least.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭fafy

Have been following it, but, do we know if it will even be available here ? No sign of any IE mention, on the website, or the Fisker app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Fully charged review

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Entry model, with smaller battery, and lower spec, the “Ocean Sport”, is priced at £36 k on the UK website, and €42 k in Europe, so a little under 50k here one would think, if available.

Ms

I wonder what the warranty on them is like and how long? Anyone know.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Warranty in 3 sections, and looks class leading, in terms of years covered:

Looking very promising, several thousand pounds cheaper than entry level ID.4, while having more range. And with LiFePO4 battery, a big plus in my book. And the 3kW AC socket in the boot (standard on all cars I hope?) is not too shabby.

Can't wait to see Irish pricing and more details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭fits

Oh look another crossover. 🥱

Ms

Its not just another crossover do. This one has been designed to be fully recyclable and its all zero emissions how it is built and made too. It will also hace a unique ownership experience for its owners.

This below explains it,

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Oh look another EV to take an ICE off the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Great that it is fully recyclable and if the claim that it is zero emissions is true (including manufacture, mining of materials, transport, etc), then credit to Fisker for getting it done. The part about offering a "unique ownership experience" is nonsense marketing speak IMHO though. How unique will it be when they sell thousands of these vehicles?

As @slave1 has said though, at least someone buying this will potentially remove another ICE from the roads.

I believe it will go on sale here too, due to the fact they are offering it in right hand drive configurations. Will be curious to see how much it will be. I think near the €50k is a reasonable prediction. I won't be buying one anyway as I think it is hideous but taste is a very subjective thing. 🙂

• Advertisement

It's £36k in the UK, where a Model Y is £44k

In Ireland a Model Y is €47k, so this Fisker should come out around the €40k mark. Not €50k!

"Should" and "will" are 2 completely different things.

As with everything else on here, it is all speculation until official pricing is announced. 🙂

Of course, but it is quite likely it will have roughly the same relative price here to other cars. So if that £36k UK price is anything to go by, looks promising!

Fingers crossed.

It does have some very nice features going for it so I will watch it with interest. Although, I still won't be buying. Way too big for my needs. :)

Not sure if I'd buy it, but I hope it will be a big success. Henrik Fisker talked a lot of sense that interview above - well it will appear above once the mods have merged this into the original Fisker Ocean thread 😂

It is quite big, depends on user needs of course, it is both wider (+13cm)and longer(+19cm), than an ID4, and the Ocean has a bigger wheel base (+15cm).

Interested - urban dwellers, will definitely need to measure their driveways, for this one.

Its dimensions are near identical to a Tesla Model Y, which is a mid size SUV. Wouldn't call it big at all. During a test drive I remarked how small it was, with a small turning circle 😂

But then again, I'm coming from a few Tesla Model S and I had a loaner Model X for a few weeks, Model S are big but the latter is enormous!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MartyMcFly1989

Did you scrap your I. C.E. vehicle when you changed to your E.V. which is primarily fuelled by fossil fuels?

No, that's why I used the word "potentially"! I'm sure someone may scrap an ICE when buying an EV. Reading comprehension is key here.....

My EV is also not primarily fuelled by fossil fuels but mostly wind energy with a little fossil in there. I didn't buy the car to save the planet in any case. Besides, the usage emissions from the EV are zero. An ICE vehicle still has emissions which are in addition to that from a fossil fuel power station.

That's a far a I'll bring this discussion though, I'm not getting into an EV vs ICE emissions debate.

Back to the Fisker Ocean. :)

• Advertisement

I saw the potentially part of the post, my question was directed at you, which the initial post did not answer. Reading comprehension indeed.

If you’re going to lecture me on reading comprehension, perhaps you should proof read your own post.

Not sure what your beef is here. To me it was clear that both @slave1 and @Miscreant meant that they felt someone buying a new EV is better than that person buying a new ICE car. Even though they personally might not be interested in buying this Fisker Ocean.

EVs in Ireland are currently overwhelmingly powered during night rate hours when more than half of the electricity is generated from wind turbines. So you were also factually incorrcect with your statement that "E.V. which is primarily fuelled by fossil fuels?"

My own 2 EVs have been 100% fuelled by solar PV since mid May. Hopefully that will last until the end of September or so. And in my own case, yes I scrapped an end of life ICE car (3l V6 Jaguar - petrol, not cancerous diesel) and got a scrappage payment when I bought my first EV nearly 7 years ago

If you read my post again, you will see that I did indeed answer the "Did you scrap your I. C.E. vehicle when you changed to your E.V." part of your question with the first word of my reply..... No. I comprehended your question and provided the answer accordingly.

The remainder of my post was in relation to your comment of "which is primarily fuelled by fossil fuels".

I was referring to the original post, which is why I asked you the question, you are referring to your reply which did answer the question albeit criticising my English, which is why I highlighted your own spelling errors.

Anyway, let’s move on and agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭wassie

Ive been a following the Fisker Ocean story closely for the last couple of years and think their lean business model and choice of production partner with Magna will give them a good chance of success (along with Henry Fisker's lessons of his previous failed attempt with the Karma a decade earlier).

The Ocean will be built in the same plant alongside the Mercedes G-class & BMW Z4 in Graz, Austria. This will hopefully result in a good build quality in the production process, always a massive risk in any vehicle startup...and assuming the design proves to be robust.

The 2WD Sport has a 75kW LFP battery, whilst AWD Ultra, Extreme & One models get a 113kW NMC battery (reportedly 105kW useable), along with an equally large jump in price. All batteries are supplied from CATL in China.

The only comparable mid-size SUV that will come to market anytime soon in terms of price will be the BYD Tang, although at present its battery size is 88kW LFP. (There were rumours of a 108kW battery upgrade last year, but I havent read anything since).

I like the cars styling and performance specs of the Ultra as it will suit our needs, especially if it has a decent towing range. But undoubtedly the expected price is what is capturing peoples interest. As a result I decided to hedge my bets and put in a reservation in July last year for an Ultra. If I end up pressing the button, I would expect to be offered a production slot sometime in 2024.

Im not fully convenced just yet. Biggest concerns are obvious ones - i.e. (i) vehicle reliability, (ii) aftermarket support in Ireland and (iii) company viability (will they still be here during car ownership period). Will be watching keenly to see how this goes in the UK over next 12 months. Buying a new vehicle from a startup manufacturer is fraught with risks, but I think Fisker have done well to get to this point. Fisker have missed a few milestones with regard to production, but not on a Tesla level to be fair.

Post edited by wassie on

I like the styling, if they get the build quality right, it will do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Introduced an off road version today. Force E. Existing owners can upgrade theirs too.

First true off road electric vehicle from a 'main manufacturer '

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Looks cooler than anything from Land Rover / Range Rover imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf I'd agree I despise the market is now just crossover and SUV frankly. They're less efficient due to scale in many aspects they're the opposite to the point of EVs. Might be a very very unpopular opinion but I'd like to see a eu wide motor tax replacement based on size/weight. It might stimulate manufactures back into more efficient shapes like saloons fastbacks and wagons.

I did say unpopular opinion... but I hate the growth of huge vehicles on the road and in parking spaces.

Funny as timing would have it, Fisker also announced a couple of other models

The Alaska pick-up truck with a target date of 2025. Pics & story from electrik.co

Looks to be on the comparable size to an ice Hilux, Ranger etc or ev Maxus.

Pricing for the base model US$45,400 for base model. If it is approved for US tax credits, will come down to US$37,900. The initial release model will be US$69K.

There pricing is seriously sharp and will rival the chinese brands. A lot of innovation coming out of the company on the both the design and manufacturing side to help drive costs down. The Pear, also aiming for 2025 is, expected to be sub US$30,000. US Tax credits could push that down below $23K. Early days yet though.

And if your preapred to wait, the Fisker Ronin.

From the Fisker website:

...is the world’s first all-electric, four-door convertible GT sports car. Beautifully designed with sleek, powerful lines, the Fisker Ronin represents the height of Fisker’s technology and performance.

Starting at (US)$385,000 before any incentives.

I like the tag line

"Built for a Category of One"

• Advertisement
    Ms

Ye I think most people would need to win the lottery for that one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I wonder will Fisker come to Ireland. Be a pity if they did not. I see the Ocean is to ho on sale in the UK sometime next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

So Fisker Ocean has been out for a few months now and reviews are somewhat mixed. Ive watched a lot of owner reviews and it seems for the most part the build quality is reasonable.

However, a couple of big gripes continue to be around the software. One is a lack of features yet to be made available (like adaptative cruise control) via software updates. The other is the infotainment system. The decision not to allow android auto/apple car play I think will hurt them when their own system is clearly substandard at the moment. Also being forced to use the Tom-Tom navigation which IMHO is awful after using googlemaps.

I cashed in my reservation last month minus US$25 admin fee and received it back within 48 hours. It appears after a promising start that they are not selling cars. The share price tanked also and there was a lot of rumours swirling about bankuptcy. The company was handed a financial lifeline with a debt-to-equity deal with a noteholder. Will be a tough year for the startup no doubt.

Seems the boost acceleration mode has a lifetime limit of 500 uses (see from 1min 45sec in the vid above) which seems strange.

Post edited by wassie on

You did well getting the deposit back, @wassie. Fisker is in trouble.

Yep - I had been watching the financials over the last year and they ended up needing to take on extraordinary amounts of debt. And then after the initial delivery of initial pre-orders, sales slumped and cars were being built and not moving. The fact they are now looking for franchise dealers in the US to sell their cars is also worrying.

Once their shareprice collapsed in November, that was the signal for me to get out at the start of Dec, although I probably was never going to purchase in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ms

A pity if Fisker go under again. What is it with Fisker? The first time they only had a sports saloon but this time they have more and seemed to be doing better for a while with really clever well thought out cars. I hope they survive and become profitable. They deserve to succeed the Pear is well designed too and the ocean is a very nice machine.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭derekreilly

My review and drive of the Fisker Ocean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

Was there any talk of a timeline for the Ocean going on sale in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭derekreilly

We nearly had them soft launch at the show last weekend so I'd say by end of year into 2025

• Advertisement
Advertisement