Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What impact talking about your finance is having on others?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭FacelessVoid

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sevenup79

Talking about money or displaying either signs of having money or lacking money provoke the same reactions.

It is so true. I am not into fashion and live modestly. Some work colleagues earning a bit less seemed to dislike me. I never talked about the cost of anything just got what I needed. The same people made a big deal when I changed my car. In order to blend in, people have to be seen to spend a certain amount on lifestyle. The amounts depend on who your peers are.

Go under the radar don't live a bit too modestly compared to those around you, but don't flaunt money. It is a balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PeonyPink

As they say, ignorance is bliss.

Im working in the sector I studied for initially.

In the last few months, between my friends and partner, I was shocked to learn they earn triple what I am on in the private sector and I am now very unsettled and disillusioned in my job. It has definitely made me question why I stayed on this path and why I’m working in an extremely hard and draining job and paid peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Try not to be too frustrated by that. I worked for years as a contractor. My headline number, the amount per hour etc was higher what someone in the corporate job was earning, and maybe higher again than what the public service equivalent would take in. But, I didn't have a pension contribution, health insurance, life or ill ness benefits , training paid for, annual leave etc etc. So I stopped being a contractor because those other benefits are worth a lot more to me now that I have a family to support too. It's not always as straightforward as salary. Sometimes the "soft" benefits like flexibility, better parental leave, job sharing, or possible career breaks etc are worth more in your life than the number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭foxsake

I have never told anybody what I earn or savings.

In fact I'm not sure my wife would even know my earnings.

I actually cringe when fellas tell me what they earn and certainly never tell family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Being English. I was taught that it was bad taste to talk about money. I've found people are FAR more upfront here! I don't tell people what I earn - it's none of their business...

I went back to work after a spell of unemployment. I needed a new wardrobe, so I was buying bits every week - a top, a jumper, pair of trousers - whatever. One of my Irish friends remarked I was buying a lot of new things and how could I afford it. I told her I sold drugs (of course I don't!). Point being - she shut up fairly smartly after that.

We also decided to change our car a few years ago. Got smart remarks about that too - so we told her we robbed a bank. See OP? Either you tell people live and direct to Eff Off and mind their own business -or make cracks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭FacelessVoid

Hello all. After some long time I come back on this forum. Thank you all for the advices, it means a lot to me. 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Nobody knows what other people's circumstances are. People abroad may well think our salaries in Ireland are fabulously high - but they don't know what the cost of living is here.

Lending money? I've only lent any substantial amount to one brother - and I only had it because I was saving for a large purchase at the time. I know he's sensible with money, and he only needed it for 6 months or so, and we agreed that he'd pay me back by a certain date, PLUS the interest I'd have earned on it, if I'd left it in the bank. He paid me back before the time agreed. Other than that, I've never lent anyone anything, unless I could afford to lose it - €20 here or there, max €50.

Even friends have no idea of your responsibilities - they might 'know' it intellectually, but not emotionally, they just don't get it, even with repeated explanations. It'd do your head in.

Anyway, long way of saying there's no need to give ANYONE (other than your partner) exact figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gorse

I'd be going against the grain here, but I'd see it as a positive if people could be more open about what they earn. Then someone starting out or switching sectors could have a realistic idea of what they should be earning. And it is much easier for employers to mess about with wages if no one knows what others are earning.

Boasting or belabouring the subject is never nice, but if someone asks the question it is not your fault.

After all that bluster, I'd probably make an awkward joke if someone asked me straight out. It shouldn't be such a taboo though.

Post edited by gorse on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not going to be dispensing personal information like that just to educate young people.

up to them to evaluate if they are being paid a commensurate wage for their talent, experience, qualifications and anything else…

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gorse

How can they properly evaluate if they are being paid enough if no one talks about wages? Extended family wouldn't be in the need-to-know category in my mind, but I've always appreciated it when any friends or colleagues have been open about their salaries.

Advertisement