Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Radio stations playing the same songs over and over

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I could throw in FM104 and 98FM too as stations in my area. I obviously can't vouch for all stations in the country but of the ones I get, too many have American announcers or Irish twits pretending to be. The number of such stations should be 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

And it was probably that crap "Magician" remix with its bad 90s piano, rather than the original

Post edited by The J Stands for Jay on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

eg ask 100 people what their favourite Dire Straits song is

Where is your favourite body part to be punched in repeatedly?

Post edited by The J Stands for Jay on

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

What do you mean by announcers? The presenters or the voiceovers in promos? 98 fm have a guy who’s very clearly from North Dublin for their voiceovers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muller1991

I'm 99% certain that the VO for 98fm is Emmet Kirwan, I do get what the previous poster was saying RE Classic hits and Nova with an American VO, Although it does seem that they may be phasing that out, Hearing a lot more of an Irish Female voice for intro/outros/Links etc on Classic Hits. As for FM104 I have to admit I kinda forgot that station existed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're in dublin, dublin city FM have a very varied mix of music.

there's 8radio and dublin digital radio too online (8radio occasionally get the nod for a weekend broadcast on FM too)

and there are some great shows on in the evening - john creedon, john kelly, paul mcguinness on nova - usual caveat of the 'ratings by day, reputation by night' is at play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I find FM104 unlistenable because of them playing music at a higher pitch. Some people wouldn't notice it but I really do.

I think the American accents on jingles came from the original Nova and was just copied by stations after that.

What American voices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The jingles like "Hi, I'm Lady Gaga", "we're BTS", "it's your boy Jay-Z"..."And you're listening to <insert radio station here>"

That and Stephen Byrne apparently in direct contact with all celebrities and musicians according to his promo/jingle.

• Advertisement

Fair enough then, it must have changed in the several years I've refused to listen to either it or FM104. Classic Hits and Nova are still at it daily, so I've now started listening to them less. R na G is the only way to go now...

Turn on Classic Hits and listen to the woman who makes the announcements about "Classic Hits" during ad breaks, after news, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Bad music jokes? The Liszt is endless, it's all Bach to Bach puns. I'd fire off more only I'm Bizet and my boss would put on the Chopin block if I don't put a Holst to it.

So just one station to have an American voice identifying the brand? Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Radio Garden - that's all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

You can thank/blame Mr. Todd Storz, owner of a radio station in Omaha, Nebraska for coming up with the concept in the 1950's......

"Todd Storz, operator of a daytime-only station in Omaha, is widely credited with begetting Top 40.

Ben Fong-Torres tells how Storz and his program director, Bill Stewart, noticed how patrons at a bar kept playing the same few songs on the jukebox. Stewart copied the titles on the box and came up with 30 tunes (which he later upped to 40).

When their station knocked off other programming and played the top hits of the day all day long, it went from last to first in Omaha in two years. By the early 1960s, the dominant broadcaster in almost every radio market was a Top 40 station."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1999-01-25-9901250028-story.html

Well thats the thing, you just said many. I think Nova has some form of an American voice. Love the sweeping statement that loads of stations have American announcers and what now but back up the point and tell us who exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Where are you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,451 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I just looked at the playlist on FM104 for the three hours from 10am to 1pm 01 March.

27 songs, none repeated. Two artists featured twice Dermot Kennedy with Meduza and with Earthgang. Also Meduza with Hozier. No Ed Sheeran, one Adele and one Justin Bieber.

Probably if I look at the next three hours there will be repeats. But armed with this knowledge, judicious use of the tuning knob should solve the problem, real or imagined. My sympathies to those who are trapped somewhere that does not allow them to change stations or switch off.

• Advertisement

They play what they are told to play, the people running the radio shows or talking on air don't get to pick and choose what songs they air, there's a set list supplied to them and they just stick to that. It's homogenised crap, the same 10 -15 songs every hour being forced down your earholes by the record companies because every single commercial radio station is bought and paid for, nothing more.

It's been like this for decades, not years, decades. Anyone who isn't into pop music or don't listen to the likes of today FM, 2FM, FM104 etc. has known this since about 1988. Pirate radio was the only escape, but they've pretty much all fallen by the wayside these days. It's just more pronounced these days because you're getting older and the ratio of decent tunes to utter crap is swinging towards the latter, so you notice it more. Trust me, it's been like this since forever.

The 'old songs suddenly being everywhere at the same time' is another symptom of this. They'll push David Gray or Tracey Chapman every now and then to make it look like they're varying it, but will throw the same few tired tracks into the playlist before going back to the usual guff.

I bet you €50 I could walk out to the car at any time between 8am and 8pm, stick the radio on and and find some Irish station playing that Cold Heart duet with Elton John and Dua Lipa within 5 mins. It is literally ubiquitous. I caught it on three stations in a row some time last week.

Nova is an absolute jokeshop of a station. Used to be a bit of an outlier, but became victims of their own success, then sold out in record time. Ireland's only rock station and when I put it on there just now they were playing Bryan Adams. Rock music for toddlers, more like.

How many of those 27 songs feature on the other stations within that time span? What's the point of changing if they're also all playing from the same catalogue?

Also, averaging 9 songs an hour during a period that is outside of the morning talk shows and rush-hour traffic updates is a sad indictment of the state of Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,451 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I will leave it up to you to look at the FM104 list and the Sunshine list to get the answer to your question for one other station. I have no way of knowing the answer for loads of stations. I get about 30 stations on FM.

Between 11 and 12 there were big gaps between songs, which given that radio is either speech or music, must have been speech segments. First song 11.11, second song 11.24. Song 11.32, next song 11.48. I wouldn't see that as a sad indictment of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Lads you’re all over thinking it. Radio is for advertisers, not listeners. So they want to appeal to the broadest demographic possible. So they choose safe pop or classic hits. Just like they have for the last 30+ years. Even the pirates mentioned above only came into existence because not enough pop music was being played on traditional radio

Anyone who wants to listen to music they like has literally unlimited choices online. If you don’t get to control it at work or whatever, you’ll just have to chalk it up to another work place annoyance

oh and for what’s it’s worth I think presenters and voice overs on Irish radio are way more local than at any stage. In the late 80s/early 90s everybody had the sam ‘mid Atlantic’ radio voice. Now, you can tell they’re Irish

I said Nova and Classic Hits. Apparently 98FM doesn't do it anymore, but I stopped listening to it. In any case, even two stations in Ireland is two too many. Why do they see the need to have American rather than Irish? What is it about the Irish that more and more feel we need to use the US dialect? Teenagers today sound as if they're from Beverly Hills 90210, and no doubt exposure in the media is to blame. Whatever about Youtube and Insta, having our own local stations also choosing to go American is feeding this fire.

Takeway -> Take out

Holiday/Annual leave -> Vacation

Back garden -> Back yard

Mam/Mum/Mammy/Ma -> Mom

-ise -> ize

etc., etc.

I've nothing against Americans or their dialect, it's the fact that Irish people seem to somehow think it's trendy or whatever to speak that way says a lot about our inferior complex.

Anyway, this started off as a discussion over playlists so maybe we've gone off topic.

You don't think going 16 minutes between songs on a music radio station is an issue? Fair enough.

Teenagers sounding American is probably has more to do with all tbe feckin reality shows they watch on TV,rather than radio..As for the playlists,its all to do with the men in suits,that call themselves radio doctors/consultants,and have a few Dan O' Day books in their desk drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭KildareP

Classic Hits has an American male voiceover, JJ Wright, but the female voiceover is very much Irish, Dee Woods.

On the other hand, Nova has an Irish male voiceover, Enda Murphy, but an American female voiceover, Annie Davis.

98FM used to have Dave Fox, then replaced by a solo female voice over who is Irish, now joined by an Irish male voiceover.

Others in Dublin using foreign voiceover artists:

Spin (American male, Irish female)

Sunshine (Irish male, British female)

FM104 (British male and female)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Sunshine classic hits seems to have about 200 songs they play on rotation every day

I think it's worse if you work in a shop and you listen to the radio every day you have no choice what you listen to. I think it was worse in the 80s some djs would use a fake mid Atlantic accent not British or Irish. At least with a smartphone you have a choice of 100s of radio stations or just listen to podcasts. I think they use usa style jingles cos it's neutral versus having a jingle in a local regional accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

You're just like my favorite song going 'round and 'round my head

Advertisement