Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio stations playing the same songs over and over

Options
  • 25-02-2022 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Our local radio station keep going all day repeating the same boring Ed Sheehan songs and what ever few are in the charts. Surely in these technological times they are hardly using records and it’s not as if they haven’t a massive array of songs at their fingertips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Think they have to pay based on the size of their playlist. Nova seem to have a small playlist as it's always the same songs on there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Top tip change radio station, you’re jealous of Ed let’s be honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I'm pretty sure that this topic has been raised before on this forum, and more than once. It certainly seems to be exercising people more and more. The increasing homogenous model of radio, particularly with some companies owing a number of radio stations, is not helping anyway. Sadly, it seems that you have to listen to late night commercial radio, community radio or online stations (which are on the increase) to get a decent variety or choice in music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

You seem to have a problem with my comments following me around boards, why not take a leaf out of your own book and change forums? BTW you don’t buy diagnostic equipment when you buy a car, lay off the magic mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Its been the same the last 20 years, only the songs have changed

this is the answer

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,621 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That would be more refreshing than Ed Sheehan and rag and bone man with his only human line repeated 16 times every time his song is repeated here in cork. I’ll have to tune into limerick next week

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

not on the basis of the size of their playlist as far as i know, but rather a percentage of their income.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

We don't have any good radio stations in Ireland, they all play the same music, nothing different about any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,706 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Great mix of 70s 80s and some 90s!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There are no shortage of stations to choose from through the Radio Garden app:

I know that online is not always convenient but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

My office used to pump FM 104 through the speaker system a few years ago.

For six months they played a song called New rules by Dua Lipa a minimum of five times during my working hours.

Five days a week meant I heard that song 25 times a week over six months that ran up to 600 times hearing a song I would never choose to hear.

I love music, there are songs I love that I haven't heard a fraction of the times I've heard New Rules by Dua bloody Lipa, and that's just one example. I've heard the rest of FM 104's limited playlist hundreds of times as well, they throw in a few 90's songs like Under the bridge by the red hot chili peppers, or smells like teen spirit, whatever by Oasis and Gangstas bloody paradise. They'll give you bohemian rhapsody a couple of times a week but it's typically the same pool of 8-10 songs on repeat, so a recommendation for FM104 for a varied playlist isn't particularly accurate.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Two things I hate about most stations in Ireland:

1) Repeating the same song every hour, on the hour,

2) The use of American accents on jingles, etc. Classic Hits, Nova, etc., what the hell is wrong with using a native accent? Why is it that Irish are becoming more and more Americanised when it comes not only to vocabulary (people at my work now take vacation, not annual leave) but also the use of American announcers?

I wouldn't listen to a station for anywhere near that length of time. Most people would be able to switch off or change the station. Did nobody think of asking whoever was in charge of the speakers to play something else? I expect FM 104 would be catering mostly to people who would not be listening for 8 hours at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

If you've a radio on in the background at work you can't be going to change the station every half an hour. It's a cheap cop-out by braindead presenters who in many cases can't even read the time out correctly. It's an easy gig they have.

What would stop someone changing the stations? Unless they are brain dead, it wouldn't be a big operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Standard radio thinking is that tighter playlists = better ratings. That’s why they do it and there’s over 60 years of research behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I once worked midnight to 8am for 6 weeks during a busy period in work. I was in a different location than my usual workplace so basically it was all pre-recorded radio , and I just rolled with whatever station the guys had on, that pre-recorded music was on until about 6 or 7am. I will NEVER forget the words to Lykke Li’s - I Follow Rivers 😞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

In my workplace the speakers are linked to the comms room that only management have access to.

The issue was raised and the station changed eventually, but it was hellish while it lasted.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Does anyone else notice that a station or show will play a song from a few years ago that hasn't been getting airplay the last while and all of a sudden every other station/show gives the fuckin song a spin as well. It's like they all copy each other. I heard nelly furtados say it right a couple weeks ago on the radio for the first time in years and then heard it another 2 or 3 times over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Those of you in the East count yourself lucky. Here in Castlebar in the car you have Radio1 2FM Today fm RNG and Lyric. Local radio is CRC and Midwest. to the south Galway Bay fm, to the north Ocean fm. Read some article on uk radio and the research behind it showed clearly that a tighter playlist got better ratings which i hate. eg ask 100 people what their favourite Dire Straits song is most would answer Walk of life. Whereas i might say Tunnel of love. but i suppose most arnt into album tracks. it also suggested most people only listen to a station 40 minutes per day.just put on absolute 80s there for the crack "Lionel ritchie-all night long" ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

They keep playing bloody Beethoven and Handel on Lyric, it would drive one insane if it wasn't so damned relaxing!

Seriously though, I had to give up on Dermot and Dave, apart from the continuous forced laughter and 'sure isn't it all great craic' mentality I found they play Beyonce and Destiny's Child a lot!! 😒

Back to Beethoven for me....

Beethoven 5th while paying a big bill in the Mercedes garage is majestic.

They use American television programs as an excuse but back in the 70’s 80% of programs on our only channel at the time we’re American programs yet many didn’t change their accents. In Northern Ireland and the U.K. people still talk with their regional accents funny how the American television influence didn’t effect them.

Yeah because BMW’s never break down and are as cheap as chips when they do 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

You've named 2 stations in Ireland that sound "American" to you. That's hardly "most" stations. I can easily name 20 stations that are very regional.

• Advertisement

Advertisement