Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The ANPR Cameras and the NTA having the power to issue fines is the most important part of bus connects. If we had it now enforcing the current bus lanes journey times would be slashed.

I don't see it happening to be honest, there's no political appetite for tds getting called by constituents because they were only parked in the bus stop for 5 minutes to go to tesco for a sick grandmother or something like that. There's simply far too much entitlement in our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

This is the single biggest reason bus connects will never reach its full potential, even if we somehow manage to build 100% of the corridors.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There was nothing happening on it for a while and Ryan's people were getting impatient.

Camera enforcement of bus/cycle lanes, red lights etc. using both fixed and bus-mounted cameras will happen but it won't be done by the NTA. A few civil servants at the Department of Transport had a heart attack when they heard about the NTA getting those powers. The plan is still to get all the agencies together to work out an agreement. The Garda Siochana (Digital Recording) Bill will make it easier to transfer data from bus operators to AGS.

The Blackhall Place red light camera will be reactivated next year along with new cameras at Con Colbert Road and Queen Street. The current delay is from the NTA side. There was no work done by the NTA on their procurement for two years during COVID. Even AGS were asking when it's happening.

So then who will enforce this? The gardaí don't have the time, resources or the interest . And they themselves are among the worst offenders. No doubt they'll give themselves a free pass

• Registered Users Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I wonder will it be something like the NTA harvest the data from the ANPR cameras and send that on to AGS who then send out the fines in the post?

• Advertisement

And filter out their mates reg numbers obviously. But I can't see that happening either to be honest. There's the other problems I mentioned with AGS plus that plan would require 2 arms of government working together, fundamentally impossible in this country.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd say it'll just work as it does now with the speed camera vans. A private company does the detection, then passes all the info on to the Guards for them to prosecute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Read on the Irish Road Passenger Transport Forum that Go-Ahead are believed to have won the tender for the W4 and W6

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

New N4 route with provisional start date May 28th 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I suspect it’s the 29th - rosters start on Sundays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭drivingmissdaisy

How is this possible?

GA are having a terrible time keeping staff, they are running a Saturday service during the week due to staff shortage and are still having to cancel services, so honestly how did they win a new tender when they are failing to meet the terms of the old one?

Rumours fill the air

Nbru to merge with siptu

145 to be cancelled

155 next for 24 hours

DB to be no more within 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

^^^^^^

Where are those rumours coming from about the 145 being scrapped along with the 155 going 24 hours. It's interesting in hearing them as I live near those routes myself.

Also have we got a date for the N6 route to go live? It should be allowed to begin on the same day as the N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The 145 is to go as part of E spine, 155 is essentially the replacement on an enhanced timetable.

That was all in the bus connects plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Well with the E1 now going to Ballywaltrim (instead of Bray station) as shown in the final network plan, it will in reality be a combination of the 145 & 155 (155 north of the city, 145 south of it).

Posting this sort of messroom gossip helps no one.

There is only one plan in town and that’s BusConnects.

That sets out exactly what is planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sure the NTA said the only routes switching to 24-hour mode are the busconnects routes, backed up by what the local politician said recently. so fairly safe to say that neither the 145 or 155 will ever be 24-hours, and it will the E routes that become 24-hours. why work to enhance a route that will be gone in a years time. why not focus on the new upcoming routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I don't think 24 hour routes have anything to do with Busconnects. We've seen that with 24 hour services on non-BC routes and with the absence of 24 hour services on the H spine.

Think what they meant was there won't be any further 24h routes outside of BC

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

That would explain why they're on a mad hiring spree lately. Although I don't see how they (or DB, for that matter) will manage to attract and retain enough drivers for BusConnects without improving their conditions considerably.

• Advertisement

The initial three 24-hour routes (15, 39a, 41) happened prior to BusConnects even starting, so I’d not read too much into that.

The NTA have certainly suggested that all future 24-hour services will be linked to BusConnects rollouts and given that they will form part of that project’s funding, I see no reason to doubt that.

It would be highly unlikely that they would want to launch 24-hour services on routes over which they don’t control all the publicity, scheduling etc (pre-existing routes) given that the BusConnects project is now being rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Because usually in public tendering it's very difficult to exclude an individual tenderer from applying, lest you want a string of court or tribunal cases over public discrimination.

In saying this, the W4/W6 tender was a two-step limited-entry tender where the NTA would limit the number of offers that would actually undergo consideration. That's to say, anybody could apply, and then the Authority would choose up to six or seven entrants that looked the best in theory to be suitable.

However, until I see a proper NTA document stating this, I wouldn't listen to rumours. We know somebody's been chosen, we know it's not DB.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

W4/6 would very much suit Dualway; they would have been in a decent position to tender competitively for those I imagine.

Bartons aswell maybe? Do they have the resources to compete against a multinational being backed by 10s if not 100s of millions who already have a foothold in the Irish market? Don't get me wrong it would be great to see a local independent operator competing for and winning tenders but I'm not so sure they'd have the resources similar to Sullivan buses in London perhaps.

City Direct who have the NTA contract for city routes in Kilkenny is another one who might compete for this. Go-Ahead would still be clear favourites for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

There's about 10 plain white Volvo single decker's in Irish commercials in Santry. Not up to date on model type, looks similar to what JJ Kavaghnah use for the 139 route.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bartons have no real experience of conventional scheduled services, Dualway do - the former Tallaght area and business park routes as well as Airport Hopper. They actually tried a W6-alike route commercially a few years ago - well, similar start and end points but a completely different route, TAL02 as they numbered it.

MCV Evora, Egyptian built on Volvo chassis, is what is used on the 139.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Wexford Bus have a new MCV Evora delivered to their fleet in white livery some months back. It has Wexford Bus logos applied on the bus.

I don't think the Evora's would be used for BusConnects though. They would be used by private operators mostly outside of Dublin who have the money to spend to buy them for their fleet on TFI Localink services.

Don’t be so naïve The 145 being cancelled is very important especially as it’s was not due for another year in the bus connects plan

new bus connect route “C” has not been the success the NTA believed it would be

how could the passenger numbers be increased to make the C look super successful?

how about remove the 145 that takes the bulk of passengers to/from Heuston/city centre?

People will have to use the C and now C will have large loading, NTA can claim it’s a success.

You don’t think DB been wound up is not important and something to be discussed here?

The NBRU is the topic of much conversation around here, it ceasing to exist is not something to be discussed here?

So your objection to this information going lining raises the question , what’s your agenda?

GA can’t get staff to meet the terms of the current contract.

How where they chosen for the new routes when they can’t run the ones they currently have?

Honest answers now if anyone can.

• Advertisement

Dirty little secret that you don’t know

DB are starting to have a staff retaining problem, it’s a steady trickle of drivers leaving , not just new drivers but those with 10+ years in the job.

The pay is officially bad, zero talk of a pay deal and we all know the price of everything is rising, the previous rejected terrible pay and conditions offered has lit a fire under many to seek alternative employment.

The future to be honest does not look good, it will need massive improvement to pay and terms to make job attractive to new hires, sure just look at the advertising campaign for new drivers, the people in the campaign looking older that some of the drivers who are approaching retirement age in the job.

People in 20-40s have little interest in applying for the job and those that do have a high rate of leaving after a few months.

Something has got to change or big trouble ahead

Advertisement