Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Comments

if the proof about it coming out of a lab starts coming down on the definitive side of things of course it should be accepted

it isn't there yet

No matter who the source is, there is a difference between an evolving situation information-wise and misinformation or indeed wilful disinformation for some agenda

Yeah that really negates the other 7 points of reasoning in my post that you somehow failed to address.

Bravo!

Referring to Robert F Kennedy Jr as far-right is actually a euphemism for the actual reality of the grubby opportunistic profiteering fear-mongering bullshitting POS that he is!

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. has posted that 5G damages human DNA and that the Gates Foundation paralysed 496,000 children in India with a polio vaccine.

So you have time for that.

Good to know where you're coming from.

Very informative.

-> Jesus wept

the claim can be traced back to an Instagram post by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., the nephew of former US president John F. Kennedy and a leader of the World Mercury Project on April 7.

World Mercury Project, a group headed by Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and a California-based organization has been vocal against vaccines. Further, they are one of the biggest sources of anti-vaccine advertisements on Facebook.

"Indian doctors blame the Gates campaign for a devastating vaccine-strain polio epidemic that paralyzed 496,000 children between 2000 and 2017," Kennedy wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Advertisement

ah yeah surprised that re-reg poster has lasted this long tbh

but should be shown what sort of rubbish that Robert F Kennedy Jr has been putting out to play up to the sort of low-IQ headbangers that he is willing to pander to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Oh no matey, we've since found out that there is a strong likelihood that this came out of a lab but the Chinese refused to work with the WHO investigation unless it was agreed beforehand that a lab origin was ruled out. The WHO admitted that they had no grounds to dismiss the lab origin when they did. Yet people stil try to punt that organisation as having credibility.

Same with their BS about the vaccinated being able to spread covid being misinformation that would have you yeeted off social media

It's interesting to see people who wallowed and regurgiated this guff, mentally accomodate the fact that they were misled without skipping a beat.

Not a sign that you're dealing with a rational viewpoint, but it is interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Listened to the Randall Carlson episode over the weekend while I was doing a bit of painting. Fascinating listen even if a large portion pushed my boundaries of what seemed credible. Still, really enjoyed it as it’s interesting to hear different tales on historical events.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Oh he was way too nutty for me. Him and Steve Coonin. I'd a lot of travelling to do recently so downloaded a few episodes but only gave them a few minutes listen.

The Dave Smith one got me through a flight.

He's definitely in at the deep end alright. I did like the episodes with him and Hancock, didn't believe any of it really, but interesting none the less.

The Dave Smith was surprisingly good. Not a whole lot of comedy talk which usually makes me turn them off fairly lively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

i got Steve Koonin's book 'unsettled' some time ago and glad to see him on JR. In contrast to some of his guests his data seems solid. The most interesting things he said that he was mostly ignored about the science part by fellow scientists and there was a group of organizations collectively engaged in suppressing anything hinting at doubt about the data. It included the BBC, the US government and certain newspapers. Sounds like a conspiracy. The same could be said about Covid science. Anyway, sad to see Bill Maher rubbishing the book as well, someone usually quite skeptical..

Post edited by deholleboom on

I remember Michael Shermer being lambasted by both Hancock and JR about daring to critique their hypothesis with Carlson staying mainly quiet. Unfair to Shermer i thought who made valid points. Anyway, it was entertaining..

And here is a link to the Skeptic article Shermer wrote after the podcast:

https://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/debating-science-lost-civilizations-shermer-experience-on-joe-rogan-961/

I like Shermer but he spoke from authority a bit too much on that topic for my liking. The same can be said for Hancock. The likes of Carson comes from a good place. He puts the research and leg work in but I don't know nearly enough to say whether he's right or wrong. He puts together a good argument but the burden of proof is on him.

Well yes, the burden of proof is on Carlson. One of the points Shermer was making was that there needs to be continual proof from multiple sources and that doesnt seem to be the case. Stories and conjecture are simply not enough. Shermer does come across as an irrirating little party pooper at times but he actually knows what he is talking about having had conversations w interesting people for years diving deep into various science subjects unlike JR who is everyman's pub conversationalist albeit it an entertaining one.

Here's a link to one of Shermer's recent guests:

otherwise you can just listen to the podcast by going to Episode Archive..

For those interested in science. Usually connected to a recently published book ...

Currently listening to latest podcast, interview with Andrew Dessler. Climate scientist who served under Bill Clinton.

Really enjoying it.

I don't disagree with anything you've dmsaid there. I also listen to Shermer's podcasts the odd time and more often than not really enjoy them. For whatever reason he seemed to get fairly annoyed by this particular topic. To the point where he was more aggressive than he would normally be.

Its why it is important to listen people like Koonin. Others too, like Lawrence Krauss & Freeman Dyson - all physicists who are experts in data science. They know more than most how data can mislead, despite having the legitimate stamp of ' peer reviewed science ' .

And..its only people like JR ( and Lex Fridman ) who are giving a platform for these guys to speak to the public. You wont hear about them in the traditional commercial media.

Well Lawrence Krauss has had multiple women accuse him of various degrees of sexual impropriety over a timeline spanning a decade cutting short his academic career, so not really surprising that he's not going to be a popular podcast guest is it?

As for Freeman Dyson - nobody can give him a platform because he died nearly 2 years ago

🤣 🤣 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This thread has gone fairly off the rails!

Off topic, was the latest episode with Diaz any good?

Nothing "woke" about being exposed as a real creep for sexual harassment and predatory behaviour by multiple people over a long period.

Had long been banned from speaking at not a few universities.

Publicly defended Jeffrey Epstein, even after Epstein was convicted in court of soliciting prostitution from an underage girl and spent 13 months in a Florida jail. Epstein was a donor for Krauss - lol - like he expects to be taken seriously as a sceptic but displays the most obvious bias imaginable!

What a guy.

Same lad apparently had the gall to go on about "women's rights" at times also.

Classic.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Yeah, they made up all those facts about what Krauss said on the public record about Epstein and the multiple statements from universities and witness testimonies!

Some try-hards are so focused on hoping to come across "edgy" and contrarian that it's a parody.

P.S - Buzzfeed have won a Pulitzer prize for legitimate investigative journalism and have been a finalist on a number of other occasions.

Cue some fcukwit bs no doubt about the Pulitzer prize being too mainstream ... or something.

This coming from someone defending Robert Malone and Robert F Kennedy Jr's outright rubbish - you couldn't make it up!

https://www.pulitzer.org/winners/megha-rajagopalan-alison-killing-and-christo-buschek-buzzfeed-news

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jesus that sounds like a boring 2 and a half hours.

It was really enjoyable, well except his nose breathing which was fairly irritating at times. Gave a great breakdown of renewable energy costs verus fossil fuels. I know he was brought in as a balance to Koonin but my word he did a lot of mind reading as to what Koonin was thinking. When he stuck to his facts, which broadly speaking were the same as Koonin he was able to give his interpretation of it. Trying to mind read others isn't a great look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I don't know, 2 and a half hours is a lot of time but it's an interesting topic. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark when it comes to how pharmaceutical and healthcare industries operates in the US. One of the things that makes me thankful to not live there. It's definitely a topic that needs to be aired more in the States.

Alex Gibney's HBO documentary The Crime of the Century is a must watch to show the scummy practices of the pharmaceutical industry and the government's hands off regulation and how they contributed to the opiate crisis. Also the Drug Short episode of the Dirty Money series on Netflix which deals with Valeant and their purchasing of orphan drugs to the prices up wildly as a way maximising profits is truly disgusting.

Yeah I watched Crime of the Century. Anything he does is good in fairness.

Agree, its staggering really. They have it the wrong way around - prescribing drugs as an initial treatment. Should be the last thing.

Tbf, I do think these type of topics are handled better in a thoroughly researched and concise documentary rather than a two and a half hour conversation that can be prone to tangental detours.

"No way? Thats wild!! Jamie can we pull that up..."

Ha, yeah. Even you posting that is enough to put me off. I listened to some of his podcasts several years before ago I started to find them tedious and that about sums them up for me.

• Advertisement

Actually I remember listening to one of them where some lad was going on about how he'd take a mouthful of water and then he'd do an intense 60 or 90 minute work and wouldn't swallow the water until he finished. It was so unbelievably dull that I think I finished with the podcast shortly after that.

The Netflix series was brilliant. I watch the documentary film by the power lifter who was a guest on Rogan a few times. It was crazy how easily they prescribed pills over there. People drinking a gallon of coffee a day getting prescribed drugs for restless leg syndrome.

Is that the Bigger, Faster, Stronger documentary that you're talking about? That was a really interesting watch.

Just had a looksee there and it's by the same guy called Chris Bell and it's called Prescription Thug$. Well worth a watch as he battled with addition to Prescription drugs for long periods himself.

I liked the latest Osterholm episode. Wow, nearly 2 years he was last on.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

I'm listening to #1780 with Maajid Nawaz, really interesting.

Spotify have a big Covid warning on it for some reason, haven't mentioned it yet, but got the MSM can't stand any discussion on this can they ?

• Advertisement

Have to say I thought this one was fairly poor compared to his last episode, which i thought was brilliant. He made some fairly outlandish claims so let's see if the fact checkers are as keen to call these out. The two most striking were that omicron is more dangerous overall than the previous variants and it's also more dangerous to children. I mean, even our own 'abundance of caution' brigade here have said the exact opposite. Maybe we are just in a better place due to vaccinations here but from what I've seen omicron is nowhere near as dangerous as the previous variants.

Overall, I thought he was kind of afraid to give his opinion on anything of note and there were a lot of "i can't say without the data" which is fine but makes fkr a fairly rubbish conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The Nawaz episode was very good. He has had a wild life and had interesting stories on Britain's involvement in the war on terror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It was a good episode, but it showed Joe's limitations quite a lot too.

He wanted so badly to go down the rabbit hole about it being a man made virus and he was still clinging to "anecdotal evidence" as more avenues of argument were closed off.

He also seemed pretty ignorant about basic things - like that you can get infected twice, the difference between something partially evading immunity and totally evading immunity, honestly it was frustrating to hear him repeatedly not get it, the logic behind vaccine mandates for healthcare workers, despite Osterholm explaining it in extremely clear terms, he still didn't seem to get it. And he still went back to the myocarditis stuff as well, despite being embarrassingly shown up a few weeks ago on this issue.

He wasn't combative as such, but he definitely seemed slightly unwilling to accept anything that differed from where he was coming from, despite him not exactly putting his own sources to the test - there was a lot of "well that's not what I read".

Didn't come across particularly on top of the brief tbh.

Won't quote whole post Arghus.

I really thought the Rabbit Holes he went down, and his surprise and reaffirmations of what the Dr. was saying was to underline some specifics he wanted clarified and to be heard by some of his audience that mightn't listen to all that is said.

I get what you're saying. I just heard it a different way.

I thought Joe was playing to some of his audience that might be a bit Slow.

As someone on this thread pointed out previously "20% of people are stupid"* and maybe JR was speaking to them.

*That poster never came up with data to show this nore has that measure ever been used against other Broadcasters on this forum.

Post edited by humberklog on

• Advertisement

Couple of things here though. He didn't mention the man made virus, Osterholm did and Joe corrected him several times to say a possible lab leak.

He was right to question some of the things being said because they don't stack up with data from anywhere else in the world. Osterholm made some big claims around omicron being more danger in general and especially to children. That's not backed up anywhere I'm afraid.

I also think vaccine mandates are particularly egregious considering these vaccines do not stop you catching or spreading covid. They do offer great protection to the individual but if they don't want to take it that's on them. There is very little logic in mandating these particular vaccines.

Myocarditis is well worth talking about. These vaccines are not 100% safe but it's good to hear a mainstream podcast discuss the issue and let people know you are way more likely to get it from covid than from the vaccine.

From listening to some of his more recent podcasts there does seem to be more of an effort to push back on any claims made around a "sensitive" topic like covid. I hope this isn't an editorial change he's going to stick with because these conversations just don't have the same flow as before. I really enjoyed Osterholms last appearance but this one was nowhere near as enjoyable and came across as a 2 hours covid infomercial than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

I gave Osterholm a skip as soon as he realised he was a scaremongering doom merchant.

Omicron more dangerous - just f*ck right off you hack..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Every single one of these guys makes this claim even though it clearly is not true

And if there is even a grain of truth in it then it just shows how many people were dying with COVID, not of COVID in the numbers

In my job I get to see the real harm caused by COVID! All cause mortality is massively up due to lockdowns. First two in particular. Undiagnosed cancers etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Yeah, the Dr basically is dealing with evidence based data.

Joe is talking about anecdotal data,and seems very limited to factual data.

I didn't find it too bad to listen to overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This isn't aimed at you exactly but...............

Has anyone else noticed that the same people who get butt-hurt about these warnings saying you should take this stuff witha pipnch of salt and go looking for Covid information elsewhere in order to make up your own mind, are the exact same people who end a lecture on Covid with "Do your own research bro!"

Omicron resulted in more children being hospitalised in the US compared to previous variants

-> it's more contagious so more people get it driving the number up

-> the Omicron variant replicates far more in the upper respiratory tract (compared to the lungs) which is more likely to cause blockage issues in children than adults because the airways there are smaller

Why Omicron Is Putting More Kids in the Hospital

Is it though? We know the incidental rate with omicron can be 30/40/50% of cases admitted "with" COVID. I have no idea if these are covid related or just winter RSVs where the patient just happens to pop on a PCR test.

I can only suggest that you read the article.

It's well documented that Omicron has high reproduction rates in the upper respiratory tract which is the key factor for its increased contagiousness.

Small children have smaller upper respiratory tracts more prone to blockage because they are .... smaller

Those are the two key points and are pretty straightforward to grasp.

If you want to see a "MSM" conspiracy theory everywhere you look that's what you'll find.

Is the "Scientific American" mainstream enough to be considered "MSM"? who the fluich knows with some people!?

I'm just asking a question so you can park the conspiracy theory and "MSM" nonsense for a start.

My question was very straightforward and isn't answered in that article. I ask that question because it became quite relevant here in Ireland and elsewhere.

Winter was already well under way before Omicron became the dominant strain in terms of new cases in the USA just before Christmas

the reasons for higher overall numbers of hospitalisations of small children with Covid in the case of the Omicron variant are simple and clearly articulated ->

+ more kids get omicron because it's more contagious (look at the pre and post omicron numbers in Ireland or anywhere)

+ omicron affects the upper respiratory tract more than prior variants,

+ small children more prone to blockages in that area because they are smaller.

• Advertisement
Advertisement