Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The Netflix series was brilliant. I watch the documentary film by the power lifter who was a guest on Rogan a few times. It was crazy how easily they prescribed pills over there. People drinking a gallon of coffee a day getting prescribed drugs for restless leg syndrome.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Is that the Bigger, Faster, Stronger documentary that you're talking about? That was a really interesting watch.

Just had a looksee there and it's by the same guy called Chris Bell and it's called Prescription Thug$. Well worth a watch as he battled with addition to Prescription drugs for long periods himself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I liked the latest Osterholm episode. Wow, nearly 2 years he was last on.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

I'm listening to #1780 with Maajid Nawaz, really interesting.

Spotify have a big Covid warning on it for some reason, haven't mentioned it yet, but got the MSM can't stand any discussion on this can they ?

• Advertisement

Have to say I thought this one was fairly poor compared to his last episode, which i thought was brilliant. He made some fairly outlandish claims so let's see if the fact checkers are as keen to call these out. The two most striking were that omicron is more dangerous overall than the previous variants and it's also more dangerous to children. I mean, even our own 'abundance of caution' brigade here have said the exact opposite. Maybe we are just in a better place due to vaccinations here but from what I've seen omicron is nowhere near as dangerous as the previous variants.

Overall, I thought he was kind of afraid to give his opinion on anything of note and there were a lot of "i can't say without the data" which is fine but makes fkr a fairly rubbish conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The Nawaz episode was very good. He has had a wild life and had interesting stories on Britain's involvement in the war on terror

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It was a good episode, but it showed Joe's limitations quite a lot too.

He wanted so badly to go down the rabbit hole about it being a man made virus and he was still clinging to "anecdotal evidence" as more avenues of argument were closed off.

He also seemed pretty ignorant about basic things - like that you can get infected twice, the difference between something partially evading immunity and totally evading immunity, honestly it was frustrating to hear him repeatedly not get it, the logic behind vaccine mandates for healthcare workers, despite Osterholm explaining it in extremely clear terms, he still didn't seem to get it. And he still went back to the myocarditis stuff as well, despite being embarrassingly shown up a few weeks ago on this issue.

He wasn't combative as such, but he definitely seemed slightly unwilling to accept anything that differed from where he was coming from, despite him not exactly putting his own sources to the test - there was a lot of "well that's not what I read".

Didn't come across particularly on top of the brief tbh.

Won't quote whole post Arghus.

I really thought the Rabbit Holes he went down, and his surprise and reaffirmations of what the Dr. was saying was to underline some specifics he wanted clarified and to be heard by some of his audience that mightn't listen to all that is said.

I get what you're saying. I just heard it a different way.

I thought Joe was playing to some of his audience that might be a bit Slow.

As someone on this thread pointed out previously "20% of people are stupid"* and maybe JR was speaking to them.

*That poster never came up with data to show this nore has that measure ever been used against other Broadcasters on this forum.

Post edited by humberklog on

• Advertisement

Couple of things here though. He didn't mention the man made virus, Osterholm did and Joe corrected him several times to say a possible lab leak.

He was right to question some of the things being said because they don't stack up with data from anywhere else in the world. Osterholm made some big claims around omicron being more danger in general and especially to children. That's not backed up anywhere I'm afraid.

I also think vaccine mandates are particularly egregious considering these vaccines do not stop you catching or spreading covid. They do offer great protection to the individual but if they don't want to take it that's on them. There is very little logic in mandating these particular vaccines.

Myocarditis is well worth talking about. These vaccines are not 100% safe but it's good to hear a mainstream podcast discuss the issue and let people know you are way more likely to get it from covid than from the vaccine.

From listening to some of his more recent podcasts there does seem to be more of an effort to push back on any claims made around a "sensitive" topic like covid. I hope this isn't an editorial change he's going to stick with because these conversations just don't have the same flow as before. I really enjoyed Osterholms last appearance but this one was nowhere near as enjoyable and came across as a 2 hours covid infomercial than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

I gave Osterholm a skip as soon as he realised he was a scaremongering doom merchant.

Omicron more dangerous - just f*ck right off you hack..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Every single one of these guys makes this claim even though it clearly is not true

And if there is even a grain of truth in it then it just shows how many people were dying with COVID, not of COVID in the numbers

In my job I get to see the real harm caused by COVID! All cause mortality is massively up due to lockdowns. First two in particular. Undiagnosed cancers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 45,179 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Yeah, the Dr basically is dealing with evidence based data.

Joe is talking about anecdotal data,and seems very limited to factual data.

I didn't find it too bad to listen to overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This isn't aimed at you exactly but...............

Has anyone else noticed that the same people who get butt-hurt about these warnings saying you should take this stuff witha pipnch of salt and go looking for Covid information elsewhere in order to make up your own mind, are the exact same people who end a lecture on Covid with "Do your own research bro!"

Omicron resulted in more children being hospitalised in the US compared to previous variants

-> it's more contagious so more people get it driving the number up

-> the Omicron variant replicates far more in the upper respiratory tract (compared to the lungs) which is more likely to cause blockage issues in children than adults because the airways there are smaller

Why Omicron Is Putting More Kids in the Hospital

Is it though? We know the incidental rate with omicron can be 30/40/50% of cases admitted "with" COVID. I have no idea if these are covid related or just winter RSVs where the patient just happens to pop on a PCR test.

I can only suggest that you read the article.

It's well documented that Omicron has high reproduction rates in the upper respiratory tract which is the key factor for its increased contagiousness.

Small children have smaller upper respiratory tracts more prone to blockage because they are .... smaller

Those are the two key points and are pretty straightforward to grasp.

If you want to see a "MSM" conspiracy theory everywhere you look that's what you'll find.

Is the "Scientific American" mainstream enough to be considered "MSM"? who the fluich knows with some people!?

I'm just asking a question so you can park the conspiracy theory and "MSM" nonsense for a start.

My question was very straightforward and isn't answered in that article. I ask that question because it became quite relevant here in Ireland and elsewhere.

Winter was already well under way before Omicron became the dominant strain in terms of new cases in the USA just before Christmas

the reasons for higher overall numbers of hospitalisations of small children with Covid in the case of the Omicron variant are simple and clearly articulated ->

+ more kids get omicron because it's more contagious (look at the pre and post omicron numbers in Ireland or anywhere)

+ omicron affects the upper respiratory tract more than prior variants,

+ small children more prone to blockages in that area because they are smaller.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

@glaaso

You're one of the most prolific posters on this thread but most (all?) of your posts don't talk about the JRE but rather pull people up on what they heard and talk about what they heard on the JRE.

Do you listen to the podcast?

In a slightly unrelated note, Lex will have Zuckerberg on his podcast tomorrow. Two automatons slugging it out.

• Well it was nice to have an episode that mentioned the virus almost not at all. Very few words on the subject. Rather it is Rogan doing what he claims his podcast is actually about - him talking to interesting and fun people on subjects both he and they are passionate about.

This guest Daniel Holzman is a black belt in Jujitsu and loves training martial arts (as I very much do) - is passionate about cooking (as I very much am) - and is particularly into cooking and eating various kinds of meat in various kinds of ways (which I very much am). So all in all it was the perfect feel good easy listen for me.

A few more Podcasts like that I hope! Rogan himself says he is sick to the point of exhaustion at talking about the Pandemic. So here's hoping he stops for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,179 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Pretty obvious you didn't listen.

Unless you're a disease expert it's pretty funny calling him a hack 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Post edited by mary 2021 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So he is main stream then. Silly comparison anyway. CNN are 24/7/365. Joe does 2 hours a few times a week.

Also Trump didnt wake the world up to fake news. Social media addicts maybe whho like catchy phrases. Drain the swamp etc.

Fake news and post truth has been a big issue since post 9/11. And before.

Who is Glaaso?

No I don't actively listen anymore.

There are too many podcasts to listen to and I choose to listen to other ones instead.

Not just me but 90% of the posts for the last year have been about the podcast in general and a broader context - don't tell me that you really haven't copped that on and that it's not far more people than my posts about it?

For example, whether Rogan should be more responsible in relation to doing some basic due diligence about issues that affect public health.

In fact recently Rogan has said that he needs to do better in this regard ->

ROGAN: Maybe try harder to get people with differing opinions on right afterwards - I do think that that's important - and do my best to make sure that I've researched these topics, the controversial ones in particular, and have all the pertinent facts at hand before I discuss them.

He obviously didn't do any research (or else didn't give a fcuk because he hoped that it would boost his audience) before he had certain people who are spreading completlely unsubstantiated Covid conspiracy theories on.

• Advertisement

Just finished the Coleman Hughes interview. He is an interesting individual. It was far more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

Advertisement