Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is your ideal political party? Is there anyone who matches this?

• 21-02-2022 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Fully pro-Europe and keen to integrate fully.

Restriction of welfare only to people who’ve paid sufficient “stamps” or people who are genuinely disabled and cannot work (not will not). Children’s allowance to be a tax credit instead. Abolish lone parent’s allowance.

Strict and mandatory sentencing. No getting off on mental health (ie, the nurse who killed her children). Crimes that have a direct impact on the welfare or safety of others will be punished most gravely.

Current laws which have no impact on others will be repealed. Abolition of arcane and anachronistic alcohol licensing laws and legalisation of cannabis and other soft drugs, legally available and at a reasonable price. Introduction and encouragement of more continental cafe style bars.

Encouragement of innovation and business and inward investment.*

Clamp down on unions and ignore unreasonable demands.

Encouragement of cycling infrastructure and sustainable transport. Increase frequency off public transport.*

Toll the bejesus out of the city centre roads (I’d suggest €10 per private car) and use the money generated to give to the private company running the M50 instead of tolling the M50 itself, thus encouraging people to bypass the city and go around it. Any surplus revenue can be used to fund public transport and cycling infrastructure*

*These could be substantially paid for by point #2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I'd rather my government be Pro-Ireland rather than pro-anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A whole government of Eamon Ryans, my fantasy.

Seriously though this is a confusing post OP. You start off with the usual anti welfare/single mother stuff and then do a total U turn with the congestion charges and pro cycling stuff. Never seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

No getting off on mental health (ie, the nurse who killed her children).

I don't really think she "got off". They found her not guilty by reason of insanity. She's not free to go though. She was committed to the central mental hospital, which is a de-facto prison. She has an open-ended sentence in a place where she's surrounded by the criminally insane. That's exactly where she needs to be. Correct decision in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Green Finers

Would a man be found not guilty by insanity in the same circumstances?

If A Hawe hadn’t killed himself, would he get the same sympathy? You betcha be wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What is Micheal Martin's opinion on dogging?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

There's no party in this country at the moment who are serious about either law and order or welfare reform, with the possible exception of the National Party who are led by a man sympathetic to neo - Nazi's and similar loons.

I've been a consistent supporter of Fine Gael over the years and was hoping, when Varadkar became leader, that we might see some serious effort to prioritise workers over the welfare lifestyle brigade, but before Covid it was business as usual with welfare increases across the board.

Fine Gael have traditionally been a centre right party. If they were infiltrated by a cadre of people committed to law and order and welfare reform, similar to the way the Left in both the UK and Ireland were infiltrated by Militant years ago, you'd wonder if the broader membership might be persuaded to adopt tougher positions on these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭buried

A political party that will look out for my nation's needs, its cultural heritage and the current/long term well-being for its own citizens. The people that ultimately fund the whole nation.

No, there is absolutely no political party that matches anything I just described.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Alan Shatter was keen to target the legal profession which would have a gone a long way. It didn't go well for him. A fella who was hard to like but he was trying to do something of benefit to us all.

There have been men found insane in the same circumstances, the law changed recently though so once guilty but insane is now not guilty by reason of insanity.

I wouldn't want a government that don't treat victims of metal illness right.

• Advertisement

An anti immigration party? There probably is, there thankfully not very popular though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The were infiltrated by a "law and order" party already. They were called Blueshirts 😁

Where did I say that? Show me exactly where I said that, and be careful what you want to twist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Renua minus the abortion policy would not be far off the mark. Then again I am not sure they would have that many headline policies left..

You didn't need to say it exactly. Everyone can read what you meant.......

lol So you can tell me what I meant exactly is it? G'way ta f**k, I'm not anti immigration actually, but seeing as how you are on some pathetic judgmental high horse that knows different without any evidence, ride the f**k on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That woman who killed her kids seems to rile up the war on woke loonies on this site and elsewhere, for them it's once again proof that they are the ever persecuted males and the world is so unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

If such a party existed, it would exist for you and you alone.

I'm not sure you understand the whole party thing. By all means correct me if I am wrong.

I think you should take those points you laid out and search through each party's manifestos to see which align with yours.

Then you can chose to vote for the party that you most identify with or not. Great thing about this is, you don't have to. You make the choice.

Now, there is one thing that we should not forget about with respect to your first point and that is the free-rider phenomenon.

Roughly speaking, in many cases some of the population will be free-riders: either they don't pay for it or they abuse it.

For example. Street lighting. Everyone uses street lighting but do we all pay for it? Now, what if the person taking advantage of the street lighting is a tourist and has never contributed to the cost of the street lighting in this country? Are we to forbid this person walking the streets at night?

It would be preposterous to suggest that tourists pay, so essentially they are riding free on our street lighting network.

99 percent of the population will respect and use the street lights as intended but there will be some who want to smash them for drawing light on their activity or who may use a street light outside their bedroom window to dress by and not use their own elctricity. There will always be Free-riders.

And the Free-Rider scenario is applicable right across the board for every facet of society, be it, welfare, roads, parks, lighting, health etc etc etc etc.

Your second point was handled well by Brussels Sprout and the rest of your points are populism at their core. I would like to hear how this "political party" will go about solving the problems not just embark on a marketing campaign telling us - the voters - what we already know. like, we know we need to increase public transport. But tell me this. How are we going to increase public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

"Cultural Heritage" is a pretty vague term that can be made to mean so many things. Who is the arbiter of culture? If we can't define what we want more precisely nobody is going to represent us.

The people that fund the whole nation aren't the whole nation, caring for the well-being of all citizens would necessitate doing things that don't track well with those making the money who resent every penny taken in tax that doesn't benefit them directly. Some of that would be money going to cultural projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

@Brian Lighthouse

I don't think there is that much choice around much of the main Irish parties at the moment.

All seem to have similar policies. I am for the first time contemplating not voting

The Irish people are the ultimate arbiter of our own culture. We have our own culture. We are the custodians of it, we are the ones that have to look after it. In my own cultural work I have unfortunately seen that custodianship completely wither away, and I don't like it. I don't like the way it has gone, let alone where it is going. I see it as detrimental to our own self survival in some respects. This is our country, and we are an island, we should utilise our centuries old island culture to our own indigenous benefit, rather than throw it out for a few bags of digital beans or dollars or whatever else. At least keep some small semblance of it, if nothing else. There is nothing wrong with wanting that, despite what some might have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Green Finers

So why was he vilified by society? (Hawe) and the very same people felt sorry for Morley?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Oh dear, I know I said there was an option not to vote - I probably should have written that line better. I feel the need to clarify that I recommend that everyone with a vote votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Hard line on repeat offenders.

Create barriers to life-long welfare dependency as a choice.

Build our cities upwards as opposed to endless sprawls.

Encourage owners of dilapidated/disused properties (both urban and rural) to sell/use them.

Sort the hospital crisis as a matter of urgency.

Stop wasting money on shíte like World Cup bids and white water rafting centres until we've some of the more pressing issues sorted.

All off the top of my head with zero logical reasoning whatsoever.

My fantasy political party would run enough candidates for an overall majority, would never enter coalition and if elected would give themselves on dail term only then never seek re-election. The one eye on re-election destroys politicians and the ability to male tough decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As a conservative, templates that exist would be the historical Gaullists in France as well as the current day Republicians in the US so a mix of both. For the former there was always a mission to promote the national interest and did not have that inherent leftist distain for the past traditions (religion, social mores etc) while for the latter, outside the media bubble that is the MSM, the US conservatives in that party of the Burkean variant are for a more limited government (which in the wake of the say recent events in Canada are to be commended).

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

“Trump Republicanism” minus the Trump derangement (stop the steal etc) , & vulgarity (mainly the rhetoric divisiveness) and minus the Christian hardcore nonsense (abortion, war on drugs, anti prostitution etc) would be pretty perfect for me.

• Advertisement

They dont exist but a party that would control immigration properly. Tightly regulated and for the benefit of Ireland. A party that rewards workers. A party that reforms our justice system to punish criminals. Pro women's right to choose, equality for all citizens etc.

I can only dream...

Advertisement