Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. imperialism chitchat corner.

Options
  • 19-02-2022 10:28pm

Let's talk about U.S. imperialism.

I think it is bad but there are debatedly worse actors on the world stage than the U.S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

A good documentary on this by vice news titled "the shadow war between Iran and the USA for control of the middle East"

The chief nuclear scientist in Iran was assassinated in 2020 with a remote-controlled machine gun mounted on a Nissan, IRGC Deputy Commander-In-Chief Ali Fadavi said that the weapon was equipped with a camera and utilized artificial intelligence and facial recognition to target Fakhrizadeh.

Of course though the USA had no part in any of this either by doing it themselves or getting Israel to do it, that's the stuff of conspiracy theories, according to the United States the operation was carried out by a few jihadi cavemen on the outskirts of Iran.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfDDrPOtlo&vl=en

Post edited by Harryd225 on

There also many proxy wars between Iran and the USA going on in the middle East, Yemen being the most notable. Although it's led by Saudi Arabia they are US backed and supported. Armed with US-made bombs and British-made fighter jets, Saudi Arabia and its allies have been waging a ruinous war on Yemen for the last seven years. The US have tried to distance themselves from the war in the last couple of years due to how catastrophic the war is.

According to rights groups, the coalition has not accidentally attacked civilian infrastructure – it has been doing it deliberately.

10,160,000 Yemenis were deprived of water, food, and electricity as a result of the conflict, while Oxfam said that more than 10 million Yemenis did not have enough food to eat, in addition to 850,000 half-starved children. Over 13 million civilians were without access to clean water, hundreds of thousands killed mostly due to starvation and other conflict related deaths.

The USA don't seem too interested in humanitarian situations unless it benefits them, they charge in to places like Libya, one of the most well off countries in all of Africa on the basis of humanitarian reasons and leave the place one of the most war torn horrible countries in the world.

Devil's advocate: If you can fight your own corner it is better to enjoy U.S. hegemony than the other superpowers/regional big swinging dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Come on, forget that nasty business of starving children in Yemen.

The BBC says that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman is a great guy because he now allows women to drive!

Better for who exactly? Not for the Yemenis, definitely not for the Libyans. Humanitarian reasons seem to be the main propaganda tool for the USA and UK to start wars and force regime change.

Libya for example was one of the countries in Africa in the least need of Humanitarian support, it was one of the most well off countries in Africa with one of the highest standards of living. This didn't stop the USA from embarking on their great humanitarian mission, bombing the place to shreds and backing a minority of Islamist extremists leaving Libya one of the worst countries in the whole world, once Gaddafi was gone they seemed to care very little about providing humanitarian support to Libya anymore.

As secretary of state Hillary Clinton said "We came, We saw, He died!!!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Amazing. Currently the Russian federation is terrorising a European country but, yeah let's talk about the US 🙄

If you were reading that thread you would understand why i created this one: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118660833/#Comment_118660833

In your OP you say there are "debatedly" worse actors...you mean these lads?

I'm failing to see what the "debate" is.

You think those two are in to individual liberty and democracy is it? That they run countries and not regimes? That they are not autocratic regimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

How is that?

Surely Ukraine can defend itself with all that weaponry that has kindly been donated by their ...... friends.

• Advertisement

So conflicted about China. Horrible government that is definitely lifting hundreds of millions out of poverty. Russia...horrible government stealing everything that is not nailed down and will walk over anyone to get what they want.

I have to say that Biden is being very magnanimous considering Ukraine leader said he would look in to Trump's allegations about Biden's son but I think he understands that Ukraine desperately needed those billions of arms. Putin must have been expecting the buffoon to get a second term and only steps up pressure now as needs must.

Yeah, a few thousand dead in the last eight years in Ukraine so let's forget about all the horrors being inflicted on the people of the Middle East by US airstrikes and interference and US backed regimes and countries all the time🙄

Ukraine has already been dismembered twice by Russia in the last 8 years. They need help to stand up to Russian aggression. Now they face imminent invasion.

Give them all the weaponry they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Half the shift is in here 🤣🤣🤣

Engage with them and they might call for re-enforcements and as you know they can not fight a battle on multiple fronts.

You enjoy a western lifestyle along with the rest of us. Don't be a hypocrite and pretend you don't know where that comes from or how it is possible.

Someone has to do the work to keep that lifestyle for the west. It's not us of course. It's the US as usual.

I drive an EV not for environmental reasons but more so because I was sick of my culpability in the powerplays of the major powers squabbling over oil and gas.

The percentage of hydrocarbons in my electricity is low but not zero.

I also hope that once the transition is done to EVs then there will be less to fight over with sodium or iron being main component in batteries and no precious metals used in motors.

We will see. Maybe then the battle will move to Facebook vs VK vs Tiktok fighting wars by proxy through their captured imperialist Government of choice.

Rubbish. That's just pumping the propaganda that's been coming out of western governments for decades. If we want to be brutally honest about where our lifestyles come from, let's all praise colonialism, and European imperialism. That laid the foundations for European success, and helped Europe come back to success after WW2.

The US did what it could to dismantle European Imperial powers after WW2, and weren't terribly interested in funding European rebuilding efforts except where it directly related to their anti-communist/Soviet agenda. US interests always have come first, whether that's related to trade or diplomacy. In modern times, we should be grateful to the EU, and the trade/economic agreements that have allowed us to resist domination by US groups.

Russia sees E.U. as a superpower(without an army yet) so shouldn't we?

• Advertisement

France, Germany and the UK don't sneeze unless the US says so. That's because the US looks after it's interests. Luckily for us those interests align with ours and that by proxy allows for the lifestyle you enjoy.

That is simply a fact.

Oh good god almighty 🙄 The USA invading Iraq and destroying Libya, interfering in countless countries and backing Saudi Arabia in Yemen to create the worst humanitarian situation in the whole world was all for our benefit was it? And the funniest part of it all, you say we are supposed to be thankful for all of this!!!!

Some people really are deluded.

The Yanks are objectively the worst actors on the stage.

At least with Russia and China you know where you stand - dictatorial menaces that aren't fond of personal freedom and that strongarm their neighbours.

The Yanks, on the other hand, masquerade as a benevolent world leader. There's only one country that has dropped two atomic bombs. The same country used Agent Orange in Vietnam. They also lied themselves into killing a million Iraqis and displacing millions more. And that's before we get into them overthrowing numerous democratically elected leaders;

• Mosaddegh in Iran which turned Iran from a relatively free country into a theocracy.
    • Allende in Chile and installed that charming fellow Pinochet in his place.
    • Arbenz in Guatemala when he tried to put a leash on United Fruit Co.
    • Goulart in Brazil, after which the people of Brazil enjoyed two decades of military dictatorship.

I haven't even gotten to Afghanistan and them supporting 3/4 of the world's dictators.

No, it's simply an opinion.

German, French, and British interests have run counter to US interests plenty of times in the past. Remember Freedom Fries? All parties involved have supported US interests at different times in history, but they've also blocked US efforts too. That's international diplomacy.

If European nations were under the thumb as much as you think, the EU would never have formed... as it weakens the influence that the US has over less powerful nations, and provides competition on the world stage.

Oh.. and all of that, that I provided? That's opinion too. Not fact.

The EU is a complete irrelevance.

Germany and to a lesser extent France decide what way the rest of the EU countries go and they invariably end up doing as the US wants.

The EU just lost it's largest military and second largest financial member (the UK).

It can't last as currently constituted long term in my opinion.

The last time French and British policy ran counter to the US in any remotely serious way was Suez.

Remind me how that worked out for them and how it worked out for the United States.

The UK and are just as responsible for what has been going on as the USA are, although the UK are far weaker they are more like an extension of the USA when it comes to these matters.

Haha... Depends on which source you use... but France is Europe's strongest military... easily comparable with the UK.

And, I'd say the EU will last just fine. It just needs to get past its need to virtue signal, pay more attention to European matters, and stop trying to invite everyone to join. Thankfully, things are changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I think US (+UK,France, Ger), China and Russia are all in bed together and are playing out theatre. All in order to control the masses.

• Advertisement

Please explain to the rest of us here what exactly they are doing that we should be grateful for? How has the Iraq invasion or the destruction of Libya or how has the worst humanitarian situation in the world in Yemen benefitted me or you?

Please explain I'm genuinely interested to know.

Advertisement