Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 4x09 - 'Rubicon' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 17-02-2022 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Discovery 4x09 - 'Rubicon'~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

On the positive side the visual effects looked great, though the spore jump fight seemed a bit stupid.

Again, a good half of the episode wasted on personal conflicts arriving from no where, Reece/Bryce (I think those are the names?). It's out of the blue and adds very little. The less said about the Captain wandering off the bridge, while in the middle of a battle to have a one to one with Nhan the better. While I liked the return of Nhan, my immediate reaction was why are they sending a commander to supervise a captain, and no way Michael will take that well. Not disagreeing with the idea that she needs supervision though. Far from it.

For the rest. How is Michael still captain? Almost every decision she made was the wrong one, she failed in her mission, and through the sheer arrogance that everyone want's to be a happy family allowed the weapon to be used. Yes, it doesn't seem like the weapon made much of a difference, but when Nhan said they should shoot it was correct. And what was the need for that stupid shot flying the shuttle window to window. Nonsense.

While I like the Saru/President stuff being pushed forward, it was again couched in trauma, which doesn't seem to fit Saru as a character. Also the last scene with Culber when he suddenly became a teenager? I get the nerves aspect, and perhaps being a bit reticent, but the guy is a captain and a political leader. None of that works with what I think we know of Saru.

The writing on this show is just bad, I've accepted that. However, it isn't helped by all these secondary dramas arriving out of nowhere, and disappearing as quickly again. So far, in 9 episodes, we've had Tilly's trauma, Culbers trauma, Grey and Adira's trauma (thankfully missing), Books trauma, the bloody ships trauma, and the only one that has had any relevance to the plot, or lasted more than a few sobs and sentences, is Books. Don't get me wrong, exploring these issues can be interesting, if there is a point to them within the plot and they drive the story forward. But they add absolutely nothing to the story even though they take up most of the time.

Edit: I'm also growing increasingly sick of these constant references to what sound like more interesting stories. "Ah, she's doing the breen pirate maneouver from that time we...". I know this is something that occurs in most Trek, but in Discovery it's just constant. And "Let's fly" that phrase right into the bin. It's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

Had to refresh my memory of what Nhan had been up-to?

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So Nhan was there to make sure Burnham didn't let emotions get in the way. But she did and Nhan did nothing and seemingly no repercussions for either of them.

"So you'll stand down? Okay, I'll take your word for it so you just keep the weapon"

Speaking of Nhan, is it strange that she was relevant for about 3 episodes and now is a big return?

At this rate maybe we'll get Rhys' story by the end of season 10. He had a line in an earlier episode about his planet being evacuated and now a line here about Bryce not knowing what it's like.

I don't mind what Culber said to Saru. Could've been more tactful, but I guess no time for an upbeat conversation in this series so just have a bit of humour instead.

I agree about the "This is just like the time on..." Book/Michael bits. We know they worked together for a while but did they really encounter every situation before?

Wonder if anyone has done a fan edit of TNG showing the crew looking at each other every time Picard talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ominous vibes here. You can say it's about first contact all you like but Rubicon.. well.. that just says War.

Wierd though, these Ten-Cs don't seem to care.. NBD.. just kept mining.

I did like how the Admiral put in some work to handle the conflict of interest. The whole Book/Burnham showdown felt alot like playing.

Shout out to Doctor Culber .. on point in the shuttle putting Tillys people skills to shame.. and also later in handling Saru, the idiot 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭eadrom

That was pretty boring tbh. Not as bad as last weeks episode, but still. And for all our complaints about bridge crew not getting enough screen time, just giving them totally throw-away pieces of dialogue isn't working either. Like suddenly these two guys we've not heard from in 3 years are having a little argument about the mission while at their stations? And then we're onto the next thing.

I was enjoying the episodes before the break though so maybe we can get back to some of that. I think I'm just not at all interested (as usual) in this universe-ending story-arc they've got with the DMA, or Book and Michael's emotionless dead-eyed relationship, and that's what these last two episodes have been focused on. The episode looked good though, at least. Definitely nice to have the colour back in those uniforms.

How long have we got this season? Ten-C could still be interesting I suppose. Just like, 2 episodes of interesting - not 10.

• Advertisement

Four more episodes, and there will be a three week overlap with Picard.

I'm still quite looking forward to Picard. I think it had a stronger season 1 (albeit with issues), the characters are better rounded (mostly), and there's still time to correct the issues with season 1. Hopefully anyway.

By the way, anyone know how to selectively quote? Still not sure how on the new site...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It felt like a lot of wasted time, with a predictable turn by Tarka. Saru getting his date was the biggest plot advancement of the episode. The concept of the 10Cs could be a good one, but there's just too much faffing around, and no substantial story being provided.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Owosekun could be a fascinating character. Growing up in a luddite anti-technology cult, but breaking free and still making it into Starfleet is a better origin story than Burnham turning on her friend on mentor simply because she was an arrogant know-it-all. Maybe the others could have them too, but we've seen almost nothing of them, bar one comment about a storm hitting a colony from Rhys.

Completely agree, and it's why Saru is one of the most interesting characters. But that's always been the way, ie Data, Worf, Odo. Characters coming from left of field of the mainstream starfleet process and their difficulties and struggles intregrating their own background with whats expected of officers (I know Odo isn't starfleet, but his conflict with starfleet regulations was a recurring point).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭liamtech

Poor in my opinion

This Episode: Very poor. Way too much personal stuff. A life long trekkie friend of mine has given up at this stage, and i dont blame him (FYI he simply contacts me every week to ask if the DMA GUYS have been identified yet). I really am just waiting for this thing to end at this stage, but was hoping for the plot to advance (even a little this week). it didnt (IMHO). We have no information on what is going on. and what we have is uninteresting to me

This Season: Atrocious, imho its the worst season of the Star Trek Franchise as a whole. At an episode level, the writing is appalling. At a season-wide level, it is even worse. I am just not engaged with this story at all. The only thing i care about is who the 'mysterious aliens' are. Literally that is it. That is the only piece of information that i want, and i have waited 9 episodes. And I have been provided with everything ASIDE from this. They are deliberately dragging it out, and its appalling. All we got this season is:

-Michael is a legend

-Some people are frightened that Michael may be dangerous due to her brilliance, but of course she will prove them wrong

-Tarka is a Machiavellian Genius who has Ulterior motives

-Book is depressed

-There is a massively advanced possibly benevolent // possibly hostile race of aliens, who have decided to Mine the Milky Way for Boronite (probably to synthesize Omega Particles, but we dont know)

-Emotional Trials and Tribulations of the Discovery Crew (and Tilly) (and a NonBinary Human who has a bio-android Trill as a partner) (and the computer, which is alive, and occasionally sings)

-OH LOOK A CHANGELING

Its kinda baffling - 4 more episodes and its over - The best part of this season is undoubtedly that it will end soon

If you are enjoying the season - good for you.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

My current theory FYI - is that the DMA guys are Kelvans - either that or its a new species entirely

I'm suspecting a long dead civilization, with their systems acting autonomously, which would diminish everything that's happened so far. I doubt they'd rock the boat in canon terms too much.

I mean i honestly dont know. My reason for betting its them is based on the fact that they were unmentioned during Admiral Vances speculation. And that we know that radiation levels in andromeda are probably critical at this point in time (within the Trek universe i mean)

That said, its the only component of the season i am interested in. And i kinda hope we find out next week. The teaser shows the fed President getting ready to go on a First Contact mission. So i REALLY AM HOPING that the speculation can end

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

@ilovesmybrick

By the way, anyone know how to selectively quote? Still not sure how on the new site...

You will find more options by clicking on the cursor idon on the left hand side.

Copy and paste the text you want to quote, highlight the text and use the icon above.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Infuriating writing in the last two episodes. They had a chance to take out Book and Tarka instead of tracking them. They didn’t.

This week, even worse.

How Burnham isn’t stripped of command for that sh!t show, I’ll never know. Dismissing Tarka as a threat is nothing but poor writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe I missed the reasoning, but how were both ships able to get to the centre of the DMA when it has the ability to destroy planets?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If I wasn't a Trekkie I would have given up by now

Since when did Discovery have cloaking technology? It's like every episode they throw something new in that had zero lead up - like Zora suddenly being sentient

How does Books tiny little ship manage to almost completely disable a star ship?

Barely even remember who Nhan was! I mean she played a massive part in previous seasons not

Saru is the only interesting character and seems to be the only well written one - would have been the perfect captain, after all he is the only one that makes the most sensible decisions for what should be a captain instead of Michael having a heart to heart across space

The season will end with Michael saying can't we all be friends to 10C and they all have a big group hug and promise never to hurt each other ever again, pinky promise

This show is so infuriating

Please tell me the same writers have nothing to do with World's Beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It was so insanely infuriating that Burham was speaking only to Book, and entirely ignoring the existence of this guy who is far more hellbent on using the weapon, and clearly a massive threat with no interest in your negotiations. Like the super obvious thing if you're going to trust Book to stand down for a week, is to say, "But Tarka has to come with us - that's the deal". Like, even if Tarka didn't have immediate and easy access to simply launch the yoke right away (seemed a bit of an oversight...), the situation they created was basically putting Book into direct conflict with the fella he was on a little ship with, which could only have ended in tears one way or another.

(I'm a bit behind on episodes, cause it always takes me a while to build the strength to face the next one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well Burnham was captaining Discovery.... And.... um.... Oh yeah, she knew all about Book's ship so.... "2B2S" (Because Burnham Says So)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Advertisement