Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to try an EV. Opinions sought.

• 11-02-2022 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

So having been a die hard petrol head for the last 20 years I have turned to the dark side and I am looking to get into an EV. I currently drive a Golf R which is up for sale. I am back to the office 3 days a week and the GOLF R is not a good commuting car. In terms of driving habits, I commute 100km to work 3 days per week with the odd trip down the country for meetings(300-400km in a day). Otherwise its 10-20km trips to the shops/kids activities/grandparents and some trips to the airport(50km). I have the use of a charging point at work so can charge while working and charge while sleeping at home. My wife has a 5 series diesel car which I can use if I think range/charging will be an issue on longer/more remote journeys. My car is mostly used for work duties but I use it at the weekend for Daddy day care duties so need 5 doors, reliable and safe. I plan to change both cars to EVs as soon as possible.

I had the opportunity for an extended test drive in a VW ID4 and liked it a lot. However I never buy brand new cars and typically avoid financing cars. I like german cars and have mostly owned BMW and VWs in the past.

I am split between a few options.

PHEV – like a 330e/530e. Charging/range issues are less important but would prefer to go EV. It would just about get me to work one way on a charge but this means pluging it in after every journey.

VW GTE – Again range is pants but not a huge change from my current car which is an up side.

EV

E-Golf – 250km-ish range will get me over and back to work at least twice but I have been keeping an eye on donedeal and they don’t seem to shift that fast. I know they are an ICE platform with an EV system retrofitted but are they bad or worth considering as my first EV?

Telsa- Very interested in this brand but entry price point is very high

BMW i3 – Seems pretty small and range is low but think I can live with that.

VW ID3 – Second hand ones are starting to come down to the mid/high 30s.

Ford Mustang Mach E - Like Telsa, very interested but price point puts me off.

Without going out and testing driving lots of cars I would be keen to get some opinions from people that have owned EVs.

Any and all info appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement