Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time to try an EV. Opinions sought.

• 11-02-2022 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

So having been a die hard petrol head for the last 20 years I have turned to the dark side and I am looking to get into an EV. I currently drive a Golf R which is up for sale. I am back to the office 3 days a week and the GOLF R is not a good commuting car. In terms of driving habits, I commute 100km to work 3 days per week with the odd trip down the country for meetings(300-400km in a day). Otherwise its 10-20km trips to the shops/kids activities/grandparents and some trips to the airport(50km). I have the use of a charging point at work so can charge while working and charge while sleeping at home. My wife has a 5 series diesel car which I can use if I think range/charging will be an issue on longer/more remote journeys. My car is mostly used for work duties but I use it at the weekend for Daddy day care duties so need 5 doors, reliable and safe. I plan to change both cars to EVs as soon as possible.

I had the opportunity for an extended test drive in a VW ID4 and liked it a lot. However I never buy brand new cars and typically avoid financing cars. I like german cars and have mostly owned BMW and VWs in the past.

I am split between a few options.

PHEV – like a 330e/530e. Charging/range issues are less important but would prefer to go EV. It would just about get me to work one way on a charge but this means pluging it in after every journey.

VW GTE – Again range is pants but not a huge change from my current car which is an up side.

EV

E-Golf – 250km-ish range will get me over and back to work at least twice but I have been keeping an eye on donedeal and they don’t seem to shift that fast. I know they are an ICE platform with an EV system retrofitted but are they bad or worth considering as my first EV?

Telsa- Very interested in this brand but entry price point is very high

BMW i3 – Seems pretty small and range is low but think I can live with that.

VW ID3 – Second hand ones are starting to come down to the mid/high 30s.

Ford Mustang Mach E - Like Telsa, very interested but price point puts me off.

Without going out and testing driving lots of cars I would be keen to get some opinions from people that have owned EVs.

Any and all info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

A new Model 3 is probably better value than a second hand one at the moment.

It's a fantastic car, super performance, super efficient, superchargers. There's two in stock if you're ready to go now. A few more might pop up when the deliveries arrive in the next few weeks as people who can't get finance etc have to cancel orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭eagerv

Another one worth having a look at is the new Hyundai Ioniq 5, good value at about €39K for the 58kWh Executive version, well equipped and roomy if you can do without leather etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

MG ZS EV long range

• Registered Users Posts: 13,231 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d recommend buying new at moment. Lots of cars would meet your needs for commute so it’s up to you after that really. I love my Id.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sheedy234

I drove an mg zs ev long range(440km)yesterday and liked it , solid on the road and good spec the Exclusive model,will probably order Monday. Next delivery date I think is Jan 2023!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Aa above you are in price bracket for this. Great value, great range, size and some nice extras that only more expensive cars have. Drawback is the delivery now which most brands are suffering due to chip shortages. No ones walking into dealers and walking out with cars these days unfortunately. So second hand your paying over the odds.

Personally. I don't think the sunroof and leather seats is worth the price over the excite model.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sheedy234

Extras on the exclusive.Heated front seats ,rain sensing wipers,climate control,keyless entry,leather seats ,6 way adjustable seat electric,panoramic roof and roof rails but I have just read on old forum that they may not be loaded rated which is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

How much extra for that? That's a shame about the delivery. I was considering it because my jag is throwing up false ad blue faults to beat the band plus I was hoping to avoid servicing in October

Des that mean the only EV for immediate delivery is the Leaf?

The keyless entry is across all models. The climate control is merely a pollen filter and odour filter. It's 3 grand extra for above. The only thing I'd want is the heated seats tbh.

Electric seats are slow and a pain in the bollix in comparison to click a lever and shift instant. Sunroof... Meh...

Rails probably a good extra but could fit them afterwards. They are load rated but it's something like 80kilos if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭championc

Firstly, imo, go EV or stay Petrol or Diesel. Don't go PHEV. IMO it's a fudge.

Secondly, you sound like you could adopt a dual strategy of getting a cheap(er) lower capacity EV for the local and short trips and use the 5 Series until there is better supply of good range second hand EV's.

Thirdly, do not bank on the use of a work charger. The guy in the desk beside you could also have an EV next to week !!!

Lastly, look at the cost of a new EV over 3 or 5 years vs the cost of the 5 Series over the same period. Charging at home makes running costs absolutely buttons when compared to the weekly cost of an ICE.

And don't rule out the Kia e-Niro. First registered in around April 2019 with all from March 2020 having the 11kW onboard AC charger and the wider infotainment screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,797 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Since you mentioned kids, I'd give the ID.4 another look. I picked it over the ID.3 purely for the extra space which was important when you have younger kids

It's also worth getting as much battery capacity as will fit into your budget. I know you've the BMW for long drives, but it tends to happen that you'll use the EV more and more, so having the option of travelling long distances without a charging stop is always a plus

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'd say the i3 is probably bigger than you think. It's much roomier than it looks.

On the other hand you mentioned daddy day care which may or may not work with the coach doors.

Some people find them good for fitting child seats but probably a definite try before you buy to see if you could live with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Might hijack this thread for some advise if that's OK OP :) Have been considering an EV for quite some time and am a fan of the tech and greener credentials in general. Was going to go for a 330e PHEV last year but didn't pull the trigger in the end.

Circumstances have changed since and I'm now WFH full time. My typical trips will be short 5 - 10km round trips every 2nd day or so, weekly 100km round trips and maybe monthly 300km trip. Maybe around 10k KM annually. Couple of newbie EV questions - is it worth the outlay when I'm not going to using car all that much? How are EVs holding value in comparison to PHEV or ICE?

Not seeing a lot of value in used cars so maybe worth stretching for a new car and taking advantage of 5k grant.

My budget is around 40 - 45K, could stretch budget for the right model. Would like something sporty if possible, the BMW i4 would be ideal but out of range. Maybe worth stretching for a new Model 3 or an ID4? The new Kia EV6 looks pretty cool too. Any other recommendations are models to look at? Thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭championc

My first opinion is, go EV or stay ICE. Don't entertain a PHEV. IMO it's a fudge.

Secondly, get a 60+ kW car, so you can comfortably travel anywhere without worrying about charging on-route.

Sounds like a Kia e-Niro is too plain for your taste - but it is excellent I have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Well you could get a Model 3 for 49k if you can afford the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

The BMW 330e is a really great car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

With that budget, all your trips would be covered with a BEV.

Model 3, ID4 or ioniq 5 with a little budget stretch.

If you want to strictly stay below budget, Kia eNiro for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Also came accross the cupra born this eve, when launched might come in under budget. Nice looking car too.

Will try keep short list to 60kw or above.

Not hugely pushed on look of model 3. Would prefer the EV6 over the ID4 and Ionic 5 too. Also saw it got car of the year on one of the mags aswell. Maybe I'll try keep saving, get a test drive and place an order for early '23

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

How is a PHEV a fudge? I have one and only use €20 petrol every 3-4 months, there seems to be a lot of people on these forums that look down their noses at PHEV owners for the life of me I don't know why, i do plan to move to a BEV but that won't be for a few more years.

Can't see that poster using 20 quid every 3 or 4 months based on his extended mileages tbh. So prob a fudge for him.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 27,764 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The original poster who's doing 100KM per day. A PHEV won't cover that on battery so he'll be spending more than €20 every three months on petrol if he went that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Don't bother arguing, its a waste of time, some one says don't rely on the chargers at work, get an EV instead because the guy next you might have a EV next week, now there is 2 guys with an EV wanting to charge in work for free, LMFAO. Even if you win, it reverts back to some silly clause, I meant "this" and I love phev's, my mums getting one.

If the OP is going to spend 50k, he will probably be happy with the car and what ever hardship he might or not suffer can be blamed on a local, ecars or a phev.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not a case of looking down at PHEV owners, this forum just has some militant PHEV owners who believe that their particular hammer makes everything a nail, it results in circular arguments instead of finding a best fit for an individuals circumstance.

Viva la ReVOLuTion.

POWER TO THE P̶E̶O̶P̶L̶E̶ CARS

EQUALITY FOR ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,644 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id try and drive as many as you can but for me personally on looks alone at that price range has to be the Ioniq 5 with the ID4 second, both have plenty of space, ID4 being a more regular looking car and you will feel at home coming from the golf.

Best fit in this case is 2 options and a fudge. KIA NIRO phev is 1500 euro cheaper for a fudge and I am the militant offering circular arguments to a non existent problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Niro PHEV doesn't have enough range to make it sensible for OPs 3 day a week commute, and with the access to wife's diesel car, OP has plenty of options to go BEV instead.

• Advertisement

Tell him the truth about this bit " the odd trip down the country for meetings(300-400km in a day)"

This is from some one who drives a fudge, granted he wants an EV now, "Have a 2020 Niro phev ,43000km on it average 3.6l/100km up to 4.6 on long journeys (300+ km)" averaging 3.9/ 100 km.

This is from someone who drives a diesel "My 520d Long term average is 29MPG" 9.7 l/100km

The OP can make it to work and charge and make it home, without any petrol, he can drive his occasional 300 - 400 km without great expense and bothering his wife, and not spend 5k or more extra and have a great many more options, that's what I would call sensible, the BEV hammer hits and misses.

Advertisement