Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parkrun, lap two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭dedaw

What's Shanganagh park like as a course? Flat? Would you expect to get a decent time there? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I only did it once years ago but from what I can remember, it's not flattest but not hilly either.

Flattest parkrun I've done is Naas if you're seeking a time 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It's a fair course. all on tarmac path.

1 x 1k lap of the backfield + 2 x 2k laps of the perimeter.

The 1k lap has a tight turn after 400m, and a slight drag to the high point of the course, from there the last 400m to the finish is quick.

The 2k lap is net downhill to the main gate, main challenge here is that more times than not you'll face a stiff westerly breeze for about 600m on the long straight, from there you have a slight climb until you join your first lap at about the 500m mark, so a little drag between the 2 loops. You are more sheltered in this section so never get the full benefit of the westerly.

If you are at the front of the field you will run into traffic, plenty of space to pass on the grass apart a few sections entering the different fields and you have to keep an eye out from people entering the middle field football pitches from the carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

For anyone in Waterford the Tramore event isn't on tomorrow due to a duathlon, Nature park in city goes ahead as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi. Can anyone tell me is it the same barcode the kids scan for Junior parkrun as the regular Saturday parkrun? We've never been to a junior event but might get to one soon.

TIA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A few got called off this morning, Athlone and Oranmore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

First week of not even attempting to get to parkrun in years for me, except for pandemic shutdown. Decided to not bother trying to take the kid along on Saturday anymore and take it in turns to parkrun ourselves ... But then with all the events shut down around here wasn't even worth it for the other half to attempt find a run that was happening. :(

Hopefully get to have the dog tow me around a fast course next week now though.

• Advertisement

Seems that parkrun are about to make a ban on running with dogs using proper canicross kit, and instead insist on using handheld leads. Dangerous way to run with dogs and will encourage more use of just collars rather than harnesses, and would be totally inappropriate for some of the courses I've run at with the dog. Seems like they are trying to fix something, but getting the completely wrong solution to it. :(

Is there a source available for that? Hope that doesn't happen

It's been an email to event teams from yesterday that has been posted around the various social media groups. I'll try to locate the text of the email...

Here is the main part of the email :

*** Participating With Dogs at parkrun ***

parkrun Operational Change:

The time has come to update our dog policy. Specifically, we have decided that, effective from (and including) Saturday 2 April, we will no longer permit parkrunners to use waist harnesses when participating with their dog.

From 2 April we require all dogs participating at parkrun events to be on a short, hand-held, non-extendable lead. From that date, it should always be stated in the first-timers and pre-event briefings that we only allow one dog per person, on short hand-held non-extendable lead, and that dogs should be to the side of their handler, and within arms reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Are dogs a problem at parkrun, and in particular canicross dogs? I ask because the parkruns I run most frequently at don't have dogs at them (stipulation of the park/landowner). The rare occasion I've seen a canicross runner at parkrun, the dog and the owner's behaviour have both been fine.

Really not sure what has motivated the change. Saw a rumour it was to do with governing bodies wanting to limit dogs at running events, but this is not the way to deal with it.

Ban dogs totally would make more sense, and whilst annoying would just have to accept it. This change to saying to run with handheld leads is dangerous for both dog and runners, and doesn't actually solve any potential issues.

It gives less control over the dog, potential for people who don't know better to think using a collar for running is OK, more chance of loose dogs as you can't hold a dog securely by handheld lead, and a bunch of other reasons.

parkrun have recently acquired a dog food/ kit sponsor as well, and I believe they are getting involved to try and educate HQ about why banning canicross kit is very wrong for dogs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have run a lot of parkruns at a lot of different courses and never had a problem with a park runners dog. I assume there was an incident of some sort that they are reacting to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

The issue tends to be like all with the owner and not the dog.

We were at the first corner of St Anne's last Saturday and a runner with their dog flew up on the outside, caught the directional arrows that then bounced up into the path of the runners on the course. They had straddled the sign with the lead and sent it flying. Those things have sharp ends.

Edit to add I don't agree with the new changes.

Post edited by aquinn on

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Just ban dogs, Caincross are the worst, an absolute pain in the hole (should assisted running be allowed?) they fly off and then slow down, once you try and go by them there is no telling what way the dog is gonna go, i've been taken out by one on a down hill section, happened again a few weeks ago.

Numerous times on looped course had to go off course to get by path blocked dogs runners and leads taking over the complete path.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

St Anne's has had a course change. The long straight Avenue is no more 😢😢😢

They have gone back to the old new course that goes parallel to the coast with the uphill section at the end.

There was good reason to change tbf and makes sense but my best ever times were always with the Avenue as the last km

• Advertisement

It really depends on the course. They should potentially look at advising courses that are multiple laps with loads of people and narrow out and back sections to consider banning dogs. But there are a few courses near me which are single lap on wide forest roads and you get superfast canicross runners going around there with no issues whatsoever.

The problem with the new policy is that parkrun are actually advising more dangerous way to run with dogs as handheld leads are completely inappropriate for running with.

Agreed, my local is a single lap forest run, 100 runners would be a busy day. No inconvenience to anyone and thanks to running there multiple times, he knows the course too (attached the whole time).

I believe parkruns already had the ability to ban dog runners if they felt it was hazardous to the event (or buggies as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

Aren't buggies effectively banned at Marlay? Had heard rumour they are asked to start from the back, which is PITA but totally up to the volunteer team what way they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭py

Have heard the call to have them at the back but feels silly to me. They would be better off having faux waves at Marlay due to the volume of people. Start at a certain point based on where you think you'll finish. I see many people up near the front only for them to be left behind after the first or second corner. Very frustrating. It is certainly not a race but if we're timing it, there's going to be an element of competitiveness with yourself or someone else. A female runner a few weeks back pushing a double buggy was starting near the back but had to work her way passed dozens of people as she was quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, and overtaking with a buggy is really hard since you can't really see your front-wheel and an off road excursion is a bumpy one!

Hence, I think buggy and marlay is not a great combination. I actively avoid it now for that reason.

I've thought the same about waves but I think ultimately that would start to erode the ethos of it not being a race etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭pc11

I know St Annes well and I don't see what sense the changes make, to be honest. This new course is much slower and will go right past the market stalls twice.

I genuinely can't understand the enthusiasm for the change. The existing course worked fine for many years.

The main issue is that it clashes with GAA for 4-6 year olds. 150 or more nippers and parents with buggies and bikes and scooters arrive on the the narrow bit of tarmac that is part of the parkrun route at 9:45 onwards and requires about 10 marshalls at just that spot to keep everyone safe. Even with that you see oblivious parkrunners running on the side they were specifically told multiple times not to run on.

It is an accident waiting to happen I think which is (I assume) why it is being moved.

The current course is far superior to the one that they are changing to and I would say a lot of the enthusiasm is just people realising it had to change and trying to be upbeat and non critical about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Agreed. Anyone who has marshalled at that spot will know that it is a near-impossible task, with the volume of runners and pedestrians converging. No matter how many times, or how nicely, you try to keep runners and pedestrians apart, many of them ignore you, either deliberately or unwittingly. It just seems to be human nature. I've had people look me straight in the eye while doing the opposite to what I've just (nicely) asked them to do. I too prefer the original route but the situation at that part of the course (if that's the reason for the change, which it may or may not be) was unsustainable, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Athlone has been called off again. Course is still too waterlogged.

Advertisement