Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unhappy with owning an EV in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ulster says no… hard to do anything up there

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yes, I wouldn't recommend anybody buy a PHEV if they have any plans to charge at all in public. They are the wrong tool for the job. PHEVs are designed to cover daily usage with charging from a home base and to operate as a petrol powered hybrid the other times.

Have the ESB not brought the electricity to your neck of the woods yet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think the NI private network is better than the public network!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The idea is that you put a charger in your house so that covers the area you live in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I had a €1,000 deposit paid on a Skoda EV. After reading Eddie Cunningham's article in the Irish Independent a few weeks ago regarding the peace of mind he had while reviewing the new Skoda diesel, after he had been reviewing and driving different EV's over the previous 6 months, I have cancelled that order. Going to stick with a diesel for peace of mind for myself. Personally, not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Does Eddie Cunningham have a home charger installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Never had an issue charging in the last 3 years. Never had to queue for a charger. Haven't done as much touring as expected with the pandemic etc ..but happy I can get anywhere in the country with one short charge. Main issue I've had is the car is charged faster than supermacs or burger king can make my food so have to go and move the car before eating or else charge up to 90+%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

What is the range on the Skoda EV vs your usual mileage? That's the imortant point for you, not some other persons perceived peace of mind. If the range works for you and you can get a charger installed at home you'd be crazy to get a new diesel over an EV imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭eagerv

I often wonder about the independence of some print journos..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Yes if you're doing a lot of cross country trips the Supercharging network is very useful, don't forget the M8, Cork, Tralee, and soon M4 and M6, so basically most of the country are covered. Hopefully a couple added in NW and SE and you'd rarely/ever have to use any other chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭innrain

It's right in the name :)

It happened to listen to a morning show on radio when the two presenters started speaking about EVs and how difficult they are to charge. At some point one came up with the "Honey, you can't hoover now. I'm charging the car! ". Just to show how clueless they were regarding the subject. These "facts" then spread down to the public and people make decisions based on cluelessness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve called some of them out on social media about it and they block me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

The focus of not owning an EV has been almost exclusively focused on the Public charging network, despite the fact that for the vast majority of journeys -> You hardly ever use it.

I accept that a lot of folk cannot install a home charger as they might not have a driveway, however there has been big improvement with providing reliable on-street charging. These very clever lampost chargers are popping up. I've seen/used them in Malahide and Sandyford Industrial Estate (which has about 10 in a row). I've heard from several friends who were successful getting their management company to install EV chargers in shared parking for apartments. There will be people for whatever reason the above does not work, and I think a BEV for these folks makes no sense at the moment. It will cost more and fill your life with hassle.

The EV discussion still seems to be RANGE RANGE RANGE, despite the fact most modern EVs can drive across our small island no problem on a single charge. We tend to not focus on all the benefits driving an EV brings:

• A vehicle that gets consistently greener over it's lifetime, and pollutes less and less as the grid improves.
    • Batteries that last far longer than the average lifespan of a car, and have second life grid storage utility before being recycled.
    • Drastic improvement in air quality, where the majority of people live (schools, urban environments etc)
    • Less death and illness as a result of cleaner air and less pollution
    • Improvement in noise pollution, which is real if you live in a city!!
    • Less car fires as a result of a safer and less combustible drive train/motor
    • Your EV will sing you to sleep everynight...after tucking you in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭eagerv

True, If I could add IMO they are simply nicer to drive, quieter, more relaxing and usually more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I bought a phev because you cannot rely on public charging, that being said I will use it, when available, when I have time, not much more I can do other than that, I have a choice in buying the right tool for the right price, where as I see being force to charge after 200 km the wrong tool for me. I could spend 50 k and be force to charge at 400 km,

Your a Phev designer now? Its lucky for the rest of the phev designers that electricity and charge points are available outside of the home.

What?

I am parked up or waiting and I see a charger, I should not charge because I dont want to stop on a long journey?

Reminds me of some guy on boards, who said its not worth charging because your paying for parking also, LMFAO , much better to pay for parking and then drive home on expensive polluting fuel.

Comical.

The range on the diesel Skoda car that I have at the moment is 1,450km on a full tank. The Enyaq that I had ordered was supposed to be around 500km. It was also about €10,000 more expensive for the privilege. I feel better once I cancelled it to be honest. Everyone has their own opinion.

Yes! 100% -> They are far more fun to drive!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Just because you make it work for you doesn't mean it's a sensible option or the intended use case, you are no better than the posters who believe a 24kWh Leaf is the most you need for cross country Ireland trips. I think you've fallen into the trap of buying a hammer and believing everything is a nail.

PHEVs have their place but jumping between AC chargers every 50km is not it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Perhaps the name of this thread should be changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭zg3409

A bit off topic but my opinion is traditional petrol stations are doomed. 90% of people for 90% of trips will fill up at home.

Those without home chargers will probably fill up at supermarkets for 30 minutes while performing weekly shop at unmanned "pumps". Lidl has already started a real roll out.

Motorway services will have people stop for 10 to 45 minutes. They may eat, toilet break, work or watch videos while waiting.

Petrol stations could become cafes, or take away venues, with all parking spaces limited to 20 minute expensive charge. However they may be in the wrong location, particularly compared to the amount of parking at supermarkets. Many petrol stations closed in the past, particularly on main streets. Adapt or die. The mark up on real food may be high enough to keep them going. They say they make money on fuel.

"Unhappy with the charging network in Ireland?" :D

I think we end up on that subject in just about every other thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Agresed just add EV is great, everything else bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭zg3409

Both those ranges are pure fiction. Maybe 900km at motorway speed, in EV form maybe 300km+ . That's 150km from home and then back again without public charging. That will work for most people with home chargers but not for those who regularly go more than 150km from home, that's about 90 minutes driving. If you go more you may need to stop and charge, and there needs to be 3x number of chargers for existing demand, 5x for next few years and 10x before 2030.

Have a look at plugshare app reviews for chargers being busy, broken etc. It's not uncommon to have cars queuing for 30+ minutes and multiple cars arguing over who is next or to hurry up etc.

As an EV owner the car is great, public charging regularly is not desirable.

In terms of media coverage there is a lot of bad articles in print, radio and tv coverage. Bad news often sells more than I drove a to b no issues. Motoring journalists are in the pockets of manufacturers, if they don't play nice they don't get cars to test. Some journalists get free cars for a year, along with flight, hotel expenses for reviews. All manufacturers except tesla have lots of petrol and diesel to sell and many of the new EVs for 2022 are totally sold out, so they don't want articles selling what they don't have to sell. The depreciation on a new diesel may work out much higher than similar EV. The public are being manipulated by the industry, Simi , the press, the government, while the clever person is driving an EV and making savings on fuel, tolls, maintenance and depreciation.

Post edited by zg3409 on

Only an EV driver would stop for a charge on a trip, you are no better than the rest and to be fair its not the first time I have seen it be said, when you assume that a phev driver stops every 50 km, even when I had an outlander with chademo, it would have been ridiculously stupid to stop at every charger.

On the other hand if I travel somewhere and my car is going to be parked you can be sure it will be plugged in if available, if convenient and why not, just because some one else was foolish enough to think that a charger would be available when he arrives.

That crap of charge at home is hilarious, it should really apply to EVs, it would avoid asking a business to open a window to plug in a granny charger because some Muppet is trying to make it from charger to charger or to home. I have seen that personally and some one else here, whos wife had to do the same, as the only driver for my family, I am not going to put my family through that.

The 24 kW leaf was the bee's knees here for a long time, while phevs were only a compliance, same year phevs can still travel across the country while doing the short trips on EV, it remains to be seen on what the ID4 or KIA 5 or some other EV that the Evangelist's are singing about will do in 10 years time.

I was disappointed in a recent EV for sale that was nearly 8 years old with a new replacement battery only doing 300 km motor way, it would be far too close to my minimum of 320km, while nearly 4 times the price I paid for my present car or double my previous.

Well I did 1250km on a holiday to Donegal 18 months ago, driving on, and there was 100km left in the tank. It cost €69 that day to refill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Is anyone actually on this "unhappy owning an EV in Ireland" unhappy owning one?

(Hearsay like brothers, uncles, sisters that didn't bother doing any research before purchasing not included)

I don't assume a PHEV driver will stop every 50km to charge, I've experienced them doing it, what over reason is there to charge an Outlander at a motorway service station.

You might be the first PHEV owner who's made the claim that they are not designed to fulfil the sweet spot of charge at home and cover daily commutes. Maybe it's just an accident that they fit this use case so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭mrm

Just WOW...that bit in brackets! Way to further silence the voice of that silent minority group 'somebodies brother'!😉

Advertisement