Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unhappy with owning an EV in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭10-10-20

We've a 2.5 year old 64kW EV with 80k on it now. Daily driver for the work commute of 130km.

We of course have home charging and for the few trips to Cork/Kerry/Mayo have only spent about EUR 200 on charging at eCars/EasyGo stops so far.

So they do work very well as long as you can do the majority of your charging at home and plan your other trips beyond that!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I live very remortely miles from anywhere so i reckon two Connemara ponies on my mothers old trap will be the cheapest of all as i have plenty of grass to re-charge them !!:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

PHEV's have a place, they are a good choice if you have a dependable daily commute which can be covered by home charging, and a regular longer requirement where you should be relying on petrol. My problem with PHEVs is when drivers of PHEVs try and use them as BEVs, they end up constantly charging their cars and complaining about the the network. If the driver is willing to go to that level of effort they should of just bought a car with a proper size battery where they need to charge a lot less. When you get PHEV owners complaining about the lack of AC charge points at motorway services they've really missed the point of their vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We currently own a petrol and a full EV.

When we come to change the petrol, I am seriously considering a PHEV, only because both our commutes would likely be able to be mostly done on battery power alone. One is 38km, the other about 18/20km. And as it stands, a lot of the driving the petrol does is short runs to shop, kids sports etc, when the EV is at work with me.

Plus we will already have the charger in place, and the full EV wouldn't be getting charged every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭SteM

No, just the charging network. Loved the Leaf otherwise. Now we charge at home and don't have to worry about the mileage we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Some people have more than 4 leisurely trips a year and to place ones hopes on a hub or a 10 minute charge has been proven a folly on more than one occasion and with the growing number of EVs, peak time charging will be a nightmare.

Fantastic if you have the time, but to add at least 30 minutes to a journey on what would be a long enough day is not worth it in my opinion.

There is no denying the fact, that this is a pro EV forum, people would go to extremes to promote an EV while mocking, making up lies about hybrids and plug in hybrids, even to go so far as to support diesel instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Well I am coming from a place where I drive a PHEV of my own and my siblings EV a couple of times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

I wouldn't be so worried about the falling road tax revenues. The increase taxes were mostly paying carbon costs.

Its the reduction in excise duties that Govt will be more worked up about eventually. That said, they will get more taxes (VAT) on electricity. I foresee a time when VAT on electricity >3 kwh will be higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

So phevs should only charge at home? why? Because some poor EV driver is depending on it? I could easily buy a EV and trip over my bottom lip every time I have to wait at a charge point instead I am delighted with my phev and hopefully I can get a charge when and where it suits me.

I only ever see EV drivers complain about charge points or complain about phevs charging at them, far too much complaining is done here about cable length, about ECars , or the placement of a charger in regards to 15 different makes of EVs.

I am sorry that phevs are made to be charged up and drove around on electricity and don't use as much petrol as you think they should use.

Saying that its a hassle to plug in is a bit much, coming from a guy whos car only does 200km, FFS it takes what 30 seconds to get a cable from the boot and swipe a card and plug in? Less if its a tethered cable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The thing is, for every person that moans about it, there's another EV owner that is oblivious as they dont need the infrastructure.

Its horses for courses.

Charge at home daily, avoid the Public Chargers if at all possible!

But for balance, ive found since payments have come in, i pass by empty fast chargers daily nowadyas.

• Advertisement

I though your sibling has an M3P?

One of the few cars that has really good range ???

Why on earth does he need to swap to a different car to drive up North? I certainly dont.

Can you give us a sample journey where your brothers M3P cant cover the journey?

Or indeed, one that you cant cover in the M3P where you have to worry about charging.

Clearly not driven around the north of Ireland all day. That’s our companies main area although we do have clients all over Ireland.

So your gripes are outside of our Country.

This forum is mainly, if not completely Irish (Republic of) based.

If your based in NI, and you rely on the public chargers, then you bought the wrong car in my opinion.

No way would i buy an EV if i had to rely on the public chargers for multiple charges every day which by the sounds of your posts, you require. Bad planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As a non EV'r, the problem I can't get my head around is the economics of charging. Land is very expensive and if you were to have the same throughput, in terms of energy dispensed per hour, comapred to fossil fuel service station, it surely would be horrendously expensive.

A petrol bowser can fill about 12 cars an hour, whereas an EV charger would struggle to fill 1.5 an hour. Then there is the markup you would need on the electricity to pay for the land and infrastructure, which would have to be massive. Given petrol stations go out of business due to vialbility issues, despite what look like better expenditure vs income prospects on the face of it, it hardly seems surprising there is an EV charging network problem.

Great to know you don’t consider me part of “your country” I really have nothing more to say.

They may make it back with shop purchases.

We all know there's no profit in petrol/diesel (1-4c per litre), but if people charge and grab a tea etc

But with reduced charging times on cars now, people may decide to stay with their car instead of going into the shop?

I dont know tbh, i dont use public chargers so who knows where we are heading?

More 32 county BS.

I’ve seen politicians dodge questions like this before.

Why not just answer the questions?

Sounds like something is been hidden with your posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

People can’t usually fill up their petrol cars at home.

I’ve had an ID.3 77kwh since august. On Friday I drove to Dublin 130 km away in sub zero temps - did a days work. Drove to city centre for a spot of shopping. Drove to raheny and parked up for night. The following day I went out to donabate for a walk. And came down the m5o and home. Got home with 11%.

Two weekends before that we drove to centerparcs. Parked up for the weekend and drove home.

I have never needed to use public charging in six months of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DANMAN2016

A world where 130km commutes are considered 'fine' or sustainable won't be saved by purchasing a new product like an electric car. (one which is mostly powered by fossil fuels anyway)

• Advertisement

While I agree with your commute text, I have a 6km commute from north Dublin to the city centre and I detest it!

But if someone was doing a 65km journey in an EV, surely that’s better than an ICE?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Seriously????.

If you have space for a pony or intend to have such a space - you will be able to charge your EV at that same space.

If you are willing to travel by pony at a slower pace then charging an EV won't really be an issue.

If the whole country moves to EVs then sheer necessity will force the deployment of chargers everywhere they are needed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It should be doable to develop a totally fit for purpose network for charging EVs.

Remember - the technology to make this work largely exists TODAY....

Where the thing is struggling is that the Irish way of doing things is to rely on the numpties at ESB eCars to do the job.

Say what you like about Easygo but they are at least willing to try and get out there and put chargers into various parts of the country.

Granted they are overly reliant on Lidl sites at the moment but that shouldn't be insurmountable for them.

We really need a focus on how other countries do it.

Theres really good practice internationally that we should adopt.

Like Dundees charging hubs.

I really like some of what Norway does - like Bjorn Neyland explaining once how Oslo airport had over 700 charging points.

We can manage grid demand too - in fact EVs can help manage the grid by acting as energy storage when not in use.

The charging of the cars can also be supported with battery storage. The Freewire Boost charger even has a battery built into it.

The Freewires battery can take in power at 20 kw when not in use and put it back out to a car at up to 120 kw. Will still as I understand it - charge an EV at 20 kw if chargers battery fully drained.

Need to think beyond the limitations of what ESB eCars can do at present

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Did he not say he bought a PHEV? Don't know where he lives but as plenty of people living in the Republic do business or regularly travel to the north, the point seems valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

I read somewhere recently that most EV owners have an older ICE or PHEV in the household or regular access to an ICE/PHEV as a second car. From what I see locally that holds true. Therefore most EV owners shouldn't be unhappy with owning an EV in Ireland as they shouldn't have range or charger anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DANMAN2016

Marginally, depends on a lot of factors like when they charge the car even. A bigger issue is that EVs won't be able to scale without large amounts of sustainable and dependable energy on the grid, such as nuclear power. So people feeling good about buying EVs now aren't doing much else other than feeling good about themselves. Transport requires far more energy (about X2) than the electrical energy produced for the grid. This isn't to mention of course the incoming shortage of (efficient) battery materials globally and the (completely unknown and environmentally/economically unfeasible at this point in time) storage network that will be needed if we decide to go headfirst into the 'renewable' only folly like the (highest-electricty-prices-in-the-EU) Germans did.

In Australia the government has already thought of that .you pay per km you drive on the road.

That’s the point. He mentioned he can’t use the network but gives no examples.

He can’t use the network anyway in his 330e as it only slow charges at 3.7kw. You can’t really have a gripe with the network when you have a small PHEV (10 kwh or so) and a charging speed of 3.7kw now can you.

Then mentions his brother can’t drive in NI because his Model 3 can’t charge anywhere either?

I don’t understand where he’s coming from tbh.

He was asked to give a typical journey that he or his brother can’t complete but won’t.

If I was regularly doing trips way beyond the range of an EV, I’d argue an EV is not suitable for me. Especially if you need multiple chargers per day. That’s unsustainable from a mental point of view alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

So you like the Phev because you don't have to stop for 30 mins on a long journey to charge an EV when you can keep driving. But at the same time you are going around charging a Phev at public chargers??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭sh81722

The only two reasons the public charging situation in Ireland can possibly look ok are: 1) you drive a Tesla and your journeys are on M1 or M7 or 2) You compare the IE network with NI. Well maybe the presence of Ionity also somewhat helps.

It's mad to think that both NI and Scotland, two provinces of GB, probably started with the same idea and funding to create a public charging network and the one that did not end up with ecars to implement it got it right.

The only redeeming quality of the NI network that I can see is that it makes the IE look "better".

Advertisement