Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota Corolla Touring Sport

• 31-01-2022 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Hybrid, and was looking at the Toyota COrrolla Touring Sport as I need an Estate model.

I like their Sol model and this would be the one I'd go for, I've a test drive lined up for tomorrow or Wednesday.

Has anyone driven one? Any thoughts on it? The price is good for me, but not sure what else is out there for a similar price.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just be fully aware that no matter what the sales guy says, these cars are 100% petrol powered.

what price are they going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

30-34k I'm looking at the 34k one, the Sol.

What is the Hybrid side of things then?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

He means that they are 'self charging' as Toyota calls it - and which annoys a lot of people. Basically the battery is charged by the 1.8 petrol engine and to a much lesser degree by regenerative braking.

I considered buying the same model, Corolla Touring Sport in December. Really like the shape of the car and like the 1.8 hybrid set up (a little low on power) but a very pleasant place to be. When I say low on power, unless you are doing lots of motorway driving or doing lots of overtaking it shouldn't bother you. Wouldn't consider it under powered either. The EV and ice work very well together. Massive boot and nice spec.

Fair play for going the estate route. Would have one (and do have one) over an SUV or saloon any day. I think estates will become more popular in the coming years (at the expense of saloons and hatchbacks as opposed to SUVs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭silver_sky

The only thing that goes into them is petrol. They can recouperate a small bit of energy but that also was originally gained from petrol. Nothing new about them. It's the same 20+ year old stuff from the Prius with some fresh marketing.

Take a look at the MG 5 estate, that may interest you. Full electric and basically same price as the Toyota but then you have the fuel, maintenance, tax, and toll savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

I picked up a new Corolla TS Sol in January and I’m really happy with it. Getting used to the auto box in the Corolla took a while after always driving manuals but grand now.

the child seat does take up a bit of space in the back of the car but there is loads of boot space and tech in the car. Very comfortable to drive too!

• Advertisement

The other way of looking at this is it is proven technology. Something Toyota buyers go for given that reliability and value tend to be high on their wish list.

Good call on the MG 5 Estate. It has gotten really good reviews and has a long warranty. The one thing that put me off was the styling. They remind me of those Peugeot estates from the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ive one since oct last year and love it, one thing to be cautious of is its not a big estate, i came from a VRS hatch and it had a bigger boot....but then again the only thing with a bigger boot than an octavia is a scania with a 40ft.

I'm well happy with the corolla though, SOL model has decent spec for the price etc. I find mine lovely to drive to be honest

Looked up the Octavia prices there and it looks good value in comparison to the Skoda. Apart from the 1.0 petrol that is, however I don't like the idea of a 1 litre engine in a car of this size. Same with Ford and the 1.0 Ecoboost in the Focus estate.

The 1.8 naturally aspirated petrol would be my preference.

Do you miss the power from the VRS?

The current one does look a bit dated alright. There's a refresh on the way but not sure when exactly. I heard later in the year.

Europe got it first and UK & Ireland got a technical update but no facelift.

• Advertisement

@silver_sky the front end looks much better in that picture but they could have done a bit more to the side. Don't like the way those lines run below the windows. Could live with it though. I'd imagine they will be very popular with Taxi drivers with the grants they are getting to go full electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Beautiful car the news Corolla tourer. Looks great and fine road presence. Probably as big as an old model Avensis was. Great buy I’d say and surely reflected in the strong resale values

The other interesting thing I discovered recently is that Suzuki are selling a rebadged Corolla Touring Sport called the Swace. They also have a rebadged RAV4 but that isn't available here at the moment.

Would be going for the Corolla though as there is no great saving in going for the Swace, especially when you compare specs and consider likely resale value.

They already are very popular with taxi drivers. Quite a lot of those that arrived last year went to taxi drivers. Very good deal!

There's one Irish taxi driver that's been documenting his ownership and experience on YouTube. Some good videos. He moved from a diesel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrWingsuited

Just saw one on the road as a taxi so far. Need to be getting out more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Nope, thought i would but i dont. roads are so busy now youre just sitting there in traffic anyway

Loved it.. I ordered one I'll be picking it up end of Feb/ Start or March

and this is the main reason i didn't got with the MG - the current one just doesn't look the best, the EU one looks amazing, but I spoke to MG Ireland and they said there is no plans to bring it to Ireland..

Great decision. Congrats. What colour did you go for?

• Advertisement

Very nice. There are enough silver Toyotas on the road already so glad you went with the blue!

My current car is Silver,,, so wanted something different.

Picked her up yesterday. It came in early.

I love it !!

That's a beautiful colour and really suits the car! Well wear and thanks for the photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭thebackbar

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but just wondering how you're getting on with the corolla touring now? Still happy?

Ya still happy with it. Mileage is food, no issues with the car,

Some annoying things like when you connect your phone so Android Auto works it automatically starts playing the last Audio book or Spotify you where listening to.. even if it's been hours/days since you actually listened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

That’s a function of android auto rather than your Toyota. My wife’s Android phone connects to my Seat and does exactly the same thing. It plays the last YouTube music playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The android phones in question aren't Samsungs by any chance.....

In my experience Samsungs do weird glitchy things at times.

Had a modern smartphone Nokia in between two Samsungs and the Nokia was much better behaved from an android viewpoint.

The actual main Samsung phone itself is more solid - ie less likely to break so I've learned to live with glitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi. No they are google phones. There is a 4A and a 5 in the house and each does exactly the same once connected to android auto.

Advertisement