Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jamsie2001

I cycled through Dublin a few times during lockdown in 2021 and the litter and dirt was unbelievable from that bridge opposite the Abbey Theatre, which is also heavily graffitied, to the streets around Pearse St. I am really ashamed as a Dubliner to see this state of our streets and angry that nobody in Dublin City Council or in Leinster House seems to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I spent a good few hours walking around the above mentioned areas on Tuesday and didn't witness any serious amounts of littering. What "trash" are you talking about, it's a very American word. Are you talking about plastic bags and general rubbish or fly tipping? Or trash bins waiting for "dumpsters" on the "sidewalk"? Google street view seems to back up my experiences, but you've never seen such an amount of "trash" in your life there? I've seen worse in a ditch in Donegal where there's a lot less people.

Stonybatter is a cracking, vibrant city centre area with amazing amenities. I can 100% see why a young wealthy person with lots of disposable income would buy a house there. I know young people that have done and are very happy with their investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I thought jackeen was just a dublin expression I can't see Ireland population going up that much .

people in the EU know rents here are high rental units mediocre and expensive I simply do not think we have the building workforce required to build 20 k houses per year, the government plans maybe 2 years in advance it can only spend X amount per year on housing Gardai salarys hse health care must be paid for every year it can't suddenly reduce the amount spent on health care to build more houses

We are not America where they can print money i think the birth rate is quite low at the moment what keeps the economy going is non nationals from the EU working in shops hotels Cafes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

We need to find the money from somewhere, borrow more even and build, build and build some more. We're in a housing crisis that's going to cause massive problems down the road with so many pensioners that will be renting. Dublin needs to enter the high rise building world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Even though I have not been walking around Dublin City Centre for over 3 years at this point. The legacy of the city environ's during the lifetime of the pandemic really has taken a big hit in it's confidence in how it actually functions properly to people who live around the wider parts of the country.

I know that it may not be that much of a surprise for you to read that statement here on boards because it does strike a very familiar tone into people that have dealt with their struggles during this difficult situation. Every other major city around the world has experienced the pandemic like everyone else.

Anyone who has lived in these other parts of the world regrettably has to take an equal share of the pain in how their own environment has degraded all around them as a result of the pandemic right in front of their own eyes.

It's just that Dublin's problems with drug abuse & homelessness that were established in parts of the north inner city since the 70's & 80's were just magnified to become worse in a very dramatic way when Covid came into existence. And the effects of that problem were just hitting the nail right in people's heads.

You would hear of a huge list of things like the following that have occurred with the environment of Dublin City Centre during that time.

You would hear of innocent people getting needlessly stabbed by swathes of thugs

People becoming victims of hit & runs

People getting involved in anti-vax protests

People openly taking drugs & harassing innocent people using the trains

And people who have been attacking & assaulting frontline workers like those working in food delivery services, healthcare, public transport & also towards members of the Gardai.

It's just one huge level of crap that needs to be properly addressed once COVID eventually dies down. Dublin has taken some positive steps to cope with these issues in the interim. I would say that increasing the presence of the Gardai around the city has made a very positive effect in how the city can manage it's reputation of becoming something that resembles a functional city once again. Again I say functional. I know it's not perfect. However it is something that's better than nothing. I don't how far that presence will go tbh. Because it is something that may not last because these Gardai that are on the beat around the city may have other duties to be doing while doing this job.

The situation with the IÉ workers who had voted for industrial action because of anti social behaviour occurring on their services is something that I do understand from their pov. I think the same thing will happen with the bus and Luas drivers too sometime in the near future. I think when you hear of teenage thugs & people from other age groups actively involved in spitting on drivers as a way of spite for not wearing a mask on the bus or on the Luas is utterly scummy behaviour. I don't not blame drivers or other PT workers in that situation if they had to vote for industrial action in this way.

I don't know how the city would improve itself beyond that though with keeping things just ticking over with little to no intervention. If people working out on the frontline in Dublin are going on strike who are knowingly doing it during these times within our own capital city. There must be major drivers of worthwhile changes needed to allow that to happen.

These guys are a sending a very clear message out there that large cohorts of peaceful people who live around the city & county are fed up with scumbags who are going around the city & are treating it like a shithole to further their own detriment.

The levels of anti social behaviour that is occurring out there on the streets of Dublin right now as a result of Covid just cannot be tolerated by countless sections of normal people anymore.

• Advertisement

Yes we need to borrow to build but we are limited by eu borrowing limits, but we also need to get 1000s of workers back who left 2 years ago to go back to eu countrys. x per cent of young people like to fight ,thats common in every city.theres good areas, quiet area,s ,random standard apartment blocks, this happens, an area becomes cool, coffee and cool cafes open there,.Prices go thru the roof,only rich middle class people can afford to buy a house there .its gentrified.Dublin has a choice ,become a modern city, build large high rise apartment blocks or young people will leave as they cannot afford to buy houses, renting long term with rising rents is not a great solution for most people

Every city has homeless people and drug users . I think it would be ridiculous to have your whole experience of the city be ruined by a tiny percentage of idiots, it would be like banning driving because there's a few people who drink and drive. The homeless people I see sleep in tents or maybe beg for money with a paper cup I don't see them as threatening at all. Maybe slightly annoying. Every city has lowlife and criminals . You d have to be very close to someone to know if they are using drugs. Read up on new York crime in the 70s. It makes dublin look like quiet. Even building 10 or 20k houses will not make much difference , what we need is high rise apartment blocks for young people, and workers to buy or rent at a reasonable price. It's a ridiculous waste of resources to be building 3 bed houses within 5 miles of the gpo. Germany has a national building program well planned if the population gos up by 100 k they build 95k housing units. I don't know how long it will take to get back to normal, almost every street with shops on it has 2 or more vacant units, for rent for the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Thanks for that description of things. I honestly wasn't aware that things are this bad in Dublin these days. I am only aware of the sky high cost of renting. Maybe it's pressures like these combined with the pandemic which are creating these scenarios.

I, ve never seen anyone taking crack or heroin on the street. , the problem I see is many streets are 75 per cent empty, shops or cafes that are closed for the last 2 years. Even grafton street has a few empty shops. Will those shops ever open again, I don't know. I think there's so many people working from home many cafes coffee shops can't make a profit, they rely on people working in offices that are now empty. Will things get better or will we end up with dozens of empty shops for years. Or will landlords have to look for new tenants.dublin city council has workers going around emptying bins and ckeaning streets

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've seen open dealing almost every single day when I worked in city centre, there's a complete blind eye to it. Whenever I'm abroad and people say they want to visit Ireland and in particular Dublin I tell them not to go anywhere near the place as it's a complete drug ridden kip.

I pity the large corporations investing millions in the city, particularly those working on the former Clerys site, they should just burn their money in the open air, the area it's in can not be dekipified as there's too many bleeding hearts wanting to keep the 'unwell' scum about the area. Arnotts should be given a refund of all rates for 2021 for having to have the front of their magnificent store kipified by the scrounger scumbag market stalls selling thrash and knock off rubbish every Christmas on Henry Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Dealing is not the same as taking in the open air. I have been in other countries and seen open use of hard drugs on the streets. Drug addiction is a health issue not a criminal one.

No need to pity large corporation making a ton of money in Ireland. Go to any Spanish city and the graffiti is a huge issue. Very minor issue here in comparison. Markets you don't like are all over Europe. We don't have the illegal immigrants selling tat on a blanket running away from the cops every 20 minutes like other European cities. It is of course different from a small town in Ireland but it is city living.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I lived there for 18 months. Had very few issues. Got hassled and threatened by scum on the Metrolink about twice I think. Had some junkies moved in by a desperate and incompetent agent. That's about it. Overall, I found the place much easier to live in than Dublin. Much cheaper, better airport, 2 hour trains to London, friendly locals and all the amenities you'd expect in Dublin which are often better.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I can see nothing in this thread that shows that dublin is worse than other european city's, I have never seen anyone openly selling drugs, I can see a problem with many small shops and coffee shops that depend on office workers buying coffee grocerys etc will they be able to stay in business if most office workers continue to stay at home working from home. There's people posting here who seem to be obsessed with drug users who maybe make up less than 1 per cent of the population i would be more concerned with the large department stores that have closed in the last 2 years Debenhams etc dublin is the capital where most of the big tech offices are located I would expect it to be more exoensive than a UK northern town if you google homeless new York or Los Angeles camps you'll see other places have a much worse homeless problem than dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

we actually can create a limited amount of money ourselves, by borrowing and running a perpetual deficit, we also have the abilities to create our own financial institutions, public banks, and use these to create a limited supply of money through lending, but we may never actually do this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Biggest problem with Dublin (apart from housing) are the gangs of little scumbags roaming about. They had the place to themselves during lockdown. But theres always been gangs of scum in Dublin city centre.

But its far better and much safer than other cities. Try London or Manchester for knife crime, Chicago for shootings or San Francisco or San Diego for homeless people.

We have it good in comparison.

This is what San Diego looks like. And not the outskirts, right in the city. Everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Dublin is a large city and attracts every type from society those who want to live there pay huge rents and that is their choice they must like it. The diversity & mutliculturism in the world defines all the major cities and you live there if you like and if you dont you run a mile. Simple as that. I like an occasional visit to Dublin for theatre or events / expos in RDS but otherwise I prefer rural ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Having worked in the city centre (College Green) for the last 20 years it's hard to miss openly selling drugs if you walk around. It happens at all times of the day basically. In the evening and at night there are lots of North Face/Canada Goose wearing teenage knackers walking around dealing. And this is outside of the regular drug addicts.

It has definitely gotten a rougher edge over the lockdown but it's improving again now that things are opened up and people are getting out again. There are still places that are quite dodgy though and the central square of temple bar is basically overrun with teenagers drinking on the streets on busy evenings which is a new feature since Covid. Moore Street has loads of Roma gypsies - as does the area at the top of North Earl Street. The food banks at the GPO and on Grafton Street don't look great for visitors either, so I can see why some people could have a bad view on the place.

I'm in there all the time and I like it, but I can understand why some don't. I think a lot of the issues are more in plain sight than in some other capital cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The myth, as an excuse to do nothing, that Dublin is a "safe city" is getting rightly smashed the last months. Good chunks of it at the moment are patently not safe enough.

When even government TDs are saying it you know there is a serious problem.

It's all a result of concentrating every social ill and service in a really confined area that is the city center.

I repeat my prediction that it's only a matter of time before there is an horrendous incident and it will be somewhere like O'Connell St, Grafton Street or maybe Temple Bar in broad daylight - and it won't be some unfortunate foreign victim down the IFSC like that poor woman that went disturbingly under the radar when it should been on the front page of every paper.

I worry that's what it will take to wake the people in charge up. It will be the outcry and anger.

You can see what's coming.

There have been scumbags in Dublin city for 100s of years. Its way better than it used to be. The feral scum that had the empty city to themselves during lockdown exaggerated it.

Junkies around the Spire is nothing new either. Thats what happens when you put methadone clinics in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The clinics are a total disaster but who decided that would be a good idea? Dublin City Council are partly to blame for that. Someone should have realised that concentrating all this in a confined area wouldn't end well.

The thing about the clinics is it's not the users per se, it's the fact it drags down the tone of the place and like flies on sh!t the feral gangs follow. Makes the public realm not the most comfortable.

They need to seriously rethink all of this and get at least some of those out of there.

If they want to attract people back in they'll have to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭zv2

I remember we'd saunter down to the Baggot Inn to see Brush Shiels. It was a very different city then. Now it's a cross between London and a favela.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭zv2

This is painful to watch. Was he really that bad? lol

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Most of the self aid bands were awful.

Can you tell me where theres a city with no crime and no homeless people and no drug users.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jesus, at 1:10 you can see Shiels laughing… an expression of.. “ god we are so fûckin shîte and we are getting paid wham! Haha “

In terms of the drug issue, what are the checks on ferry’s ? It’s been a while and I can’t recall if foot passengers are having carry on and checked bags xrayed ?

if a truck had its spare wheel / tyre hollowed out and full of drugs…there isn’t a way of checking…

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Moving away from Dublin and we don't want to raise our child along thugs and drug addicts.

Lived 20 years in Bucharest and I never heard of a friend or relative getting attacked there, heck .. my relatives leave their keys in their cars and gates open.

Here my wife got attacked twice while walking on the street in broad daylight, someone broke my windscreen, stole my wheel caps, broke into neighbour's shed/house, car burned down, someone got shot and a Lidl got taken down right beside me.

It is mostly kids that cause all the issues and yes parents are at absolute fault and when you talk to other parents they all swear their kids are absolute angels ... it is what it is.

Are things in Dublin really that bad at the moment? I am only guessing it's the pressures of life there, the endlessly high rents and issues finding places to live in.

Are you originally from Bucharest? Just wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I think it's hard to see it if you see it every day, it becomes normal.

Was in the Luas with another friend coming from city centre and you have your normal people and then your junkies talking about how they just got out of prison and drugs. Asked my friend if he doesn't feel uncomfortable and he said no .. it's just normal.

Yeap, was born there and I had higher expectations of Dublin, in terms of littering or antisocial behaviour.

Really hope moving slightly further away from Dublin would be safer, for my child at least.

To give an idea, I never ever ever heard of a break in in Bucharest (from friends/relatives/neighbours/close contacts) while here in my estate it's easier to count who didn't had a break in. I'm not saying it doesn't happen over there either but nothing like this.

• Advertisement

The situation you're describing, regarding conversation about out junkies out of prison and drugs, I've heard from people from the East Wall and Fairview / Marino area, or people who were foreigners oblivious to these problems and recently moved there. East Wall I wouldn't even consider going to, especially not at night.

I truly think that Dublin has rough spots, even rougher than other cities in Europe, also I think that many people don't have the same perspectives as others. The high cost of renting seems the main cause of issues.

Dublin can also be an open minded welcoming place, however underlying issues are also always present.

The feeling of becoming a victim in Dublin was to me always twofold, the one side was the issues arising from becoming a victim of crime, on the other side it was the general feeling of uneasiness and constant insecurity. I also had the feeling to Dublin that if "push came to shove" nobody really cared and nobody was to rely upon.

Dubliners tend to brush that all away, from "it's normal" to "it's happening in other cities as well".

Incidentally and in mind with all that recent police wrongdoing in the UK( Sarah Everard killing), I've interestingly never had the same feelings of insecurity at all while living in London. I also didn't know or overhear any conversations of break-ins, nor did my friends, neighbours or close relations speak about it.

An interesting read. I didn't realize it was that bad and that obvious. I haven't been to Dublin in over 5 years now.

Advertisement