Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Beef Value

Options
  • 11-02-2022 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Looking at the CBV of my cattle and have a mix but luckily heifers over 300 CBV. How are other lads cattle faring? Hoping new BDGP scheme is a mix of CBV and stars as the heifers which are crackers are only 2 star replacement but make good cows. Home bred and I know breeding going back generations. New scheme is 80% 4 or 5 star when it ends ie 2028 and if is strictly off stars I will not be in it even though in current one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

With the way the stars are rising, a lot of lads are going to struggle to get to the 50% unless using a large chuck of AI. This will have to start early to build up the stars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Even using 5 star AI bulls, there’s no guarantee the heifers will be 5 star in 2028.

Even in current scheme I know of lots who had loads star cows in ordinary years but the same cows dropped to 3 star in the reference years.

I think there should be no star requirement but all cows need to be calved to count

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The stars are determined by the euro value. As people are using more and more higher euro value sires, thus lifts the star/euro rating.

Stars are assigned at each icbf evaluation run according to the euro value of all female beef stock

• A 1 star is in the 0-20% range of the national herd
    • 2 star is in the 20-40% range of the national herd
    • 3 star is in the 40-60% range of the national herd
    • 4 star is in the 60-80% range of the national herd
    • 5 star is in the 80-100% range of the national herd

Stars/ euro will have to be assigned to heifers as these are the future cows.

5 years ago an €80 value would land you in the 5 star bracket, now it is in the 3 star bracket due to more an better maternal genetics being used

The key is if you want meet the target for the new BDGP/Suckler scheme, greater use of AI will be needed. I read somewhere that only animals bred will count and this will prevent buying in dairy cross heifers. They are already counted in the euro/ stars so this makes it more imperative that a breeding plan is put in place when signing up. Breeding is about small steps forwards with each calf

Advertisement