Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of non-safe neighborhoods in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Marino is directly beside Ballybough is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As most posters on the thread have agreed, Marino is now a kip... SWIDT

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭dublin49

Average house prices in Marino are around 500k,fab place to live,great schools Clubs ,access ,Near fab Dublin Bay,best place in Dublin to live bar the silly money areas like D4 or Sutton/Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chucklebrothers.com

would anyone have advice on places to avoid in bawnogue?looking at houses to buy and seems pretty quiet and safe...looking at melrose,lindisfarne part ect...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Plenty of pockets within D4 do not fit the typical "affluent" D4 that many assume. Ringsend/Irishtown has a few sketchy parts. Picked up a Dominos near Grand Canal Dock and couldn't get out quick enough -groups of youth hanging around on bikes causing chaos.

Personally D6/6W generally speaking would be a safe bet. But again this is one of the most expensive postcodes in the country so not realistic for a lot of people.

I know Tallaght quite well - although it has a terrible reputation, some parts are lovely: Belgard, Kingswood, Bancroft etc.

• Advertisement

Those kids aren't from grand canal dock, they're from the filthy warrens of Pearse Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

I know Clondalkin gets a bad rep but the village is fine and there are a few apaartments going for under 220k if you browse Daft. Not amazing areas but its a decent spot to rear kids. Inchicore is fairly sought after too, can seem a bit rough but three bed gaffs go for 250k.Google the area in the news section of google, see what you come up with but let it not be the sole basis for your decision where to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I have recently been traveling around Dublin suburbs picking up tools from adverts. It has brought me deep into areas I would never normally go. It is pretty easy to spot a dodgy area as you approach it. If you see massive security barriers on shops and takeaways it is likely to be a place with high GBH. If there are a lot of vans parked in the area it will be rough and dirty.

Finglas has nice parts but overwhelmingly rough and run down. It is actually scary driving there. Was there on Sunday and there were 4 lads ridding sulkies down a main road. Rubbish just all over the streets and run down property. I don't see it ever becoming gentrified unlike other former council housing areas. Donnycarney has about another 15 years to turn but completely but well on the way to being rid of anti-social residents.

What's high GBH?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When I was a kid the lads in Clondalkin would rob motorbikes and use the chains they cut to blow power to entire estates(not going to go into how on the internet). That was 3 decades ago but the rep was deserved then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I've never heard anything positive about Finglas, Cabra, Glasnevin or Phibsbourogh, but for temporary renting it's probably bearable.

Very bad is East Wall, North Strand and around Fairview park. I would never ever rent there, or even worse buy something there.

Cabra, glasnevin and phibsboro are extremely desirable and expensive areas.

East wall & north strand are not very bad at all, as for not renting there? You probably couldn't afford it!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Feckin hell!

I know my mates in Neilstown used to use burnt out cars as bases when playing as kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

This thread should be moved to crime Or something!

it’s not really accommodation or property.

I've seen hundreds of robbed cars bating around Irishtown (Dublin 4) over the years.

I still wouldn't live in any of these areas and also expensive doesn't mean quality in Dublin at all.

You are way off there on Galsnevin and Phibsbourogh are great areas with Phibsbourgh winning a world wide review of areas in Time Out.

North Strand has changed so much and is getting more expensive everyday. There are currently plans to build 2 more apartment blocks there with another one under construction. Marino is also by Fairview park and highly desirable. East wall is still rough but changing rapidly.

Most properties in North Strand being sold goes to a well paid professional now. Lots of lawyer, doctors, high paid IT workers there. The old locals have mostly moved out. Reminants are renters mostly and they are getting priced out by rents and sales of property.

There are some nice places in Finglas and Cabra but overall they are rough. Cabra looks like it could gentrify but not Finglas. Coolock is going to get worse when they add all the rent only apartments

Thanks for the update on this. I haven't been to Dublin in a while.

Were all the drivers wearing a classic robber's outfit or something?

🧐

You've never once seen the likes of that video in D4, quit your fibbing.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

No such offence as GBH here. The offence is now called Assault Causing Harm afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

And this is precisely why this thread should be shut down. Some dreadful takes that can damage an area's reputation. Boards posts come up in Google searches.

No matter where you are in Dublin there are good parts and bad parts to any area. The bad guys don't s*it on their own doorsteps usually so the "good parts have their own issues.

Yet you put down 6 different areas, based on nothing and then said you wouldn't live there. 🙄

Not your ornery onager

I would still stick to my views and opinions. It's still a free country. People can chose to live or prefer areas they like or don't go where they dislike it.

I also feel that places in Dublin like Finglas, Cabra, Glasnevin or Phibsbourogh and also East Wall as well as Fairview or around that area are rarely worth the money to live there, at least that's what it was 4 years ago. As said, things might have changed, I am not there. Under the pressure of the high rents, it's understandable if choice is limited and one has no other options.

I do understand why some might feel offended if they bought there, paid a lot of money for something overpriced.

4 years back there was somebody I knew who lived in Island Key apartments off East Road in East Wall. That was an area where I was actually scared to go to at night. The whole place looked really dodgy.

But that's the sad part about Dublin, - the endless housing crisis often the lack of options and the lack of quality.

Even if a thread get's shut down in a forum, opinions on certain areas still exist, forum or no forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You don't live in Dublin and have admitted that you haven't been here for some time. I live in Dublin and and frequently in several of the areas you've dismissed. Yet you think you have the right to disparage them without first hand recent experience??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Glasnevin is fine, very little crime… it’s an established area with very little new properties. Phibsboro grand for the same reason.. scrotes really can’t afford to move in….and rent is not cheap…each areas close proximity to DCU, the airport and the Mater respectively makes them very sought after.. good transport links and various other reasons too..

finglas is a mixed bag, Ballymun of course too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You really don't know Dublin at all if you thought Glasnevin was dodgy 4 years ago or even 40 years ago. It was always very middle class and safe and still is.

Does this look like a ghetto to you?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/8krcm7FBajDNp9nQ9

This actually looks nice. Maybe Glasnevin has different parts? Ballymun was pretty bad as well. - at least back then, when they've had these concret blocks which later on gotten torn down. East Wall was certainly a ghetto, - however I wouldn't quite use these words......

Coming to the better parts, I actually liked Clontarf a lot same as Howth. I'd recommend these places any time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Everlong1

This. I bought a house on the border of Inchicore/Lower Ballyfermot about 14 years ago. Ballyfermot was seen as a rough area years ago but it's being gentrified big time these days. I know someone who's bought a house in Jobstown too and is delighted with his decision, lovely neighbours all round him. That being said you do have to be careful. A lot of formerly rough areas are being gentrified but at someone mentioned above, there can be pockets of toerags is some areas. Lower and middle Ballyfermot are sound these days but Cherry Orchard is dog rough, a lot of social housing toerags end up there.

Advertisement