Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of non-safe neighborhoods in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Glasnevin and Phibsboro shouldn't be lumped in with the rest, they're lovely areas. Particularly Phibsboro. Check out around Iona Road on googlemaps if you want to see houses you'll never be able to afford.

And of course expensive means better, that's why places like Blackrock and Clontarf are so expensive to buy. Why would people pay more to live in a worse area? you're not making any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

It's mostly driven by property prices.

Otherwise why would someone be paying €800k for a 3 bedroom house in Clonskeagh when you can get a similar sized house in Neilstown for €200k....

Proper Glasnevin is certainly one of the most expensive areas in North Dublin.

However some estate agents are using Glasnevin as the address in adverts to inflate the property price when in fact the house is based in Finglas or Ballymun...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

you havent a clue , Glasnevin is perfectly middle class , as is Phibsborough for the most part

the others are mostly grand too , North Strand is an area with great potential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭tinytobe

i was dead wrong then. Also, maybe my memories were different from back then. The last time I was actually in Glasnevin, Finglas and Phibsborough was in 1999 and 2000. Memories also can fade and be distorted after so many years. I liked Castlenock, though and anywhere around Phoenix Park.

North Stand and East Wall may have great potential. However that depends on what's being developed. I'd say this area is probably going a similar direction like the docklands or Canary Warf in London. Investment coming into Dublin ( maybe due to the hostile environment caused Brexit in the UK), more and more offices and up-scale apartments? Don't know if these two Hanging Gardens high rise buildings ever get built. They certainly look nice on the plans.

Knocks glasnevin and phibsboro but hasn't been in it for over 20 years 🙄

Glasnevin has always been middle class and expensive, phibsboro a little less.

• Advertisement

Ive never lived in Dublin and even I know that Glasnevin is not a " bad area "

Phibsborough more central to town so can rub up against challenging areas but still desirable as Dublin 7 or close to town goes , probably slightly below Stoneybatter in terms of desirability but not much in it

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I am probably totally wrong but I always regarded phibsborough as the Northside version of rathmines; lots of shops and a good number of students.

I like them both.

would not be near as desirable as Rathmines ( or have as wealthy of residents ) but perfectly fine , Phibsboro would have been seen as considerably more desirable than Stoneybatter until about fifteen years ago when Stoneybatter became a real hipster destination , its probably bridged the gap in the last three or four years though ?

I always found phibsborough more lively than Stoneybatter though. I only have a few years in Dublin to base my judgements on. I wouldn't mind living in either.

these things are usually subjective , not like they are chalk and cheese , two fairly similar close to town desirable areas on the North city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It appears you don't really know Dublin well enough to have a valid opinion. I suspect you don't actually know the areas you were in and\or it was so long ago. Fairview is a nice place but it appears you think it part of East Wall which is only part of the picture in that people from East Wall use the park. By Island Bridge apartments there is now a Lidl, Aldi, Starbucks and Mc Donald's. That is all very recent

It isn't a surprise you like some of the most expensive neighbourhoods in the country. I don't think you appreciate that a very short distance makes a huge difference in Dublin. Marino is by Fairview Park and is highly desirable.

The money has nothing to do with Brexit at all. People see the benefits of not commuting as long so areas become gentrified. Phibsbourough now has a huge college grounds now. Was a bit rough before by virtue of being so close to the city and formerly cheap rent. Dublin Docklands is our Canary Warf, North Strand is mostly residential housing with people living there so not going to change that dramatically. Apartment blocks going up won't really change it. When the chipper closed down and became an Italian restaurant in North Strand was probably the biggest signs of the neighbourhood changing. It still has a lot of room for development and you would be surprised at the amount small businesses operating around there like car repair.

I'd call my North Dublin knowledge outdated. I still remember the "Muddy Boot", the "Glimmer Man" and the "Waxie Dargle" pubs, a friend of mine lived in the area close by. I am also aware that I may be offending others, especially if one is tied to a certain neighbourhood, always lived there, has close friends there, etc.... I've gotten to know these areas around 20 years ago. Cabra and Phibsborough seemed rough. Finglas, Ballymun, and East Wall appeared the worst to me. But again, that was many years ago. In East Wall I was last, around the financial crisis and I didn't enjoy it there back then.

Dublin Docklands may have changed, but it's not Canary Warf. What's called a "tower" in Dublin's Docklands is maybe a tree stump in my book. However this may change at some point, if this "Hanging Gardens" development ever gets built. I'd also agree that the area would have good to great potential.

And then there is Ballsbridge, Sandymount and Donnybrook which I recall as highly desirable.

The underlying problem is that Dublin is a small town, a nice and desirable town, but often with Paris or London prices.

You don't have the knowledge to discuss these areas and you are way off on pricing in Dublin is the same as Paris or London. It isn't about offending people you just don't know what you are talking about. What you are saying doesn't make sense. Dublin Dock is what it is and you can't create Canary Warf without having mass vacant lands from former dock which is what Dublin Docklands is. Height restrictions are a totally separate issue. East wall is still one of the poorer areas in Dublin so not the best but it is changing very rapidly right now.

Where do you live? It doesn't sound like you lived in a urban environment much. Dublin is the capital city and generates a huge amount of GDP so it will be more expensive than the rest of the country. Prices are nowhere near as high as London or Paris. You can buy a house 10 minute walk from the city centre for under €400k try that in Paris or London .

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Dublin is an average sized city by European standards. Go up the Dublin mountains and have a look down and see if you think its small "town".

Its part of the issue here. our city centre is relatively small and has been arbitrality cut off at 2 canals leading to comments like yours. its slowly changing of course with all the inherent problems. maybe if people hadn't been so dismissive we could have changed things and challenged nonsense statements.

You'll have people tell you that Rathmines or Phibsboro are suburbs while they say Lambeth is London city proper.

https://irishcycle.com/2015/11/03/is-dublin-a-low-density-city/

Yes, I am an outsider if you may use this description, but I've lived in Dublin and spent more time there than you might guess. But also to say, I am way off on things regarding housing or safety is also not correct. The thing is, back then I was 20 years younger, less experienced, Dublin was a different place and I've had many friends who were internationals and not from Dublin. All of us were having different experiences regarding where to live, where to rent, etc..... What I also recall as being rough was Corduff, and Hartstown and Huntstown, both in Dublin 15. Colleagues at work went sometimes to the "Ice Nightclub" in Corduff, and reported brawls and fist fights on occasion. Dublin was also the only city, I've ever lived in where gang violence and even shooting around that was constantly happening and often in the news and perhaps overblown by the news. Like the Hutch-Kinahan feud, however this seems to have stopped. Back in 2010 I recall it was rather often though. Also contrary to your suggestion, I've mostly lived in cities, not in the countryside.

I also recall the prices to buy a place rather moderate in Dublin, even to date, if one has savings or in my case the "right age" to have that or do that. However that might be different now as well, with bidding wars in many cities, I'll hard to believe bidding wars don't happen in Dublin. But in all that respect London is still more expensive.

What's way more an issue in Dublin is renting, and the exorbitant rents compared to the value you're getting and large demand for it, - viewings with 30 or 40 others at the same time. One other underlying issue in Ireland in general is the smallness of the country, everybody knows everyone at some point on the island, sometimes leading to lack of competition and higher cost everywhere. Before the financial crisis there were only two major construction companies operating in Dublin which were at least present everywhere, Cosgraves and McInerny, I recall. They seemd to be responsible for the majority of all the construction. For instance construction cost seems to be higher than anywhere in Europe, also prices in supermarkets are higher than in other places like France for instance. Maybe it's the smallness of the market in Ireland, or the fact that much is imported and that again translates into cost.

Regarding London, the city just feels safer to me than Dublin. Maybe it's the constant CCTV everywhere in London, maybe the police is acting swifter and faster, or straighter, - no idea? I recall one terrorist act in London, happening in the "Katzenjammer pub" within 6 minutes some special police units were at the scene and the terrorist was shot. I don't think if something like that would happen in Dublin, it would be 6 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't know what you are talking about now. You don't know Dublin is very clear. You are clearly not aware of the city nor the suburbs. I don't guess how long you have been in Dublin, you could have lived here for 20 years and never actually explored the place. What ever time you did spend here has not given you any insight to say what is a good or bad neighbourhood.

All the tripe about the rest of Europe is mind boggling and not relevant to this discussion. Last time I was in London the police where walking around with machine guns which didn't make me feel safe. I lived there for a year and I personally don't like it but to compare rent here to London is ridiculous. Friends live in Paris and the places they have are tiny and not legal here by our standards.

I don't know how you have such massive blind spots while telling people how you know Dublin and all it woahs. You don't as is obvious from your comments so please stop talking like you know what you are talking about as it is painfully obvious you don't. It isn't because you are an outsider it is because you lack knowledge. I really would like to know where you live so I can tell you all about it and we can see if I know more about there than you do about Dublin.

Sorry! Just always saw rathmines as the most studenty/normal part of Dublin 6

Not anymore. Very expensive to buy and rent in Rathmines. People who used to hang out there got jobs and bought there. Most of the split housing is gone or upgraded to high end. The removal of bedsits had some impact but it was mostly just cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 mrsgiller

Wouldn't be keen on Melrose or lindisfarne, Lealand or Alpine would be the nicer areas of Bawnoge. Woodford is much nicer and closer to the village And Luas. 

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chucklebrothers.com

thanks what sort of issues would be going on in paticular that would put you off if you dont mind me asking...yes woodford is nice but pricey enough with the 3 and a half rule

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I live in Phibsborough so I obviously know it well, it is definitely much more rough around the edges than Rathmines. Property is probably about half the price too (although some areas like Shandon in Phibs have seen house prices explode). But there are plenty of shops and cafes concentrated around the village. And on the thread topic, I have never felt unsafe in Phibs, and I've walked through it at basically every time of day or night imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You are totally and utterly out of touch. You're defaming perfectly safe and desired areas. Dublin changes massively in 5 years not to mind 20 years 🤬🤬🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Even in its flatland heyday, Rathmines always had a lot of middle class professional residents. Senior politicians like Garret Fitzgerald and Dessie O Malley for example lived there with their families.

A thread about non safe areas in Dublin and Rathmines is being discussed! :D

Here's the short version, most large council areas will be a bit dodgier than private but in saying that most are fine and fairly safe. If you want to live there is a different question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Actually back in the day Leinster Road in Rathmines used to have a lot of crime and was a bit on the non-safe side.

Also - what is a 'council area'. There is a big block of council flats right in the middle of rathmines. For example.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

Pfft, can't even afford a private parking space for the Jag.

When was back in the day? The point is there are very few areas safer and more middle class than Rathmines.

Large scale of council owned property, but sure ya knew that. Estates within Dublin 10,11,15,22 and 24. Smaller areas within the canals.

That block of flats in Rathmines isn't particularly big and IIRC is for elderly residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Probably 30 years ago to be fair. Having said that, i just dont think Rathmines is the best place to pick if you want to describe plush middle class Dublin. Rathmines is largely the stretch from the Canal to the Garda station. People confuse Rathmines with Rathgar/ Ranelagh which would be much more family home oriented, much closer to what you are saying "there are very few areas more middle class".

Rathmines has those big Georgian houses all the way up the main road, and along Leinster Road, alot of which are still in flats and arent suited to being family homes. And there are council flats on Rathmines Rd as mentioned, and council houses on Rathmines Road Upper. There are lots of different 'bits' to Rathmines, which includes a full spectrum from council flats to affluent houses. I actually do think Phibsboro is a good comparison, albeit that Rathmines a bit more affluent.

Advertisement