Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Wick 4 (and possibly 5)

• 23-04-2021 7:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/when-is-john-wick-4-coming-out-co-star-has-update-on-keanu-reeves-sequel.html/

Initially planned for 2021, John Wick 4 was delayed to May 27, 2022, on account of the COVID-19 pandemic. With the extra time on its hands, Lionsgate offered fans of the series a bonus: the production would now work on developing John Wick 5 back-to-back with the fourth movie.

Speaking to Collider, Ian McShane gave an update on when John Wick 4 (and potentially, the fifth film as well) is expected to begin filming. McShane plays Winston in the John Wick films, the owner and operator of The Continental, a hotel for assassins.

“Keanu [Reeves] and I exchanged New Year’s greetings and said, ‘Hope to see you this year,'” McShane said. “I know the script is being written and they’re hoping to do it this year. I know they announced they were gonna do [‘John Wick 4’] and [‘John Wick 5’] together, but who knows. The studios announce all sorts of things. No doubt, at some point this year, we’re gonna do ‘John Wick 4.'”

Of course, things can and will always change, especially with COVID-19 cases back on the rise in many parts of the world. A lot of films and TV shows that had begun to resume production after the initial spread have had to shut down again in recent weeks.

Certainly, if John Wick 4 is unable to get in front of cameras before late 2021, another release delay might be in order. While not as laborious as bigger, effects-driven blockbusters, the John Wick films still require a significant post-production time frame.

Before John Wick 4, Reeves is also set to return as Neo in The Matrix 4, which is likely to receive a more series-appropriate subtitle at some point. The sequel recently wrapped shooting following a significant delay due to the pandemic. It is currently set to release in theaters and on HBO Max around Christmas time later this year.

Little is known about the plot of the fourth entry at this stage, except that it will be set after the event of The Matrix Revolutions. Lana Wachowski returned to write and direct the film, with sister and collaborator Lilly Wachowski sitting it out this time around to focus on her Showtime series, Work in Progress, according to Slash Film.

Alongside Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss will be reprising her role as Trinity in the sequel. Jada Pinkett-Smith and Lambert Wilson will also be returning as Niobe and the Merovingian, characters introduced in the first two sequels.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mel Gibson to Star in 'John Wick' Prequel Series 'The Continental' at Starz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,884 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement

Keanu gifted entire Stunt team £7000 Rolex watches

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The early bird catches the worm; having garnered a lot of buzz for her cameo in the latest Bond, smart move to sign her up to a different action franchise while the Broccolis figure their next move. Not that she can't star in both mind.

So hard to find what you want using the search these days.

John Wick The Continental will be a 3 night special event series on Starz set in 1975 New York.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I'm going to presume Gibson is playing a/the bad guy, given that appears to be the only roles he can get these days, for obvious reason. Unless his Hollywood Penance is complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

People have such good time for the John Wick movies (For good reason, I think they are brilliantly daft fun) that I don't think they'd risk making Gibson a Good Guy.

People love the movies because of Reeves' dedication, the shootout choreography and the fact that they KNOW they are ridiculously OTT (While RARELY winking to the camera. The scenes with Lawrence Fishbourne were as close as they got). I don't think the makers would want to rock that boar needlessly.

First teaser for part 4; spoiler, it contains highly choreographed violence.

Well.. that definitely gives a moment of the original matrix film vibe

I'd prefer a Polar 2 to a John Wick 4!

really looking forward to part 4... woke up early this morning, and empty house, watched the first 3 Wick movies.... so much fun...

Amazon have gotten the WorldWide rights outside of the US to stream The Continental series.

Peacock will stream it in the US.

No air date yet however it is expected sometime in 2023.

Keanu in talks to appear in the Ballerina spin off staring Ana de Armas

My first reaction.. John Wick Ballerwhatnow? 😁

Then 'ooooohhh, right yeah, that makes sense' from the article:

Ballerina will watch as a young female assassin

• Advertisement

Very Very Slick....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't see any other more recent thread, but I've just finished the trilogy and I cannot understand how this is getting a 4th film. They started off well, but by the third one it was just getting rediculous. And I won't go into the gun choice debate for the high table scene, with the shotgun getting about 12 rounds of 2-3 shells and the fact he knowingly used a 9mm on heavily armored enemies (and wasted about 8 shots on 1 guy....).

I get it. It's there to make it look cool and amazing, but it fell flat imo. I actually couldn't wait for the 3rd one to finish, I was sick of it by the end. Thought the new one was 5 and I still had to watch the 4th one, was happily surprised.

Even to hold these films up against others it doesn't do well imo. Great casting, some excellent performances Wick aside, but it didn't hold me for all 3 films. They don't hold a patch to Nobody or the Raid films. And Keanu just can't act. Lovely chap by all accounts, but can't act.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Not only is it getting a 4th but it's getting a 5th!

I absolutely love this series but I'm probably biased due to my decades long crush on Keanu. I think the whole world building is just fabulous, I get sucked in. I really like that they have a hierarchy with rules and regulations that must not be crossed, especially in the safe spaces like The Continental. Even little things like the origin of the coins, gets me intrigued. Not to mention the fabulous locations.

It's not a series you can pick holes in. I mean, it seems the entire world is assassins :)

It's a fun series of escapism. That builds a fun world but doesn't take itself seriously. It's so OTT cool that it's great fun. Are you going to watch it for deep drama? Nah. Are you gonna watch it for Not-Neo to say to Not-Morpheus "Guns, lots of guns!"? Hells yeah. I mean, I can't remember when I last saw Mark Dacascos (I think the last time I was him was in Brotherhood of The Wolf). And he's fighting DONNIE YEN in the next one!!! And it's got Hiroyuki Sanada!!! So many exclamation points.

It's impossibly cool. From the librarians all tattooed up to the gills and typing on typewriters and what looks like old Atari 500s, to all the honour amongst assassins fights.

I mean I watch these with a grin on my face as opposed to, say, Taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I can't remember when I last saw Mark Dacascos ...  And he's fighting DONNIE YEN in the next one!!!

Well that answers a question about the end of Chapter 3.

Oh sorry, I just saw him in the trailer. Assumed it was common knowledge

And let me clarify: It's JOHN WICK, not Mark Dacascos, fighting Donnie Yen in the next one (My phrasing was poor)

Edit: Clarifying

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

New trailer out for this; now. Here's the crazy bit. This film's going to be 169 minutes long - that's 2 hours 49 minutes and for comparison, the original was a trim 101 minutes long. I'm immediately sceptical 'cos it's a very hard thing to do... keeping an action movie's pace going for that length of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,982 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

awesome..... (taking it with a pinch of salt, but I am a John Wick fan)

Almost 3 hours is pushing it a bit isn't it? Like I'm a fan of the franchise, stylised violence, Keanu, and the preposterous idea there's this chain of high-end hotels located in major cities around the world whose clientele are made up mostly of assassins; but any movie whose main premise is action sequences and shooting goons in the head should never be more than 90 minutes long.

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wrong thread I think @peteeeed :)

I think one complaint (It's dumb) is a bit harsh. The John Wick movies were always GLORIOUSLY dumb and fun. They know exactly what they are: Everyone's an assassin and/or tattooed model. Everyone is super-cool. You can't have Hiroyuki Saneda, Donnie Yen and Keanau Reeves in the same movie without it being monumentally dope (As per Bane in the Teen Titans movie). All they are missing is Jet Li and Maggie Cheung (I know, I know, Saneda and Sawayama are Japanese and the rest are Chinese but do you think that's gonna bother me in this? Nah).

It's a series that embraces its lunacy and I say bring it on! As stated above, these always leave a smile on my face at their balls-to-the-wall action and coolness. Yep, count me in.

• Advertisement

I think she means there there is one piece of the movie, 1 aspect, 1 part of the plot, which she thinks is dumb... not the movie itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'll always defend a lengthy running time - filmmakers should make a film as long as they want. I will say, though, that I've lost some appreciation for the series as it has doubled down on its plot, lore etc... The first film excels thanks to its zero-nonsense world-building and setup. While subsequent films have certainly amped up the ambition (and quality) in the action and setpiece department, they've also IMO lost some of the spark and central momentum - similar to The Raid vs The Raid 2. For me, the more expansive the world of John Wick becomes, the less interesting it is. I really couldn't care less about the detailed machinations of secret assassin leagues. Whereas it was delightfully effective when Wick just walked into that hotel the first time around and there was this whole other world playfully hinted at - just enough to be tantalising without getting in the way of the straightforward revenge film that was playing out.

Stahelski can and should make the film he wants, and fingers crossed this one still delivers plenty within its nearly three-hour runtime. I've little doubt there'll be plenty of cool action to enjoy. But the more epic the series becomes, I do certainly miss the simpler pleasures of that first film.

I broadly agree with you, but I also think the Wick series has lost a lot of brevity and punch as it went on - in exchange for the increasingly baggy and IMO very boring and talky world-building. It's easy to forget the first film was a lean machine of John Wick avenging his dog (lol!) against a bunch of otherwise pretty "realistic" Eastern Euro gang members. Now all this Hidden World of Assassins has kinda lost the plot a bit, I kinda preferred it when Wick was just a really, really good hitman - not one part of some Secret League.

Have still enjoyed the series greatly, and my opinion really changed after a second watch of #1 when initial thoughts were all a bit "so what?". But I'd just like to see all the plot guff throttled back a smidge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭billyhead

Which one of the 3 movies would be your favourite? I would choose the 2nd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I agree with this. I do love the stripped back nature of the first one but because of that it does feel like a very generic action revenge movie. I love the world building in the second one but it definitely starts to overcomplicate things in 3.

• Advertisement

i love all 3 , really fit well together even though the 3rd got a bit of stick, i loved it , will watch them all before the 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,982 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

2 and 3 are good fun, but I love the first. A tight 100 minutes that sets itself apart from other revenge movies with the really well handled world building and playful tone around it all. The first time you watch it, it's genuinely surprising at each step - from the backstory, to his loss, and the dog, to digging up the coins and guns, and re-entering the criminal underworld from his past. It just hands out little hints of a bigger world - like the corpse removal guys working for coins - drawing you in. Brilliant bad guy duo too, with the son you hate, but the father you can empathise with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Was (and still am) a massive fan of the 1st one. Have seen it quite a few times. Second one was entertaining to get back into WickWorld. Third for me dragged and I never finished it. Maybe just wasn't in the mood at the time. Will defo try the 3 again before the next one.

Agree with Johnny Ultimate in that a lot of the pleasure of the first was not quite not knowing what was happening. Him knowing russian at the petrol station, digging up the guns and coins, the tattoos, 12 for dinner and the cleanup crew, Jimmy the cop.

Now that the mystery is gone its a fairly generic action series albeit with absolutely amazing action sequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lance Reddick has died at the age of 60

That's quite shocking: 60's no age at all these days. There's no cause of daeth; the cops found him but it seemed to be natural.

Not an actor with a huge range, but by god he had charisma and presence by the bucketful. I knew him first from Fringe (a show that has become curiously forgotten), not The Wire as many others might have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Going to see this tonight, have managed to avoid reading much about it so hopefully I can just park my brain and be entertained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was randomly looking at reddit and some jerk posted John wick 4 spoilers. Wasn't even on a John wick thread. It was a thread about Seinfeld! Hate people who do that.

Meh. Still gonna see it in the cinema tho.

Good, solid film. It could certainly lose some of the fat - one or two subplots / characters don't really resolve in any satisfactory way - but when it's good, it's as good as the series has been. In an era where action scenes are cut to bits with rapid edits every second or so, the filmmakers here know it's best to let stunts and actions play out in longer shots. It's hardly one-take stuff - except one neat overhead sequence in the film's back half - but everything crunches and hits the way it should. One of the few Hollywood action franchises to get this basic stuff right. It helps that the stunts and fight scenes are so crunchy in the first place - while it does revisit some ground from previous films, there are also plenty of novel locations here. A fight in speeding traffic and a lengthy staircase brawl stand out as highlights, as does one set in a multi-story dance club with characters being hurled from one floor to the next with back-breaking abandon.

Donnie Yen is a superb addition to the series - he out-acts and out-fights everyone, and there's no shortage of charismatic actors and talented fighters on screen. His character is a classic take on the blind swordsman trope, with the choreography equal parts graceful and fumbling. He's a funny, charming screen presence as well. What a performance.

It also does address one of the major existential issues the series has to deal with - how do you keep upping the revenge stakes for film after film? JW4 doesn't totally nail the landing - some questionable compositing work undermines an otherwise satisfying finale - but it does at least do some self-reflection and moves Wick's character on to a more contemplative one, even if it feels like Reeves has less dialogue than ever. It does, to its credit, also feel less weighed down by world-building and lore than its predecessor, even if there is probably a tighter film than this to be made.

A definite highlight is the slapstick-level gag where Wick is thrown back down the 200-odd steps he's just fought up. A wonderfully audacious punchline to throw into the middle of a climactic action scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

tried not to read or see anything, but just noticing that any thumbnails Ive seen have words like "amazing" in them, RT has a consensus opinion in the high nineties for both, rare enough. looks like the film should be a great success.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement