Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I was one such person. Some lockdown scepticism was given voice in British and American media. Irish media were exceptions in their blinkered adherence to the government position. In doing that, they were mirroring the prevailing view in Irish society.

I do not think they are unbiased. But what you call an agenda is merely the outcome of sincere but biased journalists trying and failing to be objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Depends. Flat earth conspiracy has gone from being barely exiatant, fringe joke, to a pretty big conspiracy theory because it had the Internet and mainstream platforms to spread it.

American etertainment news based on end-times panic, has led to loads of Americans believing in the deep state and the qanon conspiracy theory. Not to memtionnthe false flag sandy hook stuff.

Making these ideas mainstream and challenging them just makes it a 50:50 game. People believe whatever they want on the likes of twitter. I think giving flat earth a slot on Prime Time would only result in more people* giving it credence.

*Stupid people, obviously, but there are plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Freedom of speech only relates to government action/censorship. A newspaper not running a piece written by say someone with fringe beliefs on covid is not a free speech issue he newspaper is a private business and can choose to host the piece or not. I think Joe could leave Spotify and publish interviews with alex Jones or whoever he liked on his own website, he just wouldn't get all that lovely moolah.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Yes, I largely agree. I’m very sceptical of the classical liberal assumption that the truth always wins out. And even if it does, at what cost?

But by ‘in the mainstream’ I didn’t mean airing them on Prime Time. I meant continuing to host them on Spotify, etc - the edge of the mainstream, where they can be partly restrained. Taking Boards.ie as an example. Some pretty wild stuff gets said around here. But the presence of moderators and the occasional expression of dissent from someone who has seen the thread on the front page keeps things grounded, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Would Gad support the right of Joe Bloggs to change from spotify if they decided they didn't like their values? Or spotify the freedom to give a platform to whoever they liked, or do they have to give everyone a platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I dont have an issue with people using their free speech to remove themselves from a platform or even putting up a 'either him or me'ultimatum like Neil Young. Nor those who want to signal their virtue by doing stupid things. I do take issue w the fact that it seems the whole mainstream media is leaning in one direction and that alternative views are belittled and dismissed. Couple that with increased legislation and strong arm politics there is more than a hint of the fascist approach in the eye of the observer w a sense of history. This mission kreep seems to be accepted as normal. The pandemic has accelerated the process to no end. The take of the mainstream media about the truckers in Canada is the latest example of a deliberate blindness. The opposite of what happened during the 'righteous' cause of BLM in which the very real violence and destruction was seen as not a problem. Now the truckers are 'getting out of control', painted as a kind of new Trumpist jan 6 movement. Id laugh if it wasnt so sad..

I think the flat earth conspiracy is a great example. Where you see risks from giving those people a platform, I see absolutely no risks to society. Lunatics like those people need to be debated and exposed and ridiculed. Anyone on the fence should see the flat earthers get destroyed in a debate, rather than going to some corner of the internet and falling down a rabbit hole youtube videos and other nonsense that might support the crazy beliefs.

Again it comes back to the Gad Saad quote of "Sunlight is the best disinfectant".

• Advertisement

I am a child of the 80's and 90's. I remember in the 90's there was a lot of crazy US chat shows, anything from Oprah Winfrey to Sally Jesse Raphael to Geraldo to Jerry Springer. I remember they used to have on as guests on those programmes actual KKK and Nazis. Wearing the full paraphernalia, spouting out racial and anti-semitic slurs and generally being given a good airing.

Now, if that were to happen today people would lose their sh*t over it. But you know what happened then? Absolutely nothing. These people made absolute fools of themselves, and the vast majority of viewers considered them to be pitiful freaks. And the world moved on, because the vast, vast majority of people don't embrace such extreme views and want to live in a peaceful society.

The Canada truckers convoy is a great example of the media trying to dig up dirt where there is none. It's so transparent to me these days, I wonder is there anyone who actually believes the TV news that they see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, according to Gads definition, Spotify have no right to cancel Rogans contract even people leave in droves. I have no right to cancel my Spotify subscription either. Precisely why it's a ridiculous definition of free speech. Interesting to see that guy regularly blocked people on twitter and tried to get someone kicked out of university because of a tweet.

Flat earth is one example of a harmless one that has been given sunlight and it'sthrived in the last decade. The fact that its harmless means it hasn't been cancelled and has been given all the attention it can get for itself.

Other ones include qanon, deep state and all that stuff. Trumps big lie is thriving in America. Its mixed up with qanon and all that stuff. The only difference is that it's not as harmless as flat earth.

I wonder whether flat earth conspiracy is really that big or is just that the internet makes you aware of such people more and more? I mean I wonder what percentage of people believed in flat earth 20 years ago, 10 years ago versus today? I think there would be little or no change, it's just that we are more aware of the various subcultures now because of the internet.

Also I don't think flat earthers have really been featured in mainstream society in the past 50 years. They are so ridiculous they aren't given a platform, although I think if they were actually debated out in the wide open spaces, their worldview would be easily shown to be a complete sham and their movement would crumble. As it currently stands they are a niche that relies on lights and mirrors to trick gullible people.

The flat earth conspiracy has grown. I don't pretend it's believed by a big proportion of people but it has grown in the times pan you asked about. That's why I used it as an example. Clever people will use sunlight to disinfect, but qanon and things like the has thrived amongst stupid people precisely because its been given sunlight.

Put this stiff on a slick show that looks like news like Fox news, or a slick podcast like JR, and there you have it. And they can say they're just discussing the controversy, but that's not really all they're doing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I only notice the term "Flat Earther" being used as a jokey version of the much missed (although I still use it) dismissive word- Retard.

Over on today's episode of Stories of our times (excellent one daily pod from The Times) they chat about JRE. Might interest some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Is it much missed? I use to use it myself a lot but as I've gotten older and I know how offensive it is to people with intellectual disabilities, I don't use it anymore. Plenty of other words out there to describe people's stupidity.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I should've been more specific: I miss hearing it.

• Advertisement

Edgelords and people who don't acknowledge that things change over time, still use it. It's very cool and very impressive in some circles.

Sure. But you've already shown you'll call conspiracy theories 'abductive reasoning', if you don't like it or don't want to acknowledge it.

The QAnon abductive reasoning and The Big Lie abductive reasoning, have grown huge in the US because they have mainstream airing every day on right wing entertainment news stations.

Q anon is a conspiracy theory. It's roots don't have a kernel of truth. They started as trolling on 4Chan and then 8Chan. Trump being back in the white house last August didn't have a kernel of truth. Biden being dead doesn't have a kernal of truth in it (neither did Clinton being dead and replaced by a body double). It's not abstractive reasoning, it's a conspiracy theory and it didn't grow through censorship. It grows through exposure on the likes of right wing American news stations like Fox news and talk radio.

You can call it whatever you like, but it's a conspiracy theory and it's grown huge in the US through exposure, not through censorship.

I can already predict the response to your post. Some fake attempt to care about the "Greater Good" and safety and security. It's a lie. It's about control. There are some establishment types (political class, media class, the Davos types) who simply don't like the democratisation of knowledge through the internet. They want to be the gatekeepers of acceptable thought.

Its not so much the democratisation of knowledge, its the democratisation of the ability to spread any kind of information. Qanon information is equal to genuine knowledge and true information. Is that the kind of democratisation of knowledge you're in favour of?

Qanon and the likes are fine and dandy, so is JR, but if you can't tell the difference between interesting thoughe experiment and complete bullshyte, then you're on for serious trouble.

You're worried about the davos types, but in reality I don't know who is behind the qanon conspiracy (adjective reasoning, if you prefer), but I can't see how it leads anywhere good. There are other conspiracy theories like The Big Lie where its easy to see who is behind it and why. But then you're back to wealthy and powerful people using the democratisation of knowledge for their own purposes. What difference does it make if they're inside Davos or are p1ssed off that they're a tier below Davos?

I think I'd place Qanon in the same bracket as those 'National Enquirer' newspapers they used to sell. Absolute bottom of the barrel stuff, not my cup of tea, but also relatively harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I don't think what is,happening to Joe rogan is a concerted attempt to discredit it's,just an old fashioned pile-on on someone popular. In a few weeks someone else famous will be the object if their scorn. I don't see why flat earth qanon or trump election fraud conspiracies are mentioned in the same breath of Rogan. He doesn't support any of them and to my knowledge hasn't hosted supporters of them.

• Advertisement

These are not so much words as weapons. At this point, the functional definition of "conspiracy theorist" is the same as "grifter," "anti-vax," "contrarian," "misogynist,"

Anyone who expresses any doubts about anything these days is quickly smeared as a “denier” of things they don't actually deny, or as a crank, for continuing to cling to common sense.

If WMD were alleged today, you'd never know they didn't exist.

Advertisement