Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai assault...2 year sentence...

• 08-02-2022 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭

A sentence of two years....a real deterrent...he only has 105 previous convictions...but this time he will be a good boy when he is out I am sure...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

105 previous convictions is nothing. Sure, it could happen to the best of us. 250 convictions or so and that is when you need to take a look at yourself and get a bit of cop on. 400+, maybe we should consider some jail time then. A few months, nothing too draconian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Man who killed garda when he ploughed stolen vehicle into his patrol car admits endangering the life of another garda - Independent.ie

even when they do kill some one even a garda in the courts of his duty its not such a big deal for the courts .

we really can do with out some people

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The judge has no discretion to assign a sentence longer than the law allows regardless of what the person may or may not have done previously.

We need to do something about individuals with habitual recidivism, but it's not a simple problem.

A "3 strikes" rule is very flawed for a number of reasons. And crucially, it doesn't prevent recidivism. The biggest issue is that it doesn't create less criminals, just more dangerous ones. If you're a super-scrote on two strikes, then you're going to fight like a wild animal to avoid the 3rd one. It doesn't matter who or how many people you kill to avoid prison - because you can't make it any worse.

A system of escalating punishments is essentially the same problem. If you know your next conviction is guaranteed a 20-year one, then **** it, it may as well be life, so god help anyone who tries to stop me.

Some system for removing people from society is obviously needed, but it can't be hard and fast, rather it has to be case by case if it stands any chance of working.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It would never get to 20 years as someones lifetime wouldn't be long enough.

A persons history should give the judge enough leeway to provide maximum sentences with no portion suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

very quick to judge, we don't know what this person's story is, could be struggling with addiction issues or have mental health, it's not hard to see how people end up getting into difficulty! everyone is mad to put people in jail but who has jail ever helped?

• Advertisement

Well in fairness, we might be quick to judge, but he has been judged to have broken the law 105 times (that we know about).

I tell you what, why don't you take care of him when he gets out? You show him the compassion and love that he needs.

And jail might not help him, but for the length of time that prick is in jail, it helps the general law abiding public by having one less dick on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He has literally been helping contribute to addiction issues ...

"He has 105 previous convictions, including convictions for unauthorised taking, theft, possession of drugs for sale or supply and road traffic offences."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Nermal

It does prevent recidivism.

In this case, it would have prevented it 102 times.

That we know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Bleeding hearts can take a running jump, these scum bag types should be locked up from everyone forever

I come from a bad area, myself and my friends all turned out grand because we wanted to better ourselves. We know lots of people who went the other way, some dead now, some locked up. They had the same choice and chance in life as my group of friends.

I'm sick of excuses being made for scum, sick of light sentences. These repeat offenders are dangerous, the very type who'll rob and attack(or worse) old people, women and those they see as easy target's.

Knee-capping and baseball bats is too good for them. The bleeding hearts will feel the same way if they ever find themselves giving a victim impact statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Try this one,

Kill a guard on duty and get 7 years and back in Court again for trying it a second time.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-who-killed-garda-when-he-ploughed-stolen-vehicle-into-his-patrol-car-admits-endangering-the-life-of-another-garda-41326124.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think around conviction #10 (or let's say 20 for you bleeding hearts) any person can be safely deemed to be beyond reeducation and unable to live by the rules of this society hence they should be permanently removed from the society by whatever means.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

They do say people normally change for the better after their 105th criminal conviction. Thank god this guy will now be at the end of his criminal career.. phew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭mayota

These scum must have committed thousands of crimes to have 80/90/100 convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think the Gardai need to cop-on... i am going to seize the car but i will leave the keys in the ignition... father ted stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

He had the keys on him. Read the article. But sure the Garda deserved it according to you.

Jervis then claimed he wanted to remove items from the Audi, got inside the car and turned it on

Well i know if the Gardai were in the process of seizing a car how did the criminal have the keys... What criminals say and what they want can be different and i expect the Gardai should know already... this is what i said...

You are the one who said the Gardai deserve whatever according to you not me... do not twist things...

I

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was assulted 3 times in my near 10 years, and not one of those 3 ever saw the inside of a courtroom (for those). There's a very specific piece of legislation for dealing with assaults on a "peace officer" (a member of the Garda Síochána, a prison officer or a member of the Defence Forces), Section 19 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994. Here's the offence:

19.—(1) Any person who—

(a) assaults a peace officer acting in the execution of the peace officer's duty, knowing that he is, or being reckless as to whether he is, a peace officer acting in the execution of his duty, or

(b) assaults any other person acting in the aid of a peace officer, or

(c) assaults any other person with intent to resist or prevent the lawful apprehension or detention of himself or any other person for any offence,

shall be guilty of an offence.

And now the liability of the offence:

(a) having elected for summary disposal of the offence, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months, or to both,

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both.

I was never aware of any person brought up on that charge for the 10 years I was a Garda. Not once. Never. It happened in other Divisions, but not where I was. It'd like the actively avoid using it. If McEntee and Harris want the backing of the force, they need to ensure this is enforced in every single interaction where it's applicable. Someone who doesn't admit and let's it go to court should be guaranteed prison time. But it doesn't happen. The judges fall for their stupid excuses every single time. It was hard back then to not shout at the prick from the back of the court, no doubt he would have put me in prison to prove how awesome and in control he was. Cnuts.

Sec 19 s being used a bit more now but because it is has to be directed on by the DPP and can lead to costly circuit court trials it is rarely used. Gardai getting hurt is the cost of doing business for management and politicians.

Generally its just a section 2 or 3 Assault and even then .....

Wicklow man who bit garda’s finger and broke bone during courtroom struggle avoids jail for second time - Independent.ie

Scrambling to turn AGS into some soft of leftist warm and fuzzy social worker group is continuing at pace and only suits criminals.

Imagen having the colour of your new uniform dictated by ICCL who complained that navy or back shirts and combats looked too aggressive. or having cuffs baton and pepper spray visible and accessible was intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

"During Power's sentence hearing, Gda Devereux said he feared his attacker had bitten his finger off and he had never felt pain like it.

The garda also told the court he heard his own finger snap during the attack."

What a little tramp, and doing that IN THE COURT. I assume if he attacked the judge he'd have been banged up instantly and it wouldn't be suspended. The guards though are expendable. Thats ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Who cares, it will protect the citizens…don’t care what his story is, why don’t you say that for a murderer or rapists? Sure do away with jail so.

if it doesn’t work as a protective measure and a deterrent then nothing will…fella with that many convictions hasn’t learned their lesson, should have been minimum 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭animalinside

Is it just me or does there come a point where it stops just being totally abhorrent and despicable, and starts to become a weird kind of almost.... "impressive"?!

I mean if you think of how impressive it is for a researcher getting 200 published articles or a player getting 200 caps - it's not just what they do, it's the sheer prolificness of it, the tenacity, the longevity of it. Only difference is this time it's with convictions.

I wonder also about the spacing out of the convictions. Like would it be getting one or two every few days, or would weeks go by with no convictions at all and then a ton together? Would they get extra convictions while in prison or would that be too much for even them to pull off? Fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

105 convictions, how many crimes did he commit to be caught this many times. His life must be a non stop crime spree. We need to cop on as a country and start punishing these people properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭jmreire

1994,,, way past the time to update these Laws.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For some of the convictions it is probably multiple convictions per court case.

How would a Gardai allow his finger in mouth of suspect... details not reported but cannot see this happen except in serious incident not reported in media....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

If I'm walking down the street and some thug punches me, I'd like him to get 3 months, no arguments.

If same thug punches a Garda, 12 months, no arguments.

you think he is really a innocent man being frame by a vast police and press conspiracy involving a judge to ?

daft or what

• Advertisement

I have absolutely no problem with the sentence but wonder why the Gardai ended up getting finger bitten...

I think everyone commits any assault on any person get at least a Month.... I'm not sure i agree with more for Gardai as they know what they sign up for when they join... for me law applied equally for all...

Advertisement