Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conversations With Friends - BBC 3 & Hulu.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Im apprehensive about it. I tried watching Normal People and could not get emotionally invested in the charachters. The deliberate arkwardness of them was intended to be cute but it bored me senseless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,484 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I liked the normal people TV show but then again I liked the book. The book version of this wasn't so good imo....

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Hmm, I know it’s more of a sneak peak than a trailer, but it didn’t exactly wow me!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

It was just four people staring at each other across a room in public and private places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I wasn’t particularly blown away by Normal People as a novel. However, I thought the TV show elevated the source material.

I don’t believe that’s possible with this book. Conversations with friends has four extremely dislikable protagonists, who do nothing but have tedious, repetitive interactions with one another, most of which are self-absorbed and introspective. It would take a miracle worker to craft this dirge into something watchable.

I may end up eating my words, but I can’t see this being enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The fact they've gone virtually all style over any kind of substance in the trailer isn't a great sign.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Much riding in it?

Alison Oliver seems very familiar.

This series is the only thing on her IMDB and I think she has only ever been on stage before this. So I could not have seen her in anything before but I feel like it is more that she reminds me of someone.

I have no idea though if it is someone famous or just someone I used to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭AJB39

RTÉ will air it as well.

She looks a bit like Marcella Plunkett, who was in Bachelor’s Walk in the early ‘00s. That was my first impression.

That is very woman thanks.

I never saw Bachelor’s Walk (thought that the the 90s though) but Plunkett is in loads. I Google for videos and the first clip in her showreel shows she is one.

She was in Single-Handed too.

Well good luck to the girl. The story isn’t my cup of tea but hopefully it is a career launcher for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,484 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

Just more gratuitous shagging by extremely physically attractive people by the looks of it. Can't understand why these shows get so much praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Y, more tripe like Normal People.

“I have this impulse, to be available to you, all the time.”

Do human people say stuff like this? 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Like the ‘normal people’ in her other book? 😏

There are no normal people in Sally Rooney's books (or the TV series's that follow them).

They are all beautiful and perfect having beautiful,perfect sex.

Why don't they have ugly people as the lead actors in them? Because nobody would watch them of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Do all beautiful people say everything in hushed voices for dramatic effect?

Mary(whispers): I want... I want... you ... you [she sighs]

John (whispers back): Go on ... you ... you ... want me to ...

Mary (sighing): to wash ... the fupan dishes..

John (angerily): YOU FAT SMELLY COW!

Mary : YOU HAVE A FACE LIKE A PAIR OF TITS!

John: Well at least we have one pair between us!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Did anyone watch the first couple of episodes on BBC3 tonight? I just finished the book recently, and enjoyed it, but so far this isn’t working for me the way the Normal People adaptation did. Very slow moving- I was surprised to see it’s 12 episodes, in my opinion, 6-8 would have sufficed. There’s been no real buildup to the Nick Frances kiss, and the actors don’t have the same chemistry that Paul Mescal and Daisy Edgar Jones did.

Bobbi is annoying, but she’s annoying initially in the book too. Frances is how I pictured her, and the actress is doing a good job. Nick is pretty monosyllabic and dull so far. Jemima Kirke is perfect as Melissa.

But… it lacks something. It’s less than the sum of its parts. I’ll keep watching, as it’s pretty and stylish, but it’s not going to be a zeitgeisty moment like Normal People was, I think that’s pretty clear.

Not familiar with the source but the story and characters I had little interest in. It's very slow and while well shot as expected makes Dublin look like a suburb of London. We watched 6 episodes.

Was thinking about it more today, so probably a good sign.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

BBC three coming to Sky Ireland tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

More filth lol, Joe's liveline will be hopping again.

Fifty Shades of s###e

• Advertisement

Reviews generally negative. Another pass for me.

Advertisement