Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling app: rouvy, zwift etc how to choose?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Thanks, can it work on a phone like the other apps?

Yes, their application is available on iOS, android, Windows, Mac and Apple TV.

Although it does look best on a bigger screen if you can have it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

This is Fulgaz on a 32" screen. Like others I'm no expert either but I enjoy it. That said, I've never tried any others so perhaps take advantage of free trials.

The glare is from the window behind me and the blur is 'bike' movement.

Apologies but I have no idea how to straighten the photo on this site.

Ive had to stick the trainer and bike out in the shed so i can leave it set up. Anyway, there are a few decent apps, ill give fulgaz a go tomorrow. The beginner programme requires 5 to 7 hours of cycling a week. With kickboxing twice a week for two hours per night i would struggle 5 to 7 hours on a trainer too. Ill fugure it out.

Tried to get fulgaz going this morning off the mobile data on my phone. Wifi does not reach to the shed. Anyway, it wouldn't work so i went back to rouvy and done a 10 miler in japan for 30 mins. Im leaning more towards rouvy as i use the trainer.

• Advertisement

I don't rate the training plans on Fulgaz, it's a bit complicated but maybe you could consider giving Xert a try and it uses an adaptive training plan that takes into account your fitness.

Secondly Fulgaz works best when you download the video in advance and then run it.

I was looking at a monthly subscription for rouvy through the app on google play. Its coming in at €17 per month yet when you sign in through google its €12 per month. I really lile rouvy but i don't think i can access the full features on a phone, ill need a laptop. Ive left my work laptop in work so i might have to buy one or a tablet to get the most out of the apps.

Im going to get a tablet. I presume i need a tablet with Bluetooth and do i need ant+?

Has anyone any recommendations for a cheap tablet that can run swift, rouvy etc please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

Get and apple TV 4K and a cheap TV/Monitor, it's a very easy to use combination and I have no other apple devices. I've run Rouvy and RGT on mine and going to try Fulgaz in the new year.

One other thing I'd suggest, try not to pick a do it all app, keep the entertainment and training aspects separate unless you just want to watch Netflix or similar while you do your intervals, one that uses data from your outdoor rides is a must for me anyway, I use Xert for that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I only use Zwift for the 20-30 minute workouts in ERG mode, nothing else. It's expensive for how little I use it and the alternatives seem to need a PC which I don't use due to extra heat, plus more power consumption. I just learned I can use my new Edge 530 to control my Kickr Core in ERG mode so I used the What's On Zwift website to copy the Emily's Short Mix template onto a workout on Garmin Connect.

All going to plan I can cancel my Zwift subscription and just use my Garmin. No PC, no TV. The Zwift mobile app has 25km free per month which I can use for the FTP ramp test then I can update my Garmin template as needed.

A bit off topic in regards to picking a cycling app but for anyone looking for basic workouts with a trainer, I found getting answers was hit and miss once you start to look away from Zwift and don't want to use a PC.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I went AppleTV for zwift, and certainly the easiest, but does need wifi/ ethernet reach. Not sure how it'd work tethered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

I can't see how it would be much different than a tablet tethered, but if someone is serious about a winter season training the bit of effort to get decent internet in the cave has to be well worth it, there are so many reasonably priced ways of doing it nowadays.

Bought that today for 200 and the wifi reaches to the shed no problem which is weird cause my 600 quid phone cant pick up the signal. Ill see how i get on with it. Ive seen a few people on the rouvy Facebook page have issues with apple compatability but i dont have the money for anything like that in anyway. In the last month Ive spent 150 on a bike fit, 600 on a turbo trainer and then another 200 on a tablet and i still need a tablet holder. Cycling is an expensive sport if you want to get properly into it.

The tablet is working perfect. Not bad for 200 quid. Rouvy runs super smooth. I tried the tacx training app on a course. It was not realistic at all really. I was going up hills but they were not tough, far too easy. Tried rouvy and its much more natural. Rouvy it is so for now. Zwift do have some good training plans so ill keep my free month subscription in case i get bored of rouvy. Also, i found a lovely tablet holder that cost me nothing.

Ive cancelled rouvy, it was good until they started adding coins to it. Feels like you're in a game of Mario. Plus its 15 quid.

Have gone back to tacx training app for €10. Its actually fine with really nice videos. I think if the app senses you are struggling, it makes it a bit easier which threw me off when initially using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

I've tried them all from Bkool to Fulgaz and everything in between but Zwift is by far my favourite. Love the group rides and races element of it all etc. Often just log on and follow a Pace Partner for an hour or spend an hour going up Alpe du Zwift.

I use it for running also on my treadmill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I tried Zwift again at the weekend myself. That it feels busy is the best thing for it. I think RGT cycling offers a better "cycling experience" though for half the price. It needs a couple of longer courses though that offer a bit of everything. Now Magicroads helps with that, but you're generally the only person on.

Rouvy got caught out for stealing videos from Biketheworld a few weeks ago and passing off the courses as their own. Bike the world is excellent, and can be done offline after you've downloaded the vids which is good. Good for just pedalling away to while listening to a Podcast or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I'm using Zwift continually since Christmas. I'm liking it more than I did previously but the routes available are a bit limited. I'm sure there's a way of exploring all of their courses. I'm going to do a lot of research over the weekend and explore the different options and features available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

TrainerRoad now have AI FTP Detection. I'm personally looking forward to never testing again!

Post edited by Macy0161 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭MangleBadger

ZwiftInsider has a good description of each routes available on each world. I've just gotten back into Zwift and pick a route that interests me for the day.

One thing I don't like about Zwift is the elevation map, very hard to see what is coming up. Would love an integration between the KOMs and Strave live segments so you can see how you are going compared to friends

I hate aimlessly riding around on Zwift as I find even an hour is interminable, but if I do one of the decent workouts they have then time flies and you get great bang for your buck. By that token, I'm not sure I'm using many of the features as when you are doing a workout I don't look at anything other than the wattage required. I might look into TrainerRoad as the workouts do look much better. So many of the workouts on Zwift are all over the place and needlessly complicated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There used to be a way of just changing a line in a data file or something and have it default on your preferred world.

One of best things about rgt is magicroads and the endless types of routes you can do. Limited workout options though, and I've no idea how to change the map you do them on anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭barleyman

Agree with this, i use Defender which is now Wahoo Systm for training and the free RGT (now works off a single device) for longer endurance stuff and the odd race.

RGT getting a lot better, have really started building a community with more and more events that can all be accessed with the free version.

RGTDb

For training i really like Defender , the music and the videos are all choreographed and really do make a difference when suffering. Also, I really detest erg mode, find it hard to get cadence nailed, and do all my training on level mode which Defender also supports

I basically pick a ride that last an hour and go on that. I dont bother taking notice with ftp or measuring cadence as i haven't got a clue what they are really. Im back kickboxing 90 mintues twice per week so i can only get one cycle in on the trainer per week now so an hour is enough. I would get bored on it any longer in anyway. Tomorrow, im getting the winter gear on and going for a real cycle. Looking forward to it.

Advertisement