Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Not only that but in kierans you then see new players who have been approached coming into the school in 5th and 6th year making it even harder for that young player to get onto the A panel and get some schools hurling. In fairness to CBS they don't get involved in any of that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

How many students do you think go to Kierans?

250 in first year? Are you mad?

Only 115 did the leaving there last year. Must be some drop out Rate..

The B teams of kierans and cbs could maybe enter a vocational school completion with the other schools in kk. An internal kk competition maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

There's enough schools in Kilkenny to create a few regional schools teams in the county. According to the secondary school registry, the following schools have the following number of boys.

Ballyhale – 117 boys

Gaelscoil – 137 boys

Callan – 298 boys

Castlecomer – 327 boys

Kilkenny College – 468 boys

Graiguenamanagh – 77 boys

Johnstown – 353 boys

Thomastown – 191 boys

Mooncoin – 96 boys

Kilkenny Tech – 144 boys

St Kierans – 767 boys

CBS – 801 boys

Abbey Community College (Half Kilkenny, half Waterford, run by Kilkenny VEC) – 550 boys

You could reasonably create 4 different regional schools teams to play Kieran's and the CBS in a Kilkenny league. Say for example Ballyhale, Mooncoin and Abbey College make up South Kilkenny, Jojhnstown & Castlecomer would make up North Kilkenny, Thomastown along with Graiguenamanagh & Kilkenny College would make up East Kilkenny and Callan, The Gaelscoil and Kilkenny Tech could make up West Kilkenny. Hell, if you needed to make the most of it you could invite the likes of Good Council and the Carrick on-Suir schools that would have quite a few pupils from Kilkenny in them if you wanted.

There'd be serious logistical problems alright, and the schools would have to buy into it, but where there's a will there's a way.

Probably highly unlikely, but it could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

AFAIK Ballyhale, Gaelscoil, Graiguenamanagh and Kilkenny Tech already come together to form a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

A bit of research shows that the Callan CBS team of 1983 won an All Ireland B title with 180 boys on roll. Admittedly this team had Bosco Bryan, John Power and a smattering of good club hurlers.

They won Leinster A about 8 years later with maybe 220 on roll.

Back in the day schools with 200 to 300 boys competed well in the old colleges A & B. Part of that was more players getting decent competition. Nowadays we have less than half the numberr of players in KK getting good second level competition in comparison with 40 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

So the average year size in Kieran's is 127.8 students when I was in first year in the early 90's there was 160 in my year. In my year there were plenty of good hurlers and a few lads joined after Junior Cert, Donnacha Fahy from Tipp joined our year and should have been a Tipp staple but fell by the wayside was a fabulous hurler. The best lad wasn't that great in school but turned out to be a King when he left. Other than that there was a lot of good club hurlers and a few bright lights at underage with Kilkenny but no real standouts in our year. We also had boarders in my time so there were lads able to come from further afield. Still I can't remember too many lads from further south than Ballyhale Carrickshock or Kilmoganny. A few from Thomastown and the Bridge. Plenty from Freshford, Tullaroan and Ballycallan and a few from Urlingford and Lisdowney most were from town, OLG, Boro and of course the Village. Add in less than 20 boarders from further a field but most from Co Kilkenny. There was plenty of talent before and after my year but there wasn't any great concentration of talent in Kieran's for that age group. The problem is that guys want to try and have a Colleges medal on their hurling CV and their best chance is Kieran's so their a victim of their own success and it does seem to be impacting Kilkenny to a minor degree but that is not Kieran's fault. It is the County boards fault for leaving the rest of the school's behind and our underage structures in rag order. Hopefully Dempseys review and implementation of the recommendations can get us back on the right track.

This is a problem going back to the 50's and 60's however when you had the likes of Eddie Keher from Inistioge John Alley from Durrow, Pat Carroll from Lisdowney and I'm sure many more that won't come to me just now all hurling in Kieran's. DJ and Pat Nail in the late 80's. The best hurlers have for a longtime gravitated to Kieran's perhaps the issue is more lads now seem to have an over inflated view of their abilities and they think they can do well in Kieran's cause their the star player in a small country club. Some can but most won't. If they want to measure themselves against the best you cannot stop them but it doesn't mean they'll succeed most won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I was the year ahead of donnacha fahy..was a great corner back and strong as a bull

My year had the king after junior cert as he skipped transition year..willie maher was another that could have been a star if he hadn't injured his eye

My year also had mick kavanagh who was excellent..also 2 lads that could not even make the kierans panel called Eddie brennan and Derek Lyng

Another lad called gorta who was only interested in soccer at the time..not a bad year..Needless to say I didn't get near the panel. Pat tennyson was another of that vintage..maybe a year behind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Didn't a kierans team get beaten in the early naughties in leinster with the likes of Tommy, Jackie, Brian Carroll of offally, Mick Rice, Ken Coogan, Brian Dowling and a few more .

Again beaten by a Dublin colleges amalgamation..

Let's not panic.... until they get beaten by cbs.. :)

Yeah Henry and Paul were in my classes for the first 3 years then Henry skipped transition year and Paul didn't, like myself. We had the likes of Aidan Cummins and Paul Shefflin obviously, Pat Tennyson aswell he was/is a hardy buck, I'll never forget the day he wouldn't back down from a huge sixth year, we were only in first or second year. Pat told him he'd see him on the main pitch (The Fr Tommy Maher pitch now) at lunchtime, Pat would have been giving your man a foot at least in height and fair bit in weight too but he tore into him and beat the tar out of him fairly quickly. No sixth year bothered Pat after that.

Yeah Derek Lyng, Gorta, Kav and Eddie would have been in your year too along with David (Plug) Carroll? Willie Maher should have been a legend for Tipp only for he lost his eye. Was the likes of Bob Aylward in your year too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Bob aylward was .plug Carroll would have been a year ahead with Jimmy Coogan and lad from o loughlins that we have captained minors ..full back sean something? And Joe Young I'd have known

Pat tennyson would never have lacked confidence in fairness 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭KK36

Any idea what the team for Sunday will look like??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I just got the last jersey as a gift at Christmas...assumed it would still be current for the time being, would have thought a new jersey would be released before Christmas.

Either way I miss the old collars on the jerseys. And definitely think our jersey looked better about ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Comerman

You'll upset village with that picture JJ 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Take a blade to his head and its Martin looking back at ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The last half decent jersey we had was 2014.

I’d love to see a return to the full stripes on the sleeves and a collar but that would’ve required a bit of imagination from O’Neills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭brookville

You would expect a mixture of newcomers and experience players. Conor browne is still good bit away but Richie leahy is back on the field training but is a few weeks away. Paddy deegan and conor delaney should be close so could we see deegan in the forwards and delaney at 3?Brassil played his first match in a while during the week and lads like cian kenny are still involved in college so maybe these lads will be left to their college until its over. I suppose we all seen antrim gave us a fright last year at home and they pushed wexford and beat clare early last year

Will he make changes to the spine of the team?Tommy Walsh had an awful day the last day and the full back line was in big trouble .Alot of time invested with lawlor at 3 but he might get another few runs at 6.I wouldn't mind padraig moving up the field if we could find a 6 maybe brassil if he can get fully fit if lawlor was kept at 3. Hopefully shane Walsh can get a few games.

KK v ANT

D Brennan

M Butler C Delaney T Walsh

J Maher H Lawlor D Blanchfield

M Carey P Deegan

J Donnelly P Walsh T Phelan

B Ryan M Keoghan J Bergin

Subs

E Murphy

C Wallace

E Cody

C Heary

C Buckley

M Kenny

S Murphy

W Walsh

T O Dwyer

C Bolger

S Morrissey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

Who'll hit the frees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Good to see Tom Phelan get a chance, interesting that Lawlor seems to be given the chance to bed in at centre back with Padraig pushed up further! Would imagine James Bergin will take the frees. Good to see Matt Kenny back in the squad too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Best of luck to Mooncoin tomorrow.

Congratulations to Mooncoin a great win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭brookville

Great win for them is right. They were probably slightly the better team but a goal near the end from the opposition made it a close finish. Mark Keane was very poor at 6 but when he went full forward he used his strength and caused trouble.Martin o neill was very good at half back and got a great sideline near the end. It was sweet revenge fir mooncoin who lost in 2017 by a point but hats off to both teams a very enjoyable match played in the right manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Martin o neills sideline point and Adam Crokes point off the hurl are as good as you'll see. Congrats Mooncoin!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Heard Freshford have a new manager he was in charge of Durrow last year Kevin Deggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Kierans was a boarding school lads like Nicky Rackard, Ekelly others learnt there trade there . Kierans did not win a college final from 1976 to 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Well done Mooncoin on a great win in what was apparently a really exciting and high standard match. Whatever we say about inter county no one can argue that our clubs at all levels aren't a credit to the county year in year out.

Also, a fairytale win for Tulla in Harty Cup, taking out hot favourites Ard Scoil Ris Limerick. A great win considering they had never previously even won a match in this competition up till this year, and also given Clare minors were beaten in minor championship last year by 40 points.

I think winners of Kierans v CBS (Tuesday afternoon in Park) will play Gort in quarters and winners of that play Tulla in semi.

Good Counsel will have a tough semi versus winners of Pres Athenry and ASR.

Loreto beaten in AI semi by Pres Athenry via a 45's shoot out. I feel deciding a schools AI semi final by this method is cruel and unnecessary, this match could easily have been replayed midweek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Well done Mooncoin.

KK have some amount of junior all Ireland’s

Advertisement