Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brookville

Also well done to Tom mullally today.He has some record and can't understand why he isn't snapped up here. He has had major success with club teams winning County finals and club Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

Is it too late to buy a season ticket? I've been out of the country for the last 2 weeks and completely forgot to buy one untill this morning. When I logged into the portal it said that none were available? I would have thought that with the switch to online over card that this would not have been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭kksaints

Dreadful first half until the late goal. Some horrendous wides from us. James Maher in the half back line didn't work so far. Conor Delaney went off injured after 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Would have to say that's one of the worst 35mins of hurling I've seen from a Kilkenny team in a long time. I the conditions are tough but this is really hard to watch. The few who have played well are Lawlor, Blanchfield, Donnelly and Bergin(except the frees). Very tough conditions but these lads have all hurled in worse I'm sure. Little evidence of a game plan of any substance. 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully the second half is a little better. The pitch is in an awful state compared to how they usually have it.

Game play seems to consist of diagonal passes regardless of location on pitch or where the opposition defenders are. I will say the Lawlor has played well in the backline but the forwards have not been good.

• Advertisement

Worrying performance today. We played well for about 25 minutes out if 70 and that was enough. Too many poor wides from our forwards, Donnelly and Phelan won a fair amount of ball but didn't do much with it. Billy Ryan was completely anonymous in the first half, made a bit more of an impact in the 2nd before he was subbed. While Padraig Walsh scored a few points, I'd prefer him in the half backline as the game passed him by somewhat. Keoghan did well at times but hit some bad wides. But our use of the ball is so predictable, every pass seems to be a diagonal ball. In the last 20 minutes Antrim realised that and kept a player back who scooped up most of the ball. We really need to develop more of a running game at times to keep the opposition guessing. It was far too predictable.

In the backline Huw Lawlor and Blanchfield (except for his shooting) did well but Antrim got way too many goal chances in the second half and that third goal for them was appalling. How could you leave a team with 14 men so much space in the full backline? At times Antrim could run through the backline at will. James Maher in the halfback line didn't work and that experiment should be scrapped.Conor Delaney getting injured also wasn't good.

Need to be much better next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭mullinr2

What do we expect when we only create two players of note in the last 5 to 7 years. They are Eoin Cody and Andrian Mullen. Eoin Cody in particular. He'll be a real leader once TJ goes. Yeah we got to minor all Ireland finals, but they have been bang average teams who are even more bang average at u20

Hard to disagree with whats being said. We tried to work the ball out but seem to be doing it for the sake of it and the delivery in is terrible. I think we desperately need a proper coach in the setup.We presisted in the second half going to Billy Ryan's corner but he drove a few terrible wides. Its the first day out so I won't be too hard on lads,conditions were poor and low scoring it was the same in wexford Park.This league will no doubt be up and down as we seen wexford absolutely horrific last week and get a win today.Darren brennan who is usually a very confident goalie looked nervous and was definitely poor for a goal or two. Thought Tom phelan tried hard he has a good hand and mossy is after filling out a good bit but hard to see him being a full forward. We'll see a few changes next week and I'd expect a better performance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Grats

There's little point in being too critical of the players when there's no worthwhile game plan in place - as in previous years. If the manager isn't fully committed to playing through the lines, defending with numbers when required, etc, well the players can hardly be committed either. We badly need a top class coach and for the manager to hand over responsibility to that coach.

By the way, my thoughts are not based on today's performance. We're in for more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭davidx40

It's going to be a hard watch for the year that's for sure , to many names that have been tried and tried .....

• Advertisement

Is Michael cody gone off the panel? Huw done nothing wrong today but we're after investing a few years In him now we probably need him back full back. This league will be a mixed bag for alot of teams with the championship coming fast down the tracks managers won't loose sleep over matches but from our perspective we'd like to see some kinda gameplan and today even the diagonal ball going in was poor granted conditions were terrible but I just got the feeling we were going short for the sake of it and then just run out of ideas.i think 8 of today's team started last year against cork so it wasn't all inexperience 7 or 8 points up with ten mins to go at home we should be driving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Perrywink

We are in trouble, Antrim were 15/2 today and that was a big price for a game we all knew would be close.

Agree with previous sentiments we need proper coaching and structure.

Good to see Tom Phelan been given a go after good club campaigns. But I’m wondering what happens with the players who were dropped after Laois Walsh cup game are they given a programme told what they need to do?

We seem to be bringing back players (who have had plenty of chances) who were previously dropped and they still aren’t up to it.

My own club has even got some players back in who were shown to not be up to it!

Players like Michael Cody have hardly got a chance no one can tell me he isn’t better than some of our backs.

I take in plenty of club games and players like Paul Holden has been excellent for Gowran and he gets a Walsh cup game and gone but we’ve Sean Morrissey back again.

The new game is about tracking back the 2020 intermediate final Lisdowney had a player no 12 (can’t remember name) he ran back and won the ball back at least 12 times now he looked like a back or midfielder but that kind of player seemed coached to win breaks get by tackles and deliver to his shooters.

And on that how come we can’t give those players a trial they won a championship with no kk panel member and have shown they can mix it senior they have 4-5 players worth a trial at least.

Even thinking of Brian Kennedy he was dropped too early he was a great corner back but was dropped and Conor O Shea kept on someone who was never going to make it.

Some of the u20s should be told you need to follow this programme and get bigger and by 22 or 23 they will be ready I’m thinking of Billy Drennan here a great talent who just needs to build himself up.

I seriously believe if we got in Henry or Eddie the panel would be changed a bit anyway. Henry in Galway has introduced plenty of new names and not just lads that were minors or u21s.

We are going no where with this set up in my opinion it’s gone stale. We can add a new coach etc but wholesale changes are needed.

Long post but I travelled into that match with my brother in law and we both couldn’t shake the negativity from this game and the Laois game.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

It is admittedly early days but it is difficult to be in any way positive after a shambles like today. We look to be miles behind a lot of other teams in terms of physical condition, tactical awareness and gameplan (or lack thereof). The doom and gloom that has ascended the county appears well justified unfortunately.

The only emerging player who impressed me today was David Blanchfield. Tom Phelan worked hard but appears too light for this level and would be blown away physically by any top tier team.

What players were dropped after the Walsh Cup? Some of these players did well in the limited game time they were afforded and now they have been cast aside. In fairness this is true to form for Cody - this has always been the way with the WC panel. Which ominously suggests nothing has changed and that he is doing things in the same old way he has always done.

Speaking to someone with close ties to the panel over the weekend the mood isn't great. They are actually quite happy with the S&C side of things but there is open comment on the staleness and lack of ideas within the setup.

We have reached the last 4 Leinster Finals but it is difficult to see that happening this year with Wexford, Galway and Dublin all looking strong and capable. Allied to Shefflins treachery this could turn out to be one long awful slog of a year.

We heard of all kinds of stories about unhappiness in the camp last year yet most of the players and selectors are back for more of the same! If they're not happy, get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭jimmythesulk

We are lucky we are in Leinster and not Munster. We should surely be able to beat one of Wexford or Dublin and come in the top 3. If we were in Munster I wouldn't be so confident.

I think the rest of the squad trained yesterday morning so I presume the lads who done well the first day against Laois are in that group. Lads like luke scanlon,prenderville,Burke etc these lads are still involved. Shane Walsh and Alan Murphy must be injured. I know leahy is nearly back and browne is working hard to get back. It's still a very big panel and if we don't try lads the first week of February we're at nothing. It's being the same the last few years we mightnt have a lad in the squad one week and the following week he'll be starting.cian kenny hurled well the other night for cw so he's involved in college so thats common sense. Lads will be dissapointed with the way they let antrim back into the game in the last ten minutes so they've plenty of work to do.i wouldn't be getting carried away yet I doubt Limerick will be looking for kielys head after the shock defeat yesterday. The same as antrim beat clare this time last year not many remembered by the time they played cork in a quarter final. Antrim were quite decent yesterday just kilkenny were that little cuter at times but gleeson is doing a good job and fair play to him. I do think we need to leave lawlor back at 3 maybe Richie Reid will slot into 6 when he's back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Hi Brook were you at the Carlow game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Village87

Richie Reid is not our answer at centre back. He is slightly lacking pace and physicality at the highest level. He was blown out of it v St Thomas in the club semi final and was switched to wing back. At least we have 2 finds during the first few weeks, David Blanchfield and Cian Kenny. The regulars are getting shown up again is the only issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Aside from Cian Kenny and David Blanchfield impressing already Shane Walsh was our best player v Laois in Callan.

I know 1st day out and all that and he was on the frees but his speed, determination and 1st touch were very good.

We were poor in the full back line yesterday. Conor Delaney going off early didn't help but to be honest i don't think Delaney will be an option full back. Doesn't have the same conviction or presence there as Lawlor. We were turned very easily yesterday and couldn't make up the ground. Maybe Im being harsh on Delaney here but that's my opinion. Padraig Walsh not as influential yesterday centre forward, ,maybe better on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Where is Richie Hogan? With TJ out, surely we should be starting him as the playmaker.

If on the other hand he simply isn't fit enough to play full matches, then he needs to retire or Cody needs to tell him it's over. It's as simple as that, I don't think it is fair on one of our greatest ever players to continue to endure the crap he has had to these last few years and get 5 mins here and there (usually when game is already lost).

Agree on Blanchfield and Kenny, and backs options will look a lot better after club final and (touch wood) injuries clear up (Browne, Mullen, Reid and Delaney etc)

The full back line yesterday (after Delaney went off) woule be torn to ribbons by any of the big teams.

A Blanchfield Kenny midfield would be really worth a look and potentially very exciting. Let's face it every other combo (Browne, Leahy, Maher, Buckley, Fogarty etc) has been tried with barely average returns.

I wouldn't lose sleep about only beating Antrim by a few points, but agree with others the depressing aspect is the realisation that it looks like yet more of the same. Favouring dogged limited players almost everywhere rather than at least trying the potential match breakers/playmakers (allied to a better style of play)

Does Cody simply no longer trust players like Hogan? If so, Cian Kenny etc wont be figuring, and will instead be continually overlooked in favour of lads who have never been better than average triers.

One of my favourite compliments thrown Kilkenny's way years ago by Kevin Cashman regarding Kilkenny's willingness to always go for technique and class over brawn "Kilkenny will pick piano tuners, most other counties pick piano movers"

Cody brought fire and physicality to a county that was renowned for it's skill and craft, and ran in to a golden generation of gifted hurlers who blended that hunger and workrate with craft and skill. Now shorne of most of those gifted practitioners, we have reverted to being a team of "piano movers".

Elsewhere, while it will be largely dismissed as early seasson irrelevance, Limerick to me yesterday showed weaknesses and wear and tear that may well manifest over summer.

Chief among them is a suspicion that their panel beyond the starting 15 is not deep. Almost every one of their players that would up till 2021 be their next 5-6 best were tried yestrday, most were barely average, one or two were rubbish. Also very worrying for Limerick that Gillane looks out of form.

I think Kiely recognises his limited options in forwards (Mulcahy looks finished and Peter Casey out for year as well) by persisting with Coughlan at wing back, I assume to allow Kyle Hayes revert to forwards.

Also, when will commentators stop calling Limerick "wasteful"? They are wasteful in shooting almost every time they play. Even on good days they are usually profligate in shooting, but they are usually so on top that it is barely noticed.

Picking up another injury would compound matters, and for me make Limerick far more vulnerable this year than many expect.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Advertisement

Another aspect that will hopefully be addressed is stamina. At times over the last few years we've hurled very well only to blow up after 50 minutes or so. I believe we have the same trainer, he will need to address this.

Henry Shefflin in a bit of a dilemma on Saturday next. Ballyhale game at 3 in Croke Park and his Galway team in Limerick at 7. Tough on him unless he has a helicopter friend.

The county board should have a plan B for club fixtures this year in case Kilkenny are knocked out by May. Although I do expect them to sneak out of Leinster this year it is far from guaranteed. TJ is 35 this year and if he is not 100% Kilkenny are in trouble, and he has been on the go for 18 months without a break.

As for the Richie Hogan comment i agree 100%, i do not see any positive outcome of this. It is obvious they have no faith in each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

What business had richie Hogan slobbering in the wind and rain in February against Antrim..surely at his age he should mind himself until championship. Plenty lads skip most of the league when coming to the end of their career..I would be willing to bet if he had played Saturday lads on here would be saying we know what we have In him and should not be risking injuries and cody should be trying new lads to give them a chance

Richie Hogans relationship with.cody is a different matter and do think it seems to have deteriorated ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

Realistically neither Hogan nor Reid are viable starters as playmakers anymore. Are we really to think that TJ will be better at 11 this year after two dismal performances against Dublin and Cork last year? I would go so far as to say that if TJ hadn`t played against Cork we would have won in normal time. That`s not to say that he wouldn`t still have a role to play with his free taking ability and potential as a target man closer to goal. But we need to look at other options at 11. Maybe we need to be thinking in terms of a workhorse rather than a playmaker there now.

Unfortunately that Cashman quote was of its time and the way the game is played now it is the piano mover that prevails.

Is this comment for real. Although TJ might not be at his peak and did not score much from play , his work rate, ability to win dirty ball, create space for other forwards, his ability to pick correct passes makes him one of the best forwards in the game still even on his 35th year. He is still invaluable to Kilkenny. If I was TJ no way would i come back for another year with Kilkenny.

If Richie Hogan isn't happy with Cody's treatment why the hell is he back for more of the same? He chose to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Richie did a great in depth interview with off the ball a few weeks ago.

Well worth a listen for anyone saying what they think he should do. He's an intelligent guy he can decide for himself when it's time to go.

They will be retired long enough..

As for the comments on the style of play did you stick your head out the door and see the weather yesterday?

Even limericks style which everyone is lauding broke down.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Some lads letting their anti-Cody bias get in the way of actually analysing the game yesterday. I do think he should have gone this year but he's here for another year at least so we have to accept it. Believe it or not there were some positives yesterday. Tom Phelan and David Blanchfield did well and hopefully can continue their form. I thought the midfield pairing of Deegan and Carey covered a huge amount of ground and linked the play reasonably well between backs and forwards. We did actually attempt to play ball into the full forward line instead of just lumping it but the delivery wasn't great at times. And when the deliveries were good the touch was poor in the full forward line. The negatives were the full back line, James Maher at wing back and the two corner forwards werent great. If Billy Ryan could get his first touch right he would be a huge handful for any team but it never seems to be consistent. Finally the conditions have to be taken into account and the shooting was tough particularly into the town goal. Also I'm sure as soon as TJ reads this thread he'll know it's not worth bothering playing for Kilkenny this year 😜😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

I don`t like highlighting this stuff because TJ is a legend and owes us nothing. There were 40 minutes of normal time played in the second half of last years semi and a further 22 minutes of extra time. In that time TJ had 6 possessions and scored 1 point from play. None of those possessions were from the winning of dirty ball. Contrast that with Richie Hogan who was on for only 12 minutes and in that time gained 5 possessions and also scored a point. TJ has spent his entire career a marked man like no other, but he can`t be expected to do what he was doing for us indefinitely. Time catches up with everyone in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Would agree with a lot of what you say, the performance wasn’t great but it was the first round of the league and the conditions were awful. Conor Delaney looked very rusty but hopefully he’ll be back soon and given a chance to bed in there, let’s not forget he had a good league there in 2019 and but for injury would have been there for the championship too. David Blanchfield was good and has great potential. The forwards were hit and miss but you get that this time of the year. You could see the backs were trying to work the ball out and play through the lines but the ball in wasn’t always great but hopefully it’s a sign that they’re going to try work the ball up a bit better this year.

Advertisement