Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Gigabox - Unable to change WiFi channel (SuperWiFi)

Options
  • 22-08-2021 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Vodafone have updated their Android Gigabox App with a new feature called "Super-Wifi".

In the app you cannot change the WiFi channel, it's a dumbed down app with very little options and no expert mode.

If you try to change the channel via the web UI on browser (192.168.1.1) the page briefly loads up the channel change option (for like half a second) and then hides the drop down and says "Super Wi-Fi is running your Wi-Fi settings. Please use the Super Wi-Fi tile in the Vodafone Broadband App to manage your settings."

The "Super-Wifi tile in the app is just a tile for buying and configuring WiFi extenders which I don't want to do.

This leads users on an infinite loop of going from app to web interface to try to change the WiFi channel.

Can anyone tell me how to change the WiFi channel on the updated modem (version info & error screenshot below)?

Vodafone Gigabox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

For anyone else out there with the same issue, just called Vodafone support and incredibly it's by design you cannot change the WiFi channel post router firmware update.

Instead you can pay extra per month to rent out "Vodafone Super WiFi" plugs!

Note this affects other areas of the router config like MAC address filtering, it's all locked down.

Vodafone don't want to let you configure your router and instead want you to fork out a fiver a month for their SuperWiFi plugs.

I have a lot of neighbours using the same default WiFi channel and it causes interference\drops.

In the past I simply changed the WiFi to a less busy channel and it worked around the random network drops. Now I cannot do this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭butwhynot

If you have an android phone you can install an older version of the Gigabox App (4.4.1 or older).

It will let you split the SSIDs and change the Wifi bands, but it doesn't let you pick a band higher than 48.

Thx a mil, v 4.4.1 of the app did the trick.

It's removed the Super Wi-Fi rubbish and has allowed me to select channels again.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Anyone have a link to the app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kodi

OMG. Thank you so much for this. The old app works!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wishbone

Thanks for that suggestion! I had lost my 5G SSID by accidentally (out of curiosity) selecting to turn on SuperWifi. I tried a factory reset but no good. I found my old iPhone and unbelievably it allowed me to split the band, so now I have the two again! Thanks so much for the suggestion, I would never have thought of it. Other options are not available on my newer iphone ie Channel Selection but at least I've the two SSIDs again - saves me reconfiguring some connected devices.

Wishbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Brilliant advice, they turned their so called superwifi on to try improve mine, then told me it could not be turned off and proceeded with the sales pitch, they are some shower of c##ts.Back to normal now, but leaving them the minute the contract expires, I detest this type of sneaky underhand methods of squeezing money out of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kodi

No, don't leave them the minute the contract expires. You have give them 30 day notice now and switching to i.e. Pure takes at least 2 weeks, EIR said they can switch the same day - which is not true and they recommending giving them a shout about a month before your contract ends - however they are also allowing to cover part of your cancellation fee (up to 200€), but I never tested that.

I would also recommend to start looking for aftermarket router. Most of the default ISPs are locked tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

uff. Am hitting the same issue. My Sonos speakers aren't working due to interference from neighbours. When that happens, I simply switch the chanel, but now of course I can't do that! Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I got myself a sonos boost a while ago as I was not getting reliable performance on wifi and have not looked back.

If you have multiple speakers and bars it's worth the investment, especially if you have local content.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lowrisk

Hey, my friend had the same issue with his Vodafone gigabox but I found a easy way to enable split wifi.

1. you right click next to broadcast SSID and click "inspect element" (that's for a Mac/Safari but it's about the same for chrome and etc..)

you will see something like "h3-content split_ssid no-padding-bottom" style="Display: disabled;"

change "disabled" to "Enable" and then split wifi should be enable again (until you refresh the page)

Post edited by lowrisk on

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Does anyone know if you can turn off the 5ghz wi fi signal on the gigabox as it is blocking some of my devices on 2 4ghz. Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

I sorted it with old software.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 frenchie091

Just wondering if you've had any more joy with poking around in the web page to try to enable some of the settings hidden by the superwifi setting? Poking around the developer console I see there's a javascript object called super_wifi_mode wth value "Active". Maybe could use the console to turn this to Inactive or something and trigger a reload somehow without retrieving settings from the server again? I'm not a frontend dev so not sure how to do this, or if it's even possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

Hi

Having same issue here in the office. Moved to Vodafone in December and had a load of meross smart plugs set up. Didn't touch them and they continued working with the new router. One disconnected last week and won't reconnect. I brought a plug in from home to see if it was the router or plug and same issue. Used the above suggestions and installed gigabox 4.4.1. Have selected split and it now seems to have both 2.4 and 5 ghz. Should I be able to turn off the 5ghz and how or should I be selecting specific channels? Plug still won't connect, meross network won't connect to the internet. Have everything restarted since splitting the wifi.

I'm not really up on this stuff so if anyone could give any advice I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lowrisk

Sorry I don’t have Vodafone myself, I was just doing that for a friend last time, try to play around with the page, I’m not a dev myself but I often unlock a lot of stuff and button by charging « false » with « true » or « hidden » with « displayed » or « enable »

anyway sorry I couldn’t be more helpfully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

Thanks. Used to be a dev myself but quite a few years ago now and not in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

You absolute legend, this worked no problem. Such a stupid issue to have, my house alarm WiFi is tied to our old Virgin media details and I can't change it without getting the engineer back out to change it, simple solution is to rename the 2.4Ghz network and password. Our Roomba 960 can only use 2.4GHz. Got a new Vodafone box today when starting a new contract he had to switch out all the gear we had from the previous year. I have to return the old gear to a shop myself because they don't even supply a free post label!

This is up there with having to get Virgin to enable IPv4. Realistically most people won't be messing around with this stuff. Next thing you know they'll disable port forwarding...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Nint3ndo64Eire

Hey everyone,

I'm having major issues with my 2.4 devices being cut off as I'm not able to split the signals. The older app APK trick doesn't seem to work now so I've no way to split it anymore. This is very frustrating, anyone know a way round this? Much appreciated!

I had the same problem. I've added an old router to my network with only 2.4ghz enabled to get my Sonos to work.

Eventually, I replaced Gigabox with my own Assus router and now everything works well. Not sure why Vodafone app disables the ability to choose channel. Nice to see that this can be switched on with a HTML hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pedro.prado

Hey, I just found out a cleaner hack:

If you factory reset the router, upon login it will warn you that you're using the default WiFi password and you should change it. This message has a "change" button which you can press to go straight to the page to change the WiFi pass.

Turns out, that page where you're taken DOES have split enabled for some reason! So you just enable it there and configure normally.

BTW, I decided to factory reset after both bands did not work after updating the password, for some reason...

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

I switch between Voda and Eir every year their routers are trash. Better off buy a decent router , I needed decent parental controls find the TP link archers very good. One router covers the house and the UI is very fast!.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Which model are you using? I'm with Vodafone and the router is crap and the "Super Wifi" keeps disconnecting from the router. Losing the will to live trying to sort it at this stage

I eventually did the same. I bought an ASUS RT-AX86S and replaced vodafone's router. Thread here with details for anyone interested: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058241308/vodafone-gigabox-set-to-bridge-mode-and-eliminate-double-nat#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭clarecoco

I can feel your pain! I just changed to Vodafone and have a Smartwares wifi camera with an outside light. It can only be set up on 2.5ghz like most smart devices. Because of router change to Vodafone to set-up again it needs 2.4ghz wifi and not 5.0ghz. I tried all those things mentioned in this thread. I searched the Internet and a UK Vodafone user gave me a steer.

I finally was able to set it up by simply going to the end of the Router wifi range. (Apparently 2.4ghz band offers coverage at a longer range but transmits data at slower speeds). I needed to be on 2.4ghz which you will be on at the outer limits of your Vodafone wifi range - for set up.

So I went to furthest part of the house where I have coverage. I then did the set up of the 2.4ghz device. It did set it up!

Once the set up process is gone through and I was able to insert the wifi settings - all now works well. My wifi device is now up and running and after the set up process (on the 2.5ghz coverage area) the wifi connection works perfectly using the normal broadband wifi signal broadcast by the Vodafone router.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Hi - I'm in the same boat where I was with Pure and a FritzBox with dual ssids. I have a lot of 2.4 devices for home auto, and think that because I switch providers (now to Vodafone - with the restricted Gigabox) I should invest in my own wifi router.

@wingnut please let me know which TP link you'd recommend at the moment - my knowledge is limited. I see you have TP Link and I have a TP Link mesh system installed so think that's the way for me. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

You can (if you have access) change dual SSID's on Fritzbox to a single SSID

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

What TP Link mesh system do you have? If its in Access Point mode you may be able to switch to Router mode and use the main unit as a router.

Advertisement