Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Gigabox - Unable to change WiFi channel (SuperWiFi)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I see the WiFi channel setting is also removed from the router configuration, anyone know a way around this? Ridiculous that they have removed these from expert settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The old Android App is your best bet, just ensure you never update it.

Running version 4.4.1 and have full controll, ever so often my config is overwritten remotly but it's a quick restore and all is back to how I want it.

Ah that seems to have done the trick, nice one! Considering most people don't even know how to log into a router, and the fact you have to enable expert settings to see this stuff it's silly that they removed so many options, likely to save themselves the hassle of a few customer calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Anyone have a link to the 4.4.1 APK app,if that option still works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭dunnerc

As above anyone have a link to the APK 4.4.1 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Unfortunately that link brings you to Vodafone Gigabox 4.5.7.1 APK

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Quick google got this, but haven't tried it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2 e.a

The HTML solution works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gerryp2000

I'm having the same Super Wifi issue... I uninstalled myvodafone app and re-started the phone, then tried to install v4.4.1 and immediately the phone popped up with a message to "update to the latest version or cancel" ... very frustrating, I've 3 months of my contract left with vodafone and then I'm off to another isp....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

I used to get those messages, but just declined the updates, turned them off and eventually left vodafone at the earliest opportunity, funnily enough when I was leaving they had all the time and will in the world to resolve the issue.

Unfortunately the options I get are to install or cancel, choosing cancel stops the installation ...buggered.... by the by.. I've just installed the app onto my PC - into Bluestacks 5 and will see if I can get in that way when I get home later🤞

So I managed to do this, but is it possible to turn off 5ghz completely ??

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

💯 This! These are my precise thoughts too. I got it working by finding the 4.4.1 version on apkpure and resetting my repeater. Automatic WPS setup then worked and devices now connect with no problem

Last week my router disabled 2.4GHz by itself for some reason and renamed the 5GHz network to add '5Ghz' to the end of the WiFi name. Thought my internet was down as my Nest and house alarm were showing lost connections but I was able to use the 5GHz with the TV, although it was spotty.

Had to use the old android app to split 2.4GHz again. My house alarm is tied to my old Virgin login so I have to change the Vodafone name and password to that.

I think it's time to shop around for a router. The fact Vodafone don't want you having 2.4GHz is absolutely ridiculous when they're charging the same price for the service. My house alarm, Nest doorbell, Roomba and car charger are all on 2.4GHz.

It also reset my ports so I couldn't access my Plex media server or CCTV remotely! If I was at work I'd lose access to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jcn50

Sorry to bump this old post, I wanted to give the link to the APK here, as the HTML Inspect Element didn't work for me:

http://tinyurl.com/47jprwm4

Enjoy~~

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Eventually got an old device (Wii U) back working by installing v4.4.1 of the app and splitting WIFI. I don't see the 5GHZ option showing up anymore though, it's like I've just switched the router over to 2.4GHZ only. In the app when I go to 5GHZ settings it just says that the network is turned off. Will try figure that out tomorrow!

EDIT

I had indeed switched to router to 2.4GHZ only. When editing the javascript as per hack on previous page, I enabled a dropdown that allows this and selected 2GHZ. I could not find an element that allowed me to split the signal so the app was the only way I could do that. Note, I don't have the signal split anymore but the WiiU is still connected after the initial setup.

Post edited by budgemook on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

You, it cannot be understated, are a legend.

That was such a stupid move from Vodafone to hide that switch.

Using the Dev Tools from the Browser (F12) it now displays

Changing that from none to Enable brought back the switch and you can manage your own network properly again.

You have to do the steps again if you reload the page, but the same steps will enable the switch again. For me, it's much better than downloading an old copy of the App APK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭jj880

Just got gigabox today and had it running for PCVR with Quest 2.

Its pretty good until you want to move any distance from the router and they automatically kick you down to 2.4 with no option to split SSID.

I found this bizarre until reading this thread. No doubt there are people ringing Vodafone getting flogged the extender. Very low carry on.

• Advertisement

Fyi. I downloaded the old version of the app. Split the SSID then downloaded the most recent app version. It now shows both 2.4ghz and 5ghz in the Main wifi section.

That is absolutely miserable from Vodafone. Locking a basic feature to rob people with an upsell. Deary me.

Jaysus. Any idea what caused it? Firmware upgrade?

Im optimizing everything here now the last few hours. If this router randomly gets reset I will move to digiweb as soon as they get wifi 6 fritz!box. They emailed me to say this will happen in next 6 to 12 months.

Apart from the issues in this thread I really like the gigabox. The app is slick even if it should have more settings available and the router itself looks good. It can push a steady 50 mb gaming stream from PC to Quest 2 no problem on 5ghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Natakranta

You are Legendary! Thanks a million!

App installed and connected to my Gigablx. This version doesn't have the "force to buy our subscription service" button, instead it has option to choose channels for 2.4 and for 5Ghz. I wander why 5Ghz has option ou to chanell 48 and dead not show channels form 100 up like my old Netgear Nighthawk router. The upper channels are less busy here, I'd gladly switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

The HTML solution is still working. @lowrisk ..legend stuff. thank you.

Advertisement