Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2022 Irish EV Sales

• 01-02-2022 4:28pm
    Administrators Posts: 347 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: 2021 Irish EV sales.
    Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cannco253

2,714 sales in Jan22 vs 977 in 21 (Electric only) from what I can see. Can't believe the Leaf sales, the 0% is attractive for some.

Ioniq 5 459

Leaf 304

EV6 302

ID.4 258

Niro 170

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I think the big one is diesel sales down to 3rd place, petrol leading by only 500 cars over the self chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lot of people being duped into buying a leaf 40 SVE on 0% PCP. They advertise agressively. I had to stop my dad buying one!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,631 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't understand why anyone would pay €30k for one. Seems very expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭digiman

56 Taycan sold in January is very impressive. Overall EVs definitely on the rise, need the charging infra to pick up at the same pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭innrain

15 years later we are where we back to square 1. Both petrol and diesel lost about 5% to electric.

Lots of prereg taycans for sale at the porsche center. Take these registration numbers with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Considering you can get an MG for not much more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭digiman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

Leaf is a capable car, ideal for city dwellers and the fact they offer 0% finance make it attainable and attractive for those that generally don't buy new cars. second hand market is screwed at the moment so this is worth a look for them.

2 years in and i still have no regrets and make the same choice today. What i want is outta of my price range, leaf met all my requirements except two. Wish the onboard AC charge was better and obviously would prefer CCS fast charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm in an ID4 now but was in a Leaf 40 SVE before that (and L24 before that). Very little wrong with them. They're a fine car and the abuse they get here is way overdone. IMHO anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Well I’d sooner buy a Nissan or Volkswagen rather than those other budget brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Fantana2

Yeah 0% finance, very reliable and no threads pages and pages long of people complaining of a 6 month to one year wait for their new car. PCP being three years long do you really care about the chademo legacy issues? The leaf owner could have only two years left on their PCP by the time someone else’s gets their ID.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Badge snobbery is a very weird thing and in no way reflects the actual quality of the cars.

We don't live in a city, neither does my dad.

I had a leaf 24 and we are currently on our second ioniq28. As a fan of EVs I understand the limitations of a short range car but I couldnt support him buying the betamax EV when chademo is dead and it can't even charge correctly without sizzling itself to early degradation and 1+ hours from 20-80%. Ioniq has similar real world range to the leaf 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

My comments refer to the constant bashing, it is just unreal on here. L40 is a solid car for city/suburb dwellers. Leaf has a market and with 0% offer with availability makes it very attractive. If someone's requirements exceed what the leaf can offer then they should not be looking at it not talking about it and wipe from memory. In the case of your dad yes leaf40 is just not suitable (I don't advocate leaf 60 as if you can afford that then perhaps stretch budget to choose something else).

Also Chademo ain't dead until nissan discontinue the leaf, yes it's no longer a go forward fast charge solution for new cars in Europe but ain't dead yet. So the haters or those that can afford Id4, Tesla's etc that turn their nose at the leaf need to get comfortable at the fact that chademo chargers are here to stay in this country for this decade at least. I rarely need to use them anyways.

As a personal note, I was a hairs breath in choosing ionic but went with the leaf and as said don't regret it. Today possibly would choose again due to the fact of a 0% offer as what I want to get is just out of my price range and the leaf fits my requirements anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I never once fast charged my L40 in 63k km. Haven't done so with the ID4 either. Fast charging issues are not a problem for many buyers. L40 is not without its upsides either - it's significantly quicker off the line than all/most of the newer EVs, the software actually works (unlike VW and potentially EV6), the charge timers work (unlike the VWs - how are these still not working a year later?!) and the comparative hit to range from cold weather is less than VWs anyway. Plus it's got actual buttons for many controls (touchscreens are so bloody unsafe!) and it's cheap to service (seems the Koreans are taking the mickey on this with their EVs).

Don't get me wrong - I'd prefer to be in my ID4 rather than the Leaf - but I do miss some aspects of it! And if your budget is €30k, not €40 - €50k, and you want a new EV now (not 2023) you could do a lot worse! Bonus of 0% finance too apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MuttonDagger

We dont live in a city and have a leaf.

What's a city got to do with it ?

Probably do more KMs (30K) a year than most EV drivers and never use public charging.

The experts here said the kona would kill the leaf, then the niro, then the Id3 & MG but here we are 10+ years on and its still got strong sales.

Just go to show you the boards.ie experts know (most spend their days on here taking about ESB fast chargers the they dont even use).

• Advertisement

The city factor was mentioned by a prior poster. I do 50-60k km per year, slighlty less over the pandemic. I did that one year in a leaf 24 btw too so I'm well versed in fast charger usage. I needed 9 FCP stops on my longest journey in the l24, thankfully charging was free then. Between myself and herself we've had a leaf 24, two ioniq 28s and a tesla model S.

The reason the leaf is still sellling so well is at least in part attributable to ready supply, cheap finance deals, and brand recognition. In terms of drivetrain it is a 2013 car with a frock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MuttonDagger

And another reason is that it suits 95% of peoples day to day driving .

The sales speak for themselves, 2013 drive train or not.

Similar to the Kona in 2019, ready supply availability is the biggest factor. There are more people wanting to buy an EV than there are EVs available for delivery right now. Once better options than the kona came out, the kona sales dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

On the Leaf thing...

1) if you are looking at a brand new 40 kwh Leaf in 2022 - there's a decent chance that rapidgate won't impact on your use. Of course its an issue to bear in mind - but EV newbies doing long trips are likely going to 58 kwh plus battery size to max out thf range.

2) Muxsan are working on CCS retrofit for Nissans. I get the point that most buyers won't know that but still.

3) for a lot of users they will get a usable for their needs family runabout brand new for 30 k.

4) yes you can buy an MG but lots of people want to buy into a brand they are familiar with. Ironically inspite of its failings the Leaf is a long established player in EV market.

5) Its rare these days to hear anyone complaining about rapidgate related issues* inspite of LOADS of these Leafs on the road.

This isn't because rapidgate is fixed but because contrary to popular belief of all us EV nerds - the impact of rapidgate isn't huge for a lot of owners.

*A lot of people don't know what rapidgate is but they don't need to in order to give out about the issues it causes.

Would I buy one - no - but I'm addressing the amazement among some that someone would still buy a Leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

In terms of drivetrain it is a 2013 car with a frock on

Its reliable though. The latest and greatest isnt always the greatest. The EV landscape is littered with drivetrain issues. The Leaf is by and large rock solid, so I wouldnt knock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cannco253

Just because the Leaf has been around for a while doesn't mean anything when it comes to reliability.

Didn't have any luck with our L30, brakes completely failed one day (ABS controller) and was unable to drive it.

After that had a problem with the main battery, so much for the 8yr warranty as Nissan refused to have anything to do with it.

Can happen to any car, just my luck I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Its about public perception really - a buyer will think

"oh they've been making Leafs for years so they should be fine"

Did you get the battery sorted eventually or did you have to sell at a loss with the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Just because the Leaf has been around for a while doesn't mean anything when it comes to reliability.

It was a broad statement. Of course some Leafs have failures. But in general its a very reliable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Did some playing around with the motor stats, here's the EV sales since 2011

Looks like as of today there's over 20,000 EVs on the road, double the number at the end of 2020

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

How long to get to 100,000? Certainly by 2030 I think. 2028 is a possibility if the industry can ramp up production quicker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement