Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2022 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The people who buy new cars do not want to buy small compact budget cars, the people who buy small compact budget cars won't buy new ones. There's going to be a huge gap in the market when you put those two together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Where have all the current second hand small cars from then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Well aren't we chronically short of 2nd hand cars at the moment?

And more to the point I think Liamog was probably referring to more recent phenomena re SUV v compact car. It would be interesting to see where the SUV market share has come from, did it purely replace family saloons or has it also replace some of the more compact budget offerings.

Mostly saloons, some manufacturers are leaving the segment entirely or running down their range.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yes, but the expense of an EV still pushes it outside the small car market, and small cars typically do less miles so it's a slower recuperation of that extra expense.

Certainly a market for small sized cars, but not at the price point EVs can meet it at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well, not at the prices mainstream manufacturers are charging. They'll leave that segment to the budget brand like Dacia

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭eagerv

Very true. I honestly thought at this stage that smaller family EVs would be a lot more popular here. Had everything not gone tits-up it looked as though smaller EVs such as the ID.3 should be selling for around the €28K with a medium size battery, competing directly with the ICE Golf/Focus segment. Instead, of course, manufacturers are concentrating on high profit models. Smaller cars are very popular throughout Europe and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Problem for small compact cars is that they have small batteries and small range. If the compact car has the same range as the bigger cars at compact prices then they would sell easily.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Zoe and Kona have probably the longest ranges out there, Kona deffo

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭eagerv

Not totally true, my 58kWh ID.3 had enough range for many and similar enough to some more expensive larger cars. And had all gone well over the last year or two the price would now be very competitive imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree. The ID3 is equivalent to the Golf in size which has been the best selling car across Europe for years so no reason why the ID3 sized EVs shouldnt be equally as popular in future. At some point Irish people may once again get over their irrational love affair with faux SUVs and fall more into line with rest of Europe.

If the Govt(s) were actually serious about EVs replacing ICEs, in the kind of arbitrary timeframes set out, they would incentivise manufacturers to supply more affordable EVs rather that the current approach where manufacturers are incentivised to produce and supply more profitale options laden SUV type vehicles.

VW E-Up has a 35kWh battery giving it plenty of range considering the size of the car. Should get 250km motorway driving easily enough

And that's an older car, a newer design should be able to fit more cells and have faster charging on top. Peugeot e208 is a good example

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The older E-Up (20kWh) won't even do 100km at motorway speeds. The current model gets nowhere near 200km at motorway speeds from its 32kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

Almost 1300 EVs registered in April. Almost twice last year's numbers

https://twitter.com/GerHerbert1/status/1521460946014818306?s=20&t=_Qn3CkN7tv2DkPe35DJ6aQ

Seeing a lot of ID cars as well as Ioniq 5s and EV6s around, they all seem to be ramping up despite material shortages

Lots of Tesla M3s and a couple of MYs as well.

I feel like Stellantis are still waiting to pull the finger out. I know a lot of their EVs look basically the same as the fossil versions so they're harder to spot, but they still seem very much the laggard of the main brands. Other than a couple of Mokka Es and the odd Peugeot EV I don't think I've seen any of their EVs around recently

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

But do we need anymore cheap Chinese cars that are poorly made? What about the carbon footprint of a car being shipped from China? We need more affordable European cars for the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Chinese cars will come either way. Better they be EV.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭sh81722

The likes of iX3 are exclusively Chinese built and nobody seem to complain about quality. Same with pretty much all of the mass produced electronics these days. And don't mention about the components for European cars that are made in China. A notable exception are actually be German Teslas due to the vertical integration: Pretty much everything will be made in Germany.

I hear very few people complaining about the build quality of their €1000+ iPhones, made in China.

No complaints on my Chinese Tesla M3, way better build quality than my US Model S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Interesting issue I noticed with Toyota's figures. I went looking to see how many RAV4 Primes they'd sold, as I've seen a handful of them on the roads now, and I noticed that Toyota don't have any plug-in hybrids registered this year. It looks like all RAV4 sales are getting registered as regular HEVs.

You can still find them though by looking at the CO2 emissions of all registered RAV4s. As only the Prime would have CO2 emissions in the sub 80g/km range (even under NEDC) you can assume all RAV4s in that band are Prime models.

I was shocked to see that they accounted for over half of all RAV4 sales, over a thousand units. This would make it by far the most popular PHEV in the country this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I wonder if Govt could do a rebate for Customs/VAT costs for EV 2nd hand imports.....

Should be possible for Govt to set it up legally so that the EV sits in a yard in Rosslare for an hour with customs duty owing.* And then the rebate effectively cancels the bill.

*my suspicion is that with the Brexit stuff the bill must be issued. So may need a way where Customs issue a charge but its paid by someone like SEAI electronically within the hour.

Stupid I know but then stupid things like Brexit need daft work arounds

We are talking about primarily UK imports, with Sterling and UK pricing it's no longer attractive to import even forgetting about VRT/Customs/VAT

Exactly. Prices of second hand EVs in the UK are even higher than here. Forget about importing one even if there was zero VRT, zero VAT, zero import duty

Which is why driving/buying ICEs will remain Hobson's choice for many people for quite a while to come.

No idea how you jumped to that conclusion. It's quite the opposite, regardless of budget. Buying a €5k 10 year old Nissan Leaf in Ireland will have a lower total cost of ownership than getting a banger ICE for free and driving that if you do average mileage or more.

More and more people are becoming less ignorant and starting to understand this though, which is driving up the price of second hand EVs. Obviously the people in the UK are a bit ahead of us in this understanding, that's why their EVs have had even higher negative depreciation than the ones over here.

The issue is the gap between supply and demand ... there simply isn't enough cheap leafs to go around. It's not all about ignorance of the value of EVs. In any case even if they were more plentiful, older badly degraded Leafs dont really suit single car households as they are simply too inconvenient when having to do a journey or multiple journeys exceedong 40kms or so in a single day. I know as I have one and yes find it great for shorter journeys but reglarly have to use the diesel for longer journeys.

Yeah it looks like most of the European brands have just about given up on budget cars in general, let alone EVs

They make great second cars though. And the only reason the gap between supply and demand is getting bigger is that demand is getting bigger because people are becoming aware of the benefits of cheap EVs 😁

There were plenty of €3k, €4k Leafs about for many years up until about 6-12 months ago. Now you'd be lucky to find one for €6k. I paid a bit over €2k for my Fluence (also just a Leaf underneath) last summer. It's worth at least €5k now

• Advertisement

Yea agree, great car when they suit your circumstances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement