Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,651 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes. Someone has to fill the jobs the local won't or can't do.

This wont be a one off scheme. No matter what they say.

Criminal records and deportation orders against your name, not an issue, here's your Irish citizenship.

They previously claimed that lots of these illegals don't realize they are illegal. Not sure how they are going to apply for the scheme if they don't realize they are illegal.

I've been waiting to see if the government would announce a parallel scheme to prosecute the thousands of business who have been employing these people illegally and not paying tax. It doesn't seem to have been announced yet. I'm sure it will be soon, I wait in anticipation.

From the RTE article:

She also said that a deportation order does not necessarily prevent a person from applying or being successful but that each individual and application will be vetted.

If there is a serious criminal conviction or otherwise outstanding, she said, then that is something that the Minister for Justice will have to take into account.

........'take into account'

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Which pay minimum wage or such a low wage that means we're subsidising them through various social welfare supports.

Lovely little country...

Pay for our pensions? You're having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

You mean the 450 million EU population isn't big enough to cater for a small island like ourselves?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The 17,000 illegals in the country figure quoted has to be BS. I'd love to know how they landed on that number because instinctually I think we all know the figure has to be far in excess of that.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

"Have to take into account serious criminal convictions..."

Almost sounds like they are apogizing for this. Why doesn't the government figure out why illegal immigrants with serious criminal convictions remain in Ireland. Why doesn't she deport them?

Also, has there been a definition of what is considered a minor criminal conviction? If there is a human victim at the other end of that conviction should they just shut their mouth while the convicted criminal is given Irish citizenship?

Why are no media outlets or journalists asking these questions?

Recent PEW research in the UK puts their illegal population at 800,000 to 1.2 million. The Irish equivalent would be roughly 80-100,000. Minister is claiming 17,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I see there is an application fee. Guessing that will be waived in many cases eventually.

And what illegal with serious convictions will raise their heads above the parapet to participate? Honestly.

So, the floodgates are open. A once in a generation (approx 30 years or so) opportunity. Don't make me laugh, it will be renewed every few years from now on.

But they are to be patted on the head with compassion and compared with so called "undocumented" Irish in the US. Ok so. I can see a huge number of Brazilian student overstayers on this list. Obrigado.

Those who applied legitimately for work visas etc. must be spitting feathers. They went through the proper channels and see illegals getting a free pass. They must be raging.

I've one last question that someone may be able to help with.

Has there been any elected politician, either TD or councilor connected with any political party in Ireland who has objected to this? I'd like to contact them if so.

Not independents because I know a few off them will object.

It's an absolute kick in the teeth, not just for Irish people but also for law abiding legal immigrants who obey all the rules and joined the queue and do their best day in day out. I've spoken to a few who are very angry about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Will the immigrants take part in the good behaviour course Simon Harris wants implemened for Irish men at third level? Policies like Helens fail to protect people. Yet she wants to consider people who have serious criminal convictions. The double standards and hypocrisy is an embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hello how are you

If they implement a "don't be a rapist" course for men, then they need to implement a "don't be a gold digger" course for women. Fair's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Remove the welfare state and plenty of locals will do them jobs...trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I think that's only the figure they settled with for the first batch ,this will be given extension after extension ,

We can obviously abolish the asylum system now that anyone with a deportation order (11,000) and asylum seekers seeking international protection will get it too ,we know we have in excess of 9000 + asylum seekers in direct provisions alone ,

Post edited by Gatling on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Inflammatory, agenda driven thread title updated to reflect what the article actually says

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

They've been dishing out so many citizenships over the years that I'm surprised it isn't lower than 17000...

Undocumented = illegal

"The application fee for a single person is €550, while the fee for a family application is €700."

They're bitching that the undocumented have to pay an application fee.

My citizenship application for another E.U. country cost that and I also needed to pay for translation fees of Certificates from English and Language tests and citizenship tests. They want an Irish passport and they want it for free.

Just working this through in my head: if they can't afford citizenship then once given the passport for free then Social Welfare can't refuse the whole gamut of social welfare supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,088 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

can you quote the part of the article that used the phrase?

• Advertisement

"convictions for minor offences"

It's right there in the article.

The fact illegals with "convictions for minor offences" *in Ireland* will be given citizenship is worth discussing. Why would people want to censor this?

hahahaha

Selective quoting at its best.

Applicants must be considered of good character and not pose a threat to the State, but having convictions for minor offences will not, by itself, result in disqualification.

What are you talking about

It's literally word for word from the article.

Illegals with "convictions for minor offences" will get citizenship. You quoted it.

Applicants are allowed to include a spouse or partner, and children aged between 18 and 23 in their applications. Successful applicants will be allowed to access the labour market and can begin a path to Irish citizenship.

How are 18-23 years olds counted as children?

Ms McEntee said there will also be an appeals process and people can be confident that if they are not successful that their application will be assessed independently under appeal.

Lessons never seem to be learned. One of the biggest problems with the Asylum/DP system were the endless appeals, which ended up being paid by the State (or the NGOs, which are funded by the State).. and yet, now, we're to have an extra dimension where appeals will be allowed for this "Amnesty". More money for the legal profession provided by the taxpayer..

If there is a serious criminal conviction or otherwise outstanding, she said, then that is something that the Minister for Justice will have to take that into account.

Not an automatic disqualification. Taken into account... and the Minister gets to decide.. not a body/panel of experts in such things. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the Minister, but she's a politician... what makes her an authority in deciding that those with serious criminal convictions, should be accepted?

There is so much that is wrong in that article, and nobody (politicians/public servants) seem to be interested in asking the obvious questions.

I never said it wasn't word for word. I said it it was "selective quoting at its best".

I do not think the way you implied "convictions for minor offences"

has the same meaning as.

Applicants must be considered of good character and not pose a threat to the State, but having convictions for minor offences will not, by itself, result in disqualification.

It has the same meaning.

If you have "convictions for minor offences" your application won't be disqualified. The article literally states it will not disqualify you. Please read the sentence you are quoting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Where does it say they will get citizenship? I'll save you the trouble - it doesn't. Successful applicants get immigration permission and can then pursue citizenship through naturalization.

The amnesty seeks to provide legal status to the illegals. It doesn't offer citizenship. You're confusing two different issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭hawley

So you can have someone who has gone through the whole asylum process and been given notice of deportation; now they can apply for this amnesty. Then if they're turned down for this, they can appeal as well. This country is an absolute joke.

• Advertisement

OK, they are given a "path to citizenship".

"Successful applicants will be allowed to access the labour market and can begin a path to Irish citizenship."

We both know my interpretation is valid. Illegals with minor criminal convictions will get citizenship. It's a fact.

Advertisement