Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo XC60 Hybrid Vs Kia Ev6

• 30-01-2022 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Evening,

I am considering going to either electric or hybrid at the end of the year or maybe sooner. Currently driving a 520d.

I am considering a Volvo XC60 Plug In Hybrid or a Kia Ev6.

I like the power i have in my current motor and wouldnt like something that doesnt drive as well or have the same poke in it.

Any one have experience with the two models im considering above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

EV6 all day long ,hybrid is fast becoming old hat at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Just looking at the Volvo, 18 kWh battery is impressive, 79 km range, hybrid registrations were higher than EV and PHEV put together last year, I guess some are not on the same hymn book.

Post edited by kanuseeme on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

The type of driving you do is critical when thinking about if a diesel, PHEV or EV suits you. if you do 100km each way commute, get the EV6 and you’ll save a fortune in fuel. If you do 70km a day and can charge daily or even during the day but don’t want to delay yourself on occasional long journals then the T6 would be great too. If you do 600km a day quite often get another diesel.

I love modern Volvo’s and although the EV6 is v modern, the Volvo cabin is higher quality and is super comfortable, small things like real leather rather than ‘vegan’ leather. Ignore the one sided merchants saying one type of tech is outdated, this is pure rhetoric

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

family member got themselves a Kia Nero last week, no charge point installed in the home yet. Took 45 minutes to charge at a 50kw charger in town. Not including waiting for the charger

turned me completely off fully electric cars for the time been. In a few years when the tech and number of charge points get better I will reconsider but until then I’ll stick to old fashioned combustion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Isn't their problem a short term issue though? Surely a small issue like that while they wait for a home charger to be installed isn't something to put you off buying an EV.

I have my Leaf coming up on a year now. I've public charged 4 times in that year. Once was to see how to do it (charged for 15 mins, no wait). The next two times were for a quick fast charge (no wait at all and again charged for 15-20mins to get what I needed) and the other time was to see how much free charge I might get while shopping in Lidl, didn't have to wait and charged away for free for 40mins while shopping.

I just used the 3 pin charger while I waited for my wallbox to be installed also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

My commute will be circa 15km per day each way, currently about 28km each way.

2nd hand volvo phev is circa an extra 10k on the ev6.

dont want to regret the change down from bmw to kia, although on aesthics the ev6 is very tasty but i have not driven it yet.##

I would have a bit of a heavy foot too so wondering what sort of range i would really get from it.

For the public charging points do you have to pay for these and are they reasonable if so?

The family member is delight with the purchase. It is myself who was turned off them.

I don’t see the benefits out weigh the inconvenience of them yet. Hope the tech improves dramatically over the next few years so I can change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They have no charger at home....

And tech improving? There are various models all capable of over 400km. Where is it you are driving to that needs an improvement on that... Just wondering?

They don’t have a charge point at home yet, house they live in doesn’t have a connected parking space beside it. One of these houses where the parking is community spaces across the road etc.

they are looking into burying the cable so avoid kids falling over it etc. should have it sorted in a couple of weeks.

i currently get 950k/1000k out of a dacia duster on a full tank, circa 70e to fill up and time spent filling is less than 4 minutes.

based on the Nero charge time on a 50kw charger the same distance would take 2 hours to charge and cost €25.

2 hours waiting’s to charge isn’t worth the 45e savings for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Every thread seems to be getting derailed with this discussion at the moment. But if you are happy with the Duster, there is no hope getting ANY new car that will be worth it (EV or otherwise) financially.

And regarding the charging time, that entire equation changes when your relative gets the home charger setup (and I appreciate not everyone can have home charging). On night rate, the cost to fill their battery will drop to €10 give or take. And it will all magically happen when they are sleeping, leaving them with as full a battery as they want every morning. So in that case, unless they are doing more than 400km per day regularly, they will rarely if ever use the public charging network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

As previous posters said, you really need to have access to a home charger to maximise the benefit of an EV. I know this is a challenge for some people, but it will improve. You are paying 70 euro to fill your car now, I wonder what you will be paying this time next year? All energy prices are increasing, but the gap between electricity and petrol/diesel is going to widen constantly into the future.

Our EV is doing about 460-480 on a full charge at the moment. Charged it last night to 80% capacity and it cost just €5.10. So my point is that if you get the home charger combined with a car with decent range you practically eliminate any reliance on public charging.

So the flip side to your point is that we have moved from a fill of diesel costing €100 to an electric cost of approx €9 for the same range. Effectively the upgrade to the new car costs us nothing as the diesel savings pay for the car.

I was looking at new with 80 km range, early 2nd hand models only 45 km, I cannot say what you would get from it.

A new one seems to be 10 k more than the EV6, how old is the 2nd hand one your looking at?

2019 roughly. But wasnt aware the old models do only 45km. Can range from 55k to 65k

https://www.carsireland.ie/2834583

Your XC60 Recharge

Total MSRP

€59,250

New seems better value, I know you have to cough up another 7k or so, the Kia is good value compared, but its not a Volvo.

But by the time you add on the extras you get with the kia like the below your looking at circa 71.5k for the volvo;

Heated Steering

360 Cameras

Heads up Display

Power Seating with memory

driver assistance

The more and more i look at it the EV6 seems a great buy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'm going from 530d which has incredible blend of comfort & power to Ioniq 5 ( brother to the EV6). Don't regret the decision at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ricey3509

One additional thing to be a aware of is that the 2022 XC60 is using android auto os and it seems to have been a disaster (lots of issues and missing functionality), it would make me think twice before buying one.

Does anyone know if the EV6 GT will be coming to ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭CoBo55

As a driver of a phev myself home charging is essential, the public network is essentially useless to me as the charge rate is so slow. If I had it over again I'd go for the full ev. No matter which car you choose there are great savings to be made over Ice. I can't remember when I put petrol into the car I'll have to check my banking app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Truer words have never been spoken. I've two neighbours with PHEVs who convinced themselves they can't/won't get home chargers. Instead they got sockets and run off the granny lead

I'd say both cars get charged roughly once every 6 months, they're basically petrol cars dragging around an extra motor.

One thing I'll say with the while BEV vs PHEV argument is that if you're doing lower mileage then with a car like the EV6 you'll probably only charge twice a week, whereas if you want to get maximum value out of a PHEV then you really need to charge it before every journey

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

EV6 GT isn't out yet (anywhere, late 2022 /early 2023) ... GTLine is the highest spec for now in Ireland. RWD single motor .. It's a great car , collected mine 1 month ago and love it. Can't comment about XC60 vs Ev6 as it depends on your circumstances. I was initially going to go Phev (something like Octavia Rs Iv or Formentor hybrid) . Then I moved house and have a longer commute and the ability to install solar so went full Ev.

Post edited by Vico1612 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Mine seems to have settled on being charged twice a week maybe a third partial charge (40%) (costing €5 in total for electricity)if I do a bit extra. There's a big difference in petrol consumption between doing a journey with a flat or charged battery, you'll never get better than 6.5 with a flat battery whereas down into the 3's has regularly shown on the summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

They've completely missed the point of the PHEV. I plug mine in whenever I can (ground floor apt & rental house) and I save a good bit vs a petrol. I could offset repayments on a new EV with substantial fuel savings, I'm not prepared to commit to buying any new car here, so a second hand PHEV was a worthwhile compromise.

do you think you also need to have solar to see the benefits of an ev car?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Op: I picked up an XC60 T8 last week. So far I’m delighted with it. I have a charger installed so will use that and I’m getting over 55kms from a charge. The piece on the Android OS worried me, but it’s fine so far, other than no CarPlay yet. That comes in a OTA update - supposedly this quarter. Chose PHEV as I live in a rural area but trips home to parents/grandparents and matches are long haul and I didn’t want the anxiety. Will move to full BEV of this model when it becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Oh I agree completely, but the cars in question belong to a particular German 'performance' car brand, and I think they were chosen for the 200Hp and low road tax versus the tractor engine models, rather than because of the fuel savings and opportunity for EV driving

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

You can't blame people for that all the same. The PHEV in the city is still better than a diesel or equivalent petrol, even if they're never plugged in. Hope the second and third owners of the cars get decent battery capacity remaining and actually use them as intended!

Advertisement