Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free DAB radio

• 28-01-2022 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

For many many years, boards posters were pining for RTE or the Government to roll out DAB radio but now that a young entrepreneur has opened up an unlicensed network accoss the country with over 20 different stations, nobody is discussing it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Young Entrepreneur? Thats a bit of a stretch! Its just another pirate radio set up!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheBMG

”young” is a bit of a stretch for that particular entrepreneur too!

Across the country is a stretch too! No DAB here in Sligo although I can buy a digital radio in my local Curry’s or Harvey Norman!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

and there has been discussion of freedab on this forum.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

So under 35 isn't young? Hum there sure is a lot of begrudgery in this thread

• Advertisement

I really don't get this old chestnut about shops selling radios with DAB, apart from some very early prototypes, every DAB radio also has FM, some even do AM, modern ones in the shops today will also have features like Bluetooth and a USB port so it's not like anyone is buying something useless or unusable 🙄

My main point beside Dab sets availability in stores was the lack of a digital radio signal here for Irish dab. Certain areas in Sligo have dab signals from N I but not local content

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I don't really understand why there is so much hesitancy towards DAB and DAB+ in Ireland. The only possible explanation is that existing radio broadcasters as the RTE or the private ones are comfortable in their own "FM world" and not waning to change that or possibly having fears of losing revenue or market share.

DAB and DAB+ is a success in the UK, in Norway, in Switzerland, and even catching on in Germany and rolled out across France. No need to fumble around with your cell phone, no internet cost or data usage issues, and lot's of different channels streaming, at rather minimal cost, compared to FM. Also all newer cars sold in the EU are to be equipped with a DAB+ radio.

Also, I wasn't aware that Sligo gets DAB signals from NI? I always thought that DAB from NI doesn't really make it across the border? I presume you're receiving the BBC mux?

Yes in the Collooney area where we have always had a terrestrial signal from Brougher in Tyrone. Had Bbc, UTV and ch4 from a traditional roof aerial back in the 70s/80s here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Nothing in large parts of Dublin , possibly all , either

• Advertisement

The British DAB signal for BBC Radio either coms from Brougher Mountain or from Enniskillen. Brougher would be a bit further away than the Enniskillen transmitter, but the stronger one. I'd say in Collooney it'll be hard to figure out which signal you're getting your British DAB signal for BBC radio reception.

However it surprises me that you're getting DAB from the UK in your area without any additional antennas? Either the signal travels further than I expected, or you're using some excellent antenna to boost the reception?

I would have guessed the signal drops out completely west of Manorhamilton?

Youre the one that started the thread when its already been discussed to death already.

I have a roof aerial for DAB. Collooney is on a hill which also helps!

I was guessing something like that. Under normal circumstances you wouldn't get the DAB signal from NI in your area at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

For my daily office work (still from home) I have long given up on Irish FM and nearly all my listening is on DAB with content from across the border.

Just done a san and picking up 89 channels

Yes, a lot of these are crap, but most are a hell of a lot better than the BAI regulated tripe we get on FM

There will never be DAB in the south while the BAI mull over consultations et al and indeed while they can refer to that narrative from the JNLR's that radio listenership is growing on FM

Most of them don't even know what it is, thinking it's something to do with the Internet or indeed Apps.

Likewise, I may add this forum - there is a very very negative preception towards the medium. With all that in mind, I've reserved myself to the fact that we will not be seeing entrepreneurial Irish stations with no 20% crap on DAB anytime soon.

In fairness, 80 odd of those stations are coming from the mainland. I don't think northern Ireland has had any more success than ourselves with indigenous DAB stations

They have one local mux (and several unlicensed ones)

What is this “mainland” you speak of? On the island of Ireland.

I think it's the isle of man, and the poster had a typo, perhaps meaning manland

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

And that really tells you all you need to know. DAB radio in the ROI is 15 years too late. It's not going to happen now and nobody really cares. FM coverage and audio quality is pretty good and web streaming offers massive choice. All the things that DAB promised. Fair play to the young entrepreneur for trying.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's too late at all. As said, Germany's DAB+ rollout is pretty recent, only recently all new cars are to have DAB+ mandatory by EU law, plus the idea of 5G as an alternative to DAB+ is technically not an ideal option.

Also choice is rather limited, if it's only down to FM Radio, unless you're in Dublin. Also don't expect for TalkSport or BBC Radio 4 or Radio 4 on LW to be there forever as well. I'd expect that all commercial AM stations in the UK will not be seeing any profit anymore from their AM broadcast beyond 2025 and onwards, so they'd be switched off completely.

Would you really pay €250 a month for 128kb stream and zero listeners?

In the car in most of Ireland

I want to listen to an 80s station - I can't

A 90's or a 70s station - Nope

A dance station - No again

A pure country and westen station - No again

A real classic rock station - Nah

A soul station - No

A Gay station - No

A Jazz station - are you for real

Sports stations - Nope

Indie stations - No

Religious stations - kinda, we have spirit on AM and some FM

What do I have?

If in Dublin, 5 to 6 stations trying to do the same thing

If in the rest of the country - the local station for your county with the endless amount of talkshows and egos

Dont start me about fiddeling with my phone - not happening

That's why I like driving in and around Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The stations being carried on FreeDab are quite literally not worth discussing.

So we're back to the same problem - there's no content so there's no reason for anyone to buy a DAB radio so there's no incentive for stations to push for DAB infrastructure so there won't be any content so there won't be any reason for anyone to buy a DAB radio... and round and round we go.

There is no prospect of anyone injecting the millions of euro needed to break this circle and every year that streaming and internet radio gets more established, the harder it will be for DAB to find any niche.

Only an EU-mandated shutdown of FM will bring DAB back into the mix.

Its already in the mix in every new car - like it or not

freedab run a mostly software based system i believe so infrastructure costs don't have to be in the millions unless a completely hardware based solution was being used.

realistically any of the dab setups around the world will probably go software eventually anyway.

stations on freedab vary in quality of course but that is no different to the over-regulated BAI stations on fm.

@end of the road we live in such a blinkered society that there is about as much a chance of a UK like scenario here as there is of Shergar winning next years grand national.

The independent stations - upon whom the BAI rely so much for their existance, are happy with the status quo.

DAB rocks the boat by introducing competition - and many of the ILR's actually have no idea what it even is !!!

The snake is not going to bite the hand that feeds it - and there lies the crux

The problem with this kind of opinion is that Irish radio will slowly and gradually lose market share. It's no longer reaching all audiences, while DAB+ can do that with ease. Once the ILR's on FM will lose advertising revenue, they may change their minds. However judging by previous negative DAB+ posts, it may be a long and difficult learning curve.

The choice on DAB+ in countries like the UK, Switzerland, Norway or Germany is the answer to what people expect to have via the likes of internet these days.

• Advertisement

indeed, but the problem for the BAI and the independent stations is that ultimately they will not be able to win the battle against competition regardless of how it's delivered and it will be delivered whether it be another terrestrial platform or we actually get to a stage where online coverage is such that listening to radio online is fully reliable.

Advertisement