Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free DAB radio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

And where does the 20% news and current affairs go then?

They want to prolong the stranglehold for as long as they can, hence no DAB

That's the reality

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Is the dab thing still on in Dublin? I did a scan today & got nothing, I picked it up a few weeks ago around tallaght but didn’t travel far, There was about 15 English channels on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

For any country you name that recently switched on DAB, I could name another that switched off DAB. I'm not anti DAB, not even the slightest. I was involved in the setup of the RTE/commercial operator DAB trial back in 2005/06. That was the time to expand and launch DAB. At the time I thought it was a great thing to be involved with.

It's had it's day. It's too late now.

In the UK when promoting DAB takeup, they quote "digital radio" listeners, that includes all types of streaming radio and apps as well. DAB figures are just a subset of the overall digital radio figures. But they use the overall "digital radio" figure to make it seem more popular.

Quick Google search: https://getdigitalradio.com/6651-2/

Even the first paragraph in that article is misleading. You see "digital" and "radio" in the same sentence and just assume DAB.

Somebody mentioned fiddling with a phone to listen to online stations in car. Why? Use Apple Car Play or Android Auto and use the head unit in the car. Even voice commands work pretty good now, so you don't even need to touch the screen. Why drive around Ulster to tune in.

People say radio is dead or dying and that I only listen to online stations now. Guess what, most commercial stations are online and people are listening to them. At the moment, online income wouldn't match the traditional income from broadcast FM but some stations are beginning to see steady increase year on year. It wipes it's face as they say and they can now employ a web content/social media person or team.

Radio is going to be around for a long time yet, in some format and whatever the pay model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Regarding "had it's day and It's too late now", that's the way I feel about AM and FM.

It was good back then, but no longer up to standards, it has it's limitations as to how many stations you can transmit and it's also expensive to run. Same goes for LW, RTE 252 and Radio 4 on 198. Something like Atlantic 252 will never come back.

Switzerland, the UK, and Norway have a higher DAB+ audience than on FM. BBC WS on Shortwave in English is gone, but guess what, it's available in countries like the Netherlands on DAB+. I think Malta has a good DAB+ audience as well.

The only reason for FM and AM to continue is there are more radios around, and in many countries still a greater audience to reach, - however that audience is getting smaller with the aging population using it, and the younger ones simply expect more. Also in some countries broadcasters are comfortable in their FM comfort zone, not wanting changes to the market, fearing competition, but fearing competition and isolationist ideas was almost always the reason for a downfall. Just look at the history of the British automobile industry and compare with the French automakers.

Also the wording "digital" is used for DAB, "online" for internet streaming, either mobile or WiFi, at least that's the way they do it in the UK. Same as using Apple Car Play or Android Auto, that's exactly the fiddling one doesn't want to do and not everybody is comfortable with voice commands.

Post edited by tinytobe on

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

LoL You'd swear that FM was banned in new cars by the EU the way some people go on about the car Radio directive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

That reminds me, for some reason Willie O'Reilly wrote some pro dab articles in the SBP a year or two ago saying rte were wrong to close it, I think this is strange considering he was CEO of Today FM when they decided not to go ahead with it. If DAB stood a chance in Ireland, it needed Today FM in the 00s (an era in which people used to email ray Darcy to ask where can you buy diehard 2 on DVD) to launch spin off stations on the platform, but when Willie, Eddie Fitz and co did the sums, they came to the conclusion that all that would do is eat into their main product

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Is it not the lack of interest or understanding by the regulator that's the stranglehold ? - just look at this dribble below

The BAI is committed to exploring the potential for digital radio, including platforms. This will be accomplished by establishing a working group to review sustainability in the radio sector and commissioning an independent expert review of the potential for digital audio broadcasting.

The BAI will explore the opportunities for establishing digital audio broadcasting through consultation and working with the industry, and conducting an analysis of the Irish marketplace and international developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

An interesting perspective on the UK DAB trials, from Peter Moore, station manager at Radio Caroline. Caroline has been involved in the trials for some time now, but as Peter explains, the future of their involvement will depend on future costs.

The problem they have in the UK, is they started digital radio early on and naturally used an older technology and this was DAB, the digital technology now in use in the EU is DAB+.

Any DAB+ radio is downward compatible and can receive DAB signals, but it doesn't go the other way. Listeners with an old DAB radio ( mostly Roberts and Pure ) won't pick up DAB+.

I think some of the newer multiplexers in the UK use DAB+, whilst the BBC Mux uses DAB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

not worth spending e50 on the chance you might pick up something.prob get to listen to some shite dj expressing an opinion on solving the crisis the world is in,again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

didn't rte have a dab channel and closed it down due to lack of interest from sponsors and listeners.why would so called independents be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

rte closed it down to save money ultimately and the fact they couldn't afford to extend it to the whole country.

there was some listenership to it but it was small and realistically they were never going to get sponsors even if they had extended it to the whole country because any sponsorship is generally for the programming rather then the platform.

small niche broadcasters may be interested because it allows for low cost operation and it breaks the closed shop we have in ireland because the current over-regulated, high cost model practiced in ireland becomes untenible as there is no more excuse for not allowing competition, not that there is much of a one anyway even currently but that's another day's work.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Annascaul

It would be worth if DAB+ offered a lot of choice which it currently doesn't, - at least not in Ireland.

Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, the UK, Norway they all had successful DAB+ implementations. I wouldn't even consider switching on FM, when I am in one of those countries. The choice on DAB+ is just too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Why would people bother with Dab when they can access almost any station on the internet?

A lot of people, even a majority of the countries, I've mentioned have "people" who "bother with DAB". Switzerland already has a very solid majority of DAB listeners, same as Norway, the UK has a slight majority of DAB listeners. Reception is simply easier, also in mountain terrain. No fumbling with phones, no apps to download, no data limits.

As said, I wouldn't bother with FM anymore, when I am in one of those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Because you don't get .........annoying gaps.......where....the next word.....or note... can take 10...or 20 ....seconds to play

At least with DAB it behaves like normal break in transmission and you miss a bit

Because if done correctly - Mr. Put*n cannot stop it !

That's exactly it.

I think also in the end, it's what one is used to as well, and what one is not used to.

People who've experienced DAB or DAB+ in those countries ( Switzerland, the UK, Norway, the Netherlands or Germany ) where there is a lot of choice on, will miss it automatically when they come to a place like Ireland.

And in a country like Ireland, those who are used to FM are naturally hesitant and resistant to change. Why bother with... why buy a new radio at all, kind of talk.

DAB and DAB+ are by far better for mobile digital radio transmissions, no matter if one is in the mountains or in flat countryside, - than all the other options, even mobile internet, 5G or whatever.

Also it's cheaper, 15 different music channels transmitted from one transmitter at a fraction of the cost of FM or that lame old longwave transmitter on 252.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lord Nelson

DAB in Ireland is a non starter and a complete dead duck. Not so much killed off as strangled at birth by the commercial operators who see anything new, be it FM or DAB as a threat to their monopoly. All done with the connivance of the BAI who sat back and allowed it to happen. Their response for the last ten years is to waffle on about committees, working groups blah, blah which is just a feeble excuse for their complete disinterest and fear of upsetting the apple cart. It may eventually be forced on them by European legislation, you can be sure if that happens it will be controlled by the usual suspects with the blessing of the BAI.

• Advertisement

I think there are similar examples like this in Europe. In Austria, the national broadcaster, the ORF is blocking DAB+ as well, fearing competition. However unlike Ireland, in Austria, some private operators are pushing DAB+ a bit as well, not very successfully so far, but way more successfully than Ireland. I think the influence is also there from Germany, many DAB+ stations from Germany are spilling over into Austria, plus all new cars have DAB+ radios as well.

With the absense of RTE on 12C - Time for the BBC and the other 2 MUXes to lift the 27db restriction going south, and allow all 2kW to filter down the east coast, as opposed to the miserable 5 watts that still manages to get as far as Dunleer today.

Then perhaps the "establishment" and the "sheep" can learn what DAB actually is

If the British / Northern Irish signal gets all the way to Dunleer, you've got a good radio. I normally don't get that, south of Dundalk the signal stops.

FMSCAN.org lists the following DAB stations for Dublin? - are they all still on air?

5BIRL2E999 Radio

BKLR Radio

Carlow FM

Club FM

Coast

Coast Classic

Coast Dance

Cyber Hits

Cyber Rock

DUBLIN'S ABC

Dundalk FM

ENERGY

Kiss 106

Non Stop 90s

OpenTempo

Polish Radio IRL

Pulse

Sovereign 1494

Storm North East

Storm OldSkool

Telstar 80s

Tomorrow Radio

United DJs

Wild Country

Zenith Rock(1)

Ambition Radio

Angel Vintage

BKLR Radio

Black Culture

BlitzKids Essex

CLUB DAB

Eruption Radio

Fire Radio

Flex UK

FRESH 87

Gorgeous Radio

JuiceRadio.Net

Kiss DAB

Kream DAB

LondonMusicRadio

Polish Radio IRL

Purveyors Radio

ReleaseRadio

Sami Swoi Radio

Saor Raidio

Scotlands Castle

Select Radio

Shine 879

Spektrum Radio

Tomorrow Radio

Trans Radio

Traveller

UnityDAB

Wild Country(1)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Look at the list of stations there, who in their right mind would have any interest in that choice, it’s very poor to say the least . Mostly English stations, I wonder do the operators of these stations realise how poor the DAB signals are here & them paying for it.

Yeah - there seems to be a drastic difference with different car radios - ones with the shark-fin antenna seem to do a lot better than the inbuilt window ones. And yes - they will all scan on the main street in Dunleer - but it has Line of sight to Camlough there from roof levels

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A new aerial array won't be free, so that isn't going to happen.

I'd say, it looks more like a trial service, than something regular.

The fact that no one on here and indeed that people in Dubin are going to FMSCAN.org to see whats on air says it all to me about the complete disinterest in DAB in this country. The above MUX does fine, all the way from the Leopardstown junction on the M50 - the whole way to Junction 5 on the M1 (Lusk) - it comes in again around Junction 6 for a bit, gone completelely around Drogheda and then is perfect again from Junction 11 Monasterboice to 19 Ravensdale - Goes again for about 2km and comes back in at J20 and good to A1 junction at Dromore Co. Down

I actually use fmscan.org a lot. I think the problem is as long as the choice is so limited in Ireland, DAB+ won't catch any interest.

The signal of this mux in Dublin is actually very weak and barely makes it out into the countryside. And what people are used to like the RTE or major commercial stations are missing. That's not the best situation if one wants to introduce a new technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

I wonder how you know this?

Have you inside information or are you just making your own assumptions on the issue?

Advertisement