Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 nations 22

• 28-01-2022 4:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

So! What's the predictions? Will France shake covid and be the team to beat?

Will EJ look genius like with his selected panel?

Are Wales the lucky side that jammed a grand slam?

Scotland, why are you so optimistic? Can ye shock us all?

Italy! Nawwww@

Ireland! Will we win this? Will AF and Catt continue the recent good work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

France are the team most likely to be able to slam.

wales with home advantage are capable of beating anyone on their day.

Scotland are also capable of beating anyone on their day, but are most likely to beat themselves.

Ireland could beat everyone if they have sexton for every game, with depth up front and in midfield A result against wales sets up paris nicely and the fixtures are kind for us this year.

I cant see England being very competitive, to unsettled a squad, but eddie jones never puts out a bad team.

1.FR 2.IRL 3.WRU 4.ENG 5.SCO 6.ITA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

quietly optimistic for Ireland. I was very skeptical of Farrell and they way we were playing up until that English game in Lansdowne. & then the Autumn happened!

win v Wales (15+), ? v Fran (No Dupont), Ita, win v Eng, win v Scot

even when France were "rubbish" Ireland struggle in Paris

France have a consistency about them that hasnt been apparent for a long time.

France will hammer everyone but lose to Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

If France don't win it this year, they never will. It couldn't be set up better for them, with us and England at home and their toughest away game being against the weakest Wales team in years.

Eddie has picked a squad to win next year but it's still a really strong squad good enough to win their home games. But France will have too much for them in Paris.

We'll win our home games but England and France away is a bit of a nightmare. We need to be competitive in those two games and not be comprehensively beaten in both like we were in 2020. That would be progress.

Wales have tight 5 thats seriously lacking in quality and experience which will be their undoing. They still have a very good back row and backline.

As for Scotland, maybe this is their year. Sure hasn't it been for the last 15 years.

1. France
    2. England
    3. Ireland
    4. Wales
    5. Scotland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The Engla d squad selection threw me for a loop! No clue about some of the players. EJ must be looking ahead to the world cup. The covid factor could destroy the French and their build up.

I can't see the Scots holding it together for 5 matches. If they were to win it, I would guess it's on point difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,210 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm interested in how Wales do. For years now they've performed far better than the form of their regions would have suggested. But this season seems an especially bad one on on that front.

None of the regions have qualified for the Champions Cup knock out stages. Cardiff had a Covid enforced walkover victory and that's the only win a region has registered. They're 0 wins from 11 games played by Cardiff, Ospreys and Scarlets. The Welsh squad is injury hit up front too.

I think they perform far better for Wales than their regions, but even taking that into account they'll be hard pressed for a Championship win this season. Form and injuries are stacked against them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think its going to be very tight this year and as ever a bit of luck, red card could decide things. But all things being equal it has to be France, beating NZ in the autumn has to stand to them. I'd hope we'll push them close but I'd be leaning to it being between ourselves and France for the top finish. Cannot freaking wait for it.

I'm kind of thinking that EJ is willing to sacrifice this 6nations and build for next year. Not sure if that is a smart move. I think we will do well. I guess a grand slam could be a reach for us, but we can certainly win 3 and maybe 4. France in Paris will be tough.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ireland

France

England

Scotland

Wales

Italy

No slam

• Advertisement

Jayzz! Optimistic! Maybe it will happen. I just hope that our style continues to evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

He definitely is, he didn't come out and say it but he strongly hinted at it. He did it in 2018 as well.

I'm not sure if it's smart either. But say what you will about the guy, he knows how to get a team to perform in a world cup.

I think

England

France

Ireland

Wales

Scotland

Italy

No slam. Scoring difference to be the decider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Will be very difficult for the Ladies team. France and England are practically professional vs amateurs in the other Unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Pale Caucasian

Well it’s futile blaming the blazers and performing some democracy like overture to protest at funding. Blazers are not to blame and this is why I have my suspicions about the whole episode- the boys are all getting hundreds of thousands each to play for Leinster. Maybe cast a sideways glance at Leo and his distribution of funds at contract time would go a lot further to getting to the bottom of where the blame lies

whats Cullen on 300k a year? And Lancaster probably double that to keep the results going and keep him in a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Such a strange post.

Why?

.what I’m saying is that the boys are overpaid. Half the male salaries and you can fund the female game. Stop making a parade about the powers that be.It’s this poor us we’re only the working class players. Piss off

I'm gonna be bold and predict that Italy will win a game this year or at least draw. Probably in Lansdowne!!

France could be savage but they have found a way to lose the past 2 years

I'd fancy Ireland for a triple crown if they dont get key injuries

But really looking forward to it is going to be a belter of a tournament.

Greatest competition in the world in my opinion.

Wow

What a weird weird outburst.. And your point is no better.

Who pee`d in your cornflakes.

• Advertisement

Its the idea that the blazers are to blame. They’re just an easy target because they’re at the top. They are stewards and safe keepers of the game not some endless source of money. A bit of self awareness and ownership of responsibility jointly might make them look less like spoilt children.

And a bit less oh poor us only the workers is laughable. Blame your male boyfriends who play professionally and are hogging all the funds. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Who exactly has blamed blazers? And why would you cut the mens wages to pay the ladies, when it's the men's game that generates all the Revenue. Imagine your boss telling you you're getting a pay cut, because we need to fund another team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Halve the male salaries and quite a few depart for France

Strength of the game here weaker as a result, weakening the revenue streams.

Jesus! Just Jesus.

Ireland does not have the participation levels in women's rugby yet to be able to sustain a full professional weekend squad.

We essentially have 4 good senior women's clubs, who invariably challenge for domestic honours each year.

There is no functioning rugby on a European level, therefore provincial rugby is a by product rather than a goal.

Would paying out full women's squad 50k+ Pro Contracts automatically make us level with France and England.

I'd argue no it wouldn't, we don't have the pool to pick from.

Would it make our women better players, of course it would, but not to the extent of winning six nations because we are so far off England right now.

We need to follow the lead of Wales and Scotland and offer some players financial incentives to focus more on rugby than careers, be that some full time contracts and some part time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yeah. Unfortunately these top clubs, while excellent and do support womens rugby so well, they hoover up all the talent and if the talent was more spread out across more clubs would have far more competitive teams and therefore far more competitive rugby and better quality competition.

I totally agree paying a full womens squad pro contracts wouldnt get us near England or France. Ive seen a fair few club level games of womens rugby in England as ive family playing over there and quite a few levels of the leagues over there are a fair step up on what is being played here never mind the premier 15s level

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Let's hope we see some of this next week .........

No one knows what to expect from Wales this year.

If our pack can front up (per the Boks game in the autumn where we matched them) we might have a chance. Like all sport the trick is to stay in the fight & let the pressure build. Ireland are expected to win this game next week ..... comfortably. There is no pressure on Wales despite what EJ has been saying.

Next week is a free hit for us!

What I'll be looking for on top of the commitment required is a solid set piece & a game plan designed to keep us in the match. If we are within a couple of points at 60 mins I believe we'll win .... getting to that point the challenge.

IMO the players missing are not an issue. Most are coming to the end of their international careers in any case. Time to move on and this is as good a time as any ..... 18 months out from a WC.

Post edited by penybont exile on

• Advertisement

Here we go:

Scotland 17 20 England

Ireland 20. 13 Wales

Italy 5 30 France

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Time for Johnny Redcard to step up again

Red cards could be telling! I hope the refs are good and consistent.

Wales have some top class backrow options coming through in Jenkins, Basham They were very impressive in the Autumn and have big futures.

They have some obvious areas of weakness in the second row and our front row should be well on top of them, but the pivac approach that puts width on the ball coupled with zammit on the wing makes them very dangerous.

I think Ireland will win, home advantage and the sharpness irish players have shown in their provinces will be the difference but in dont see it being more than a 10 point win.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Eire to win outright at 10/3 is free money

• Advertisement

one thing not going for wales is the referee for this game.

if the ref was quick to blow for not releasing on the ground then i think basham would have a field day, however peyper loves a mess at ruck time, and allows a cleanout.

id imagine on our ball we will be aiming to clean out as quickly as possible and get the ball away, so those immediate red hands on the ball wont be blown straight away, say how the likes of adamson or brace would.

i think it will be closer than the 15 point spread the bookies currently have it (that welsh back line is incredibly threatening), but a 5 pointer for ireland is very doable.

ireland 32 22 Wales

Like the optimism!

Genuine Qs:

Would you start Basham over Tipuric and Wainwright over Faletau if all were fit? Or are you thinking more WC picture? Or both!?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I can’t really call this 6Ns. France can still do a France. They proved that last year by losing at home to Scotland when they could have actually won the Championship. The Welsh game could be their trap game as they seem to fall flat in games they and everyone else expect them to win. I don’t see them losing to Scotland again after last year and Italy are incredibly poor. It’s the Wales game that seems to me to be their trap game.

France have to be favourites but how much of a spanner Covid has thrown into the works remains to be seen. They’re lucky that the only game it should impact is the Italy one. And maybe that’s going to be enough for them to start to build a bit of momentum. The round 2 game in Paris would seem to be a Championship decider effectively at this stage but it will be interesting to see how England go this week.

I think it’ll be France, Ireland, England, Wales, Scotland, Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I was looking forward to this thread starting, gotta love the optimism about the respective teams. As a Welshman I've limited expectation this year but will be completely happy to be proved wrong and see them do well. I would prefer a different match and location to kick off though, we're notoriously slow to start and will need to be out of the blocks sharpish to get a result on Saturday. I usually scramble to get a pair of tickets but this year I've stayed out of ticket hunting, there are only so many grinning Irish fans I can take if we get a belting! I'll head into town though, should be good with the restrictions gone and some Welsh choir singing in the boozers....

Enjoy the tournament all, The Six Nations is superb!

• Advertisement

Genuine answer ...... I don't feel we lose much with Basham & Wainwright. So yes I would pick them.

Tipuric & Faletau haven't played since last summer. Both are the wrong side of 30 Faletau has also suffered a lot of injuries. Time for the new guard in my view. We should be looking at Jac Morgan & Ioan Lloyd as well. I like the look of Lloyd @12.

Optimistic ... not really. Recent history says Ireland will probably win but i think we have a better chance than the media here are giving us. People might be surprised how competitive our pack will be.

Ireland don't have many weaknesses but if Sexton goes down the likely 8,9,10 decision making axis doesn't look as convincing.

I think Wales will be very aggressive on Saturday. Ireland beat NZ by keeping the ball & playing in a very structured style. Wales will need to disrupt that by being as abrasive as possible around the ruck & 10/12 channel. We'll need to keep the penalty count down. We'll need a solid set peice.

In our favouur we do have the strike runners out wide to cause Ireland problems if we can break the game up. Lots of 'ifs' there but who knows.

Basham looks promising. 'Mish Watson like? Tipuric is pure class. Always hated when he played against Ireland. I think we have only beaten Wales once since he's been starting. & always an 80min performance.

The over reliance on Sexton as a 10 is still very frustrating. But at least you could see Ireland progress in the Autumn with JGP and Ringrose entrusted more as decision makers/organisers. I think JGP is actually a good decision maker. His speed at the ruck and the ball playing of Conan, Doris, Furlong and Beirne have allowed a bit more of an unstructured game without Murray and CJ.

It'll be interesting to see can Ireland shut down the Welsh attack and stop it getting out wide. Furlong was defending the left wing last year for Zammits try!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It'll be interesting to see can Ireland shut down the Welsh attack and stop it getting out wide. Furlong was defending the left wing last year for Zammits try!

This has the propensity to create a James Lowe-shaped argument.

I dont want to go there!...or the rc..or the missed touch. Don't mention the WB

I guess my point around JGP is that he functions well with Sexton. Not so sure with Carty/Carbery. Same with Doris ..... fine player no doubt. But to me without Sexton that 8,9,10 unit loses a lot of it's potency. Sexton runs the show .... this is a big conundrum for AF not necessarily for this 6N but definitely for the WC. When does S.O. Else start a big game at 10 for Ireland? No point in that game being Italy or a meaningless AI.

Ringrose seemed to go off the boil last season. Looked like little boy lost. I haven't seen enough of him recently. Is he back 'on it'?

TBH ..... I'm not sure Ireland do 'unstructured'. Keep the ball rather than box kick seems to be the primary change. Makes sense too ..... especially if you are good at it ........ they certainly were against NZ.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Peyper also tends to not care much for player safety and may let a lot of things go that other refs would give out cards for

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Totally agree re our half backs. We are still way too dependent on Sexton at 10. But I think a huge amount of why we are looking at additional play makers in the back line is to try and address that. We had a lot more players stepping in at first receiver in Nov than previously. It was 1 of 2 things I wanted to see in those games (the other being more forwards getting more touches, which happened too).

Ringrose is back playing well. I thought he was very good vs NZ. He isn’t the guy to light things up, but he’s just such a smart player on both sides of the ball. Whether he starts at 13 or Henshaw does though will be interesting.

I’d also agree that we don’t play an unstructured game. Does anyone really these days? What we’ve really changed has been to increase options and have given players a bit more freedom in picking those options. So we aren’t as rigidly structured as under Schmidt, but that doesn’t mean we’re unstructured.

Ok yeah. Gibson-Park- Sexton works so well considering the Leinster centric team selection and thus the concern!

What i really liked about the autumn is that JGP was reading what was in front of him brilliantly and identifying where there was space outside. Also saw this with Ringrose where he works his way into position as a first receiver to create mismatches out wide. That's what I'm calling the bit of progression in unstructured play.

I think Ringrose is essential to Ireland in attack and defense. He broke his jaw in 2020. Then cracked it before 6N and then did his ankle against Scotland! so basically had played very little. Which is one the concerns for the squad going into the game.

e.g. JGP has played 142mins since NZ at start of Nov. Although I presume its similar for the Welsh?

• Advertisement
Advertisement