Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ozark [Netflix] (***SPOILERS***)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Just finished season 3. Delighted there is a (final) season 4. There is a certain suspension of belief in Wendy and Marty's hard sell technique success, but you can certainly see what drives them to it, via circumstance, and personality.
    Re the Breaking Bad comparison, I always saw it as just a '3 steps forward, 2 steps back' type frustrating-but-gripping style, regardless of the drugs and other background elements, but obviously the stakes in Ozark were far more continuously imminent.
    The pacing in the first two seasons wasn't the best, but season 3 is much better, with a lot more humour, and great dialogue. The whole family dynamic is entralling to watch, (Yellowstone, Succession mentions noted), so where scenarios might be a little hard to believe, the dynamic just brushes it aside. It's great tv.
    Love Julia Garner in this. I can't remember the last time I've watched Laura Linney, but boy she is a master at the insincere smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Tom Pelphrey as Ben was amazing, Emmy winning

18 Emmy nominations for Ozark but none for Tom :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    18 Emmy nominations for Ozark but none for Tom :mad:

That’s so wrong he was excellent in Ozarks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Will we be waiting years for season 4 with pandemic? 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Finished season 1, this is just fecking boring tbh, Ill read what happens for the rest on Wikipedia. Theres just something so flat about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thargor wrote: »
    Finished season 1, this is just fecking boring tbh, Ill read what happens for the rest on Wikipedia. Theres just something so flat about the whole thing.

Its gets better, ,myself and the wife left it half way through season two.
    Went back after many months and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Just finished season 3, jaysus that last scene!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Any news on season 4 or should we write this one off?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 81,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Filming supposed to finish next month and then it will be released in 2 parts to make 14 episodes in total, no release date for either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yet another show lost in the fog of 2020.

So. Knowing the type of shown that is, and that season 4 is the last ... who do we reckon is going to walk away alive here? Last seasons love wielding the butcher's knife.

My gut was going to say Wendy, but her hubris has been increasingly getting out of hand. She must be due a fall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users Posts: 60,267 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix continuing to break up it's final season of shows into two parts.

Season 4 part 1 drops January 21st 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just watched all three seasons.

Though they were very good, season three is a bit slower than the other two but still intriguing.

The one thing that occurred to me throughout season three however is that I realized I hate the Byrds.

They are really awful people, trying to portray this victimhood while allowing all the collateral damage to go on around them.

Ben and the therapist for example

Oh I don't think the show ever asks you to feel too sad for the Byrds; maybe, at a pinch season 1 when they're just trying to keep their noses ahead. But like many tales of this ilk, the slow creep of corrupting power and dissolving morals is where the show's seduction lies. Especially Wendy: the latter seasons' calamities are kinda on her; you could sorta see her former career in politics giving her this hubris to think she could manage a vicious drug kingpin.

Heck even the kids aren't blameless in this; though one imagines when the axe falls at the end of season 4, they'll be one of the few who can step away from events relatively intact.

Yes there are parts of season 1 and possibly 2 where I did have some sympathy, but it all gone by season 3, and as you said Wendy is the main culprit for the loss of any of that sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭billyhead

Wendy is a real tour de force in the series in season 3. She's got a shrewd head on her shoulders.

She's lucky to have a head on her shoulders at all.

She is going to cause the major downfall

There are some really great female characters in that show.

Wendy, Ruth and the bat s**t crazy Darlene are all brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭billyhead

Darlene is a brilliant character. Completely bananas. Taking on a Mexican drug cartel you would have to be.

Another teaser has popped up, with only a sliver of new footage;

• Advertisement

Netflix really do like breaking there finale seasons into two parts these days.

Trailer for part 1 which drops on January 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Surprised no comments on this. 5 episodes watched of the 7. Enjoying it even if its kinda stretching into Sons of Anarchy levels of ridiculousness. That's why it will never reach the heights of the likes of The Sopranos. Interested to see how it all pans out, alot of balls in play and some shifty new characters added.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭jj880

The 7 eps finish strongly. Its building nicely for the 2nd part.

The actress that plays Ruth Langmore is the outstanding performance for me.

But I agree its getting daft at times. I think this season being the last is a good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ruth is one of the best TV characters from the last few years. She's a brilliant actress.

She'll win awards on that last scene alone. YA FÚCKING CÚNT!

Robin Wright directed the final two episodes of this part of the final season and she did a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Julia Garner is always excellent but she was incredible in these first 7 episodes. Standout in every scene she featured in.

Nice little cliffhanger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I enjoyed the 7 episodes Ruth lights up every scene she's in definitely took over from Marty as the most interesting character.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Does nobody feel Ruth is veering into ham territory. Feels like in certain scenes she is overly "Ruthing" it to me. Having said that, she is very watchable.

Pity to see Darlene die. She was my favourite sub character. Absolute mentalist but when the cartel ordered her to stop and she gave them two fingers it was only going to end one way. Definitely feel that Ben is still alive. The fact we didnt see a body or him being killed is generally a good indicator. Plus the fact that Marty acts squirrelly (or as squirrelly as he ever gets) about the missing person posters implies he could turn up. If he was in fact dead, and how that all played out, he knows he cannot be traced so why get antsy about it? Going along with the missing persons line strengthens the foundations position. The car crash at the very beginning of the first episode. I hope thats not how part is gonna end ie on a never to be answered are they dead cliffhanger. The PI one feels will also play a major role in things alongside Maya, I dont recall Marty ever personally killing someone so that could be his final transition into arch criminal. Introducing the Shaw family business, while clearly throwing jabs at the Sacklers, is pretty silly. A global pharma company mired in controversy is going to get into bed with a Mexican drug baron? Come on like. I like the dynamic with Wendy and Jim, he is such a sleazy bastard but a fascinating character. Much to look forward to for the second half of the season, hopefully not too long to wait for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This show is fantastic. Absurd but highly entertaining.

The whole Ben thing though is ridiculous. It couldn't be any more obvious he'll appear sooner or later. Whether the intention is so we think he will, or will lead to some other surprise, remains to be seen.

Advertisement