Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crimes & Confessions [RTE1]

• 17-01-2022 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

This is what RTE do well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It just goes on to show how Ireland was one of the most corrupt countries in the world and dont get me started on inspecter Gerry o Carroll .Of all the people lives he destroyed or ended he still has the gaul to defend himself of wrong doing .How he has never been strung up and lynched is beyond me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

RTE do make excellent documentaries.

Last weeks episode was very good, missed tonights, will watch it during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought it was an excellent show, I must catch up on episode one. A lot of shows like this promise a lot, but are padded out - this was riveting from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

I saw part of the first episode, didn't know anything about the Lynskey case. The Sallins case was well done last night, I'd forgotten a lot of the detail. Extraordinary to think what was done in the Irish Courts at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

A judge fell asleep during the middle of the trial and later died - what a shambollix bannana republic it was

i reckon the guards knew damn well it was the provo's from the start but were too wary/scared to go near that hornets nest and choose instead a softer target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

The Kerry Babies next week, rent a gob still thinks he knows better than science can prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Mondays at 9:30 it's nearly always something worth watching. Maria Cassidys case files was brilliant, as was the Rachel O'Reilly murder programme.

Looking forward to tonight ,the Kerry babies .It made a name for Pat Mann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Going to watch tonights episode on the Kerry Babies investigation, I recall there was some unsavoury behaviour by investigating Gardai during this awful case.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

That's an understatement.

Going to watch this now 👍

I was based in a very well know tourist town in the late 90's and one of detectives involved in the case was , shall I say demoted and sent to the town, we're it was openly discussed.

My memory of this case is sketchy. Did Joanne have and lose a baby around that time?

Gerry O Carroll, interesting character to say the least , not at all sure why the troubles brought into this , its as if viewers were expected to sympathise with his tough early years, he strikes me as being a very, very bitter and a Horrid Git

My God he’s so arrogant isn’t he- he can’t even admit that the original Kerry babies report was a pile of tosh - such a disgusting individual - hope the Gardai are proud of him.

Why dont you watch the programe instead of talking true your arse

Yes she did , the child was buried on the family farm , Gardai didn't believe her and tried to pin the murder of a second child found on a beach , miles away on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Yes and then " confessed" as did her family to crimes they didn't commit!

I thought I just asking a question and I am watching it..

Thanks for the polite reply.

Thanks . That's what I thought. One horrible man, that O'Carroll

• Advertisement

Why a seasoned detective like gerry o'carroll opted to take part in these programmes is beyond me. If he thought he would paint himself and his colleagues in a good light he was badly mistaken. He must have consulted with prince Andrew before going in front of the cameras!

Really nasty individual. If I recall there was also the that the father of the child found on the beach was a then serving Garda (open to correction)

What's that response about , no call for such rudeness 😳

I was a young adult when the Kerry Babies scandal broke and it was horrific seeing how Joanne Hayes was being treated. O'Carroll is some piece of ****. How can any convictions they've been involved in be considered safe when these gardai were involved in the cases featured?

Extraordinary individual and not in a good way , I wondered did he ever have to repay that damages award he got after he sued the Hayes over that Book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

By all accounts the state was under serious pressure from the provos and the threat of a military coup so they both played dirty

I of course accept that but that absolutely doesn't excuse O Carroll's and colleagues behaviour in this case , dealing with the provo's and ordinary citizens two very different things .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

The prick takes part because he is an arrogant ****. He thinks he's untouchable like he has been all his life. He and his cronies have a lot to answer for. They completely obliterated innocent peoples lives and not one iota of regret. absolute assholes.

It shouldn't be forgotten how blinkered the Judicial system was and how they also treated Joanne. The basic principles of innocent until proven guilty not adhered to.

• Advertisement

Just catching up on episode 1.

Fun fact: the private investigator the family used, Billy Flynn, was the same one the McBrearty family in donegal used to uncover the truth after they were wrongly accused, harrased and heavier.

Hope they cover that case on this series.

O carroll proclaiming his life was treatened 3 times by the provo's you can be sure he did not use excess energy to track down these nut cases ,easyier to bully innocent girl into making a false confession .

What's very telling is the then Garda commissioner (Wren) was the first person to raise serious questions about the investigating gardai. That Tribunal was a thundering disgrace and the actual Murder has never been solved .

But the O Carroll fella, my god what an horrendous P***K

Didn't Carroll say on the programme that Hayes told him her baby was buried on their farm but rest of Garda there didn't allow a follow up visit....he seemed to back her up with that statement

Joane Hayes said she could 'show where the baby was buried' ,she even drew diagrams of location for O Carroll ,the guards searched and found nothing but where were they told to look by o Carroll .Only for finding Joane baby on the farm and her solicitor Pat Mann dogged defence ,Joane would easily have been convicted for the murder of baby John found in Caherciveen

• Advertisement

Wasn't Hayes bought out herself by the gardai and that's when baby found, but you also have to remember you couldn't/shouldn't dispose of the body of a baby in the way it was done.. whatever the circumstances

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The sad part of the three episodes was the hurt in the accused people’s eyes and having to still live with being abused by the state and these heavy handed guards. As for o Carroll it was good to let him show no remorse for their victims and show him up as a bully and what the cover up was all the way to the top with judges backing their forced evidence.

Drew Harris needs to look at these cases again and straight away cancel o Carroll’s pension and denounce him as a rouge Gardai.

After that heavy gang were exposed unfortunately it didn't stop some gardai being very heavy handed with the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Great documentary series from RTE, finished it tonight, madness what was going on back then and not a single person held to account for it. Did the Gardai take their tactics from the Guildford 4 and Birmingham 6 British Police questioning guide books? So many lives destroyed, lost and worst is those guilty of the original crimes are still going around. Fair play to all those who fought for justice at the time and since then. How many people never saw justice, potentially there could be huge numbers in jail still or died in jail as a result of this policy for questioning, a big enquiry is needed in to every single case any Gardai associated with these cases convicted a person on. Gerry O'Carroll taking part in this show is pure gold, what was he thinking. Guards in Auschwitz are still be held to account for their crimes, the same should be done with Gardai in these cases. Lots of material here for Netflix for some documentaries.

RTE has a lot to answer for using Gardai linked to these cases as subject matter expert for news stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I hadn't heard from the bould Gerry in years. He used to be a regular on the rent-a-mouth circuit at one time so I thought he might be in poor health.

There he was though, large as life and putting his size dozen in it at every opportunity.

• Advertisement

Who else apart from Gerry O'Carroll and PJ Browne and John Courtney made up the murder squad/heavy gang?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

And there are still a few of them I wouldn’t trust as far as I would throw them . It’s only when you have a run in with them that you realise what they are capable of .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

A very worthwhile series, you would hope they do another. As has been said, there is plenty of material.

Advertisement